i9-7900X VS i7-7700K

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Hi,

I currently have the i9-7900x and people at college keep saying that its a rip off and I wasted my money. As the i7 performs better and its a lot better than the i9 for a lot cheaper price. Is this true that the i7 is a lot better than the i9?

The graphics card which I have is the GTX1080ti. is the i9 better than the i7?

For what? Gaming? Yes a 7700k or now the 8700k and 9700k would be a bit better. If this is a gaming only build you wasted a lot of money on a cpu meant for rendering and whatnot. If this is also a workstation that needs a lot of cores and threads then a ryzen threadripper would've given you the same performance for less but this system would be ok.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016

Then there is probably no difference between the 2 CPU's only using those app's. Photoshop like a lot of RAM more than anything, and I doubt Power Director 15, a $60 video program is coded to take advantage of 20 cores or whatever the 7900x has.

Power director doesn't seem to like more than 6 threads so effectively a 7700k would perform about the same as your 7900x in renders. If you were using something like premiere it would make a bigger difference. Another thing to note is when do you do these renders and are these time sensitive or is it just hit the button and go to sleep?

If it's the latter then yes the I9 was indeed not a smart purchase.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016

So the end result is that I wasted my money on something which could of cost a lot less and perform better? Is the i9 crap then? And does the i9 7900x do anything at all to out perform the i7? Or do they both perform around the same when comes to gaming?

In your usecases the I9 is overall worse. So yes you wasted a lot of money on the I9 and it's x299 board. In gaming the I7 outperforms it due to higher clockspeeds and being based on a newer architecture. If you can still get a refund for this I recommend you go for a 8700k system.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Well ya I guess. But when I play games I don't really see any issues while playing with the i9 ?

And is it really worth me sending it back and 're doing the pc ? As it runs great for me on games like GTA V in ultra settings. And I don't really think I'll see any difference at all right ?

Well ya ok we're see like 3 more fps on the i7 . But again the i9 some times gets 3 fps more. So I don't see the issue with my i9 ?

I never said the I9 is a bad cpu. Just that it's a waste of money for what you do. It will do the tasks you do just fine but a much cheaper cpu would've done it the same if not a bit better in games. If you want the money back that you overspent on the I9 you can just move to a 8700K or 9700k (they perform basically identical so just get the cheaper option).

It's the software you use that you should benchmark with.

If you are just looking for a justification for your cpu I'll write you this:

The 7900x win in every single way when there is need for all of it's cores to be used or at least 8. However none of your programs do so, so whilst a benchmark like cinebench will show you it's better in the multicore test it will be worse in the single core test which is what you need more. None of the programs you use can use more than 6 cores so the 7900x with it 10 cores and 20 threads was indeed the wrong cpu to go with.

If you want your money back for it because you need it then go ahead and return it if not just keep it. Don't expect it to get better with time however. By the time games are using thos 10 cores your cpu will be far outdated. A good example would be the I7 980. It's a 6 core from 2010 and unless you do a good oc on it it will struggle to keep 60 fps in new games even tho all of it's cores are actually being used.

Amd did a similar gamble with the fx 8350 but that one is even worse of than the i7 980 due to the terrible single core performance.

tl;dr You bought the wrong cpu. If you want your money back and get something cheaper that would be better for you, you can do that. If not just keep it.