Apr 14, 2020
Hello everybody,
I’m new here, just really looking for some help. I built my first PC about a year ago with the following specs:

i9 7900x
EVGA GTX1080ti hybrid
ASUS Prime X299-deluxe
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8 GB
Fractal Design Celsius S36 (AIO)
Phanteks Enthoo Pro full tower case
Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Samsung 960 EVO m.2
EVGA 1000 T2 Supernova

I had no issues assembling the PC and installing the OS but ever since it was built, certain applications such as Chrome and Norton antivirus have either crashed the PC during installation or have crashed the PC every time I open them up. Never could figure out the issue I just switched applications and everything was mostly fine. I do experience some crashes when stress testing and also while rendering videos and other cpu intensive tasks but these are pretty rare cases, even though CPU temps often reach 90-100 degrees while rendering.

I play games such as Total War and Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order with no problems at all but recently with the release of COD Warzone I’m encountering PC crashes almost every other game I play. The whole screen will just freeze up out of nowhere with no inputs responding from the keyboard and the audio will be stuck in a loud repetitive drone until I force the PC to shut down at which point it starts up again like nothing ever happened.

Initially I played at an uncapped fps (I have a ASUS 1080p 240 Hz monitor) on relatively high settings and encountered frequent crashes while averaging 140 fps, so I lowered my settings and capped my fps to 60 and this has helped it not crash as often but my PC does still crash every 5-10 games I play. I’ve reached out to anyone who could help and I’ve updated drivers and reinstalled the application and lowered settings in the Nvidia control panel and lowered the Modern Warfare priority within Task Manager-all with minimal effect and still relatively frequent crashes in game. Someone mentioned it’s probably my AIO unable to properly cool the i9 but my CPU only averages 70-80 degrees with uncapped fps and anywhere from 50 up to 70 degrees with it capped at 60. My GPU averages 50-60 degrees and reaches 97% load when fps is uncapped.

Really not sure what the issue is at this point but it’s getting frustrating trying to play with friends of mine and I’m disconnecting all the time leaving them without a teammate. Ive considered swapping my CPU to something less extreme but I’d love to get this PC running at it’s full potential if at all possible. No other application or game has had this issue and nobody I know who plays on PC crashes like I do. And tbh there’s no reason I should have to cap my fps at 60 with a 1080ti. Any advice you guys may have would be amazing! I’m pretty new to the custom PC world and I don’t know what I should do. Thanks!!

Solution
No overclocks were mentioned in my cursory scan (apologies if I missed it), so, can we assume this is running stock clockspeeds at default core voltages/speeds, no MCE enabled in BIOS (Asus used to default this to on, as plainly obvious be seeing all cores at max turbo, which is NOT stock behavior), no BIOS-initiated '10% overclocks' etc...? (You mentioned crashes during stress tests, so, might as well start there!)

What clock speeds (on all cores)/core voltages are shown in HWMonitor? During CPU-Z/bench/cpu-stress ?

Have you run an hours long Memtest 86 loop? or tried testing for stability with just a pair of RAM sticks? (Were your 4 sticks a quad channel kit, or, just tow dual channel kits thrown in?)
No overclocks were mentioned in my cursory scan (apologies if I missed it), so, can we assume this is running stock clockspeeds at default core voltages/speeds, no MCE enabled in BIOS (Asus used to default this to on, as plainly obvious be seeing all cores at max turbo, which is NOT stock behavior), no BIOS-initiated '10% overclocks' etc...? (You mentioned crashes during stress tests, so, might as well start there!)

What clock speeds (on all cores)/core voltages are shown in HWMonitor? During CPU-Z/bench/cpu-stress ?

Have you run an hours long Memtest 86 loop? or tried testing for stability with just a pair of RAM sticks? (Were your 4 sticks a quad channel kit, or, just tow dual channel kits thrown in?)

Reactions: helper800
Solution