[SOLVED] i9-7940x coolers, settings, high heat!

seankor

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
Hey all!
Situation:
Under heavy load for which this CPU is used most of the time temperature of i9 7940x rises up to 100 degrees C. Idle is at 25 ish.
At 100 it seems to throttle down and keeps at that temperatures at about 3400 mHz and 137W .

now I am not sure which cooler is inside and unfortunately don't have an access to it. Trying to get the info.

1. Should Noctua NH-15D or CM MA624 or some good AIOs be able to keep processor running under 85 degrees even with boost on? It says max is 170W TDP at 4100mhz? Or at least under throttling?

2. I understand in BIOS I can disable this boost to keep procesor max at 110W and 3100 Mhz and would probably keep it ok and not lose much performance vs 3400 mhz?

3, Is there a way I can do this with software a atm I only have remote access to it and can't really go into BIOS. There used be some intel program where you could undervolt and probably limit other sutff? Oh, the XTU Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Or how could I do that?

Thanks a lot!

Solution
1-A)Impossible for anyone here to verify which coolers can do that but you, and even then, you won't know until you've swapped coolers and tested.
The reason is, there are variables we can't account for, such as ambient temperatures(room/case), air conditioning(yes/no), silicon lottery, Intel's use of TIM underneath the IHS(it's crap for these chips).
I can see what you're asking for being difficult on air and smaller AIO/CLCs without at least utilizing power limits for Turbo Boost.

1-B)https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-25m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz/specifications.html
I see 165w TDP, but that covers base clock. Turbo Boost is 1.5-2x base TDP. They(i9 X-series) all come...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1-A)Impossible for anyone here to verify which coolers can do that but you, and even then, you won't know until you've swapped coolers and tested.
The reason is, there are variables we can't account for, such as ambient temperatures(room/case), air conditioning(yes/no), silicon lottery, Intel's use of TIM underneath the IHS(it's crap for these chips).
I can see what you're asking for being difficult on air and smaller AIO/CLCs without at least utilizing power limits for Turbo Boost.

1-B)https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-25m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz/specifications.html
I see 165w TDP, but that covers base clock. Turbo Boost is 1.5-2x base TDP. They(i9 X-series) all come out to ~250w TDP, if I remember correctly.

1-C)Under... throttling? :??:

2)Don't disable boost. Much more effective to just adjust the power limit for Turbo Boost Short.
Instead of 250w, try with 220w, 200w, 180w...
If you enter 165w or lower for TBShort, then you should lower the value of TBLong so it's always less than Short.

3)Intel XTU, yes. Keeping it simple for you, don't touch anything more than the Turbo Boost Short Power Max setting. Found under Manual Tuning > All controls, within the application.

Reactions: seankor
Solution