[SOLVED] i9 9700k Overclock AVX offset always on?

Tex-Twil

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Hi,
I have the i9 9700k and I wanted to try to overclock it. From what I read, it is recommended to set the AVX offset so that the frequency is lowered when this specific instruction is being used.

I set the cpu frequency multiplier to reach 5Ghz and set 3 AVX offset. When I boot to Windows, the CPU frequency does not go beyond 4,7 Ghz. If I don't set any AVX offset in the BIOS, the frequency reaches 5Ghz as expected and the system is stable.

It seems like, when set, the AVX offset is always applied. Is that expected?

My complete build is the following.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Turbo EVO Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Enermax 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

thanks for your help

Solution
Perhaps a BIOS glitch on implementation w/ AVX offset?

You could always try Intel's XTU, in which case the AVX offset works great on my Z270, as it hits 4.7 GHz all core, but, Prime95/small FFTs w/ AVX enabled hits 4.5 GHz only.... (With MCE enabled in the BIOS but on default/auto multiplier control, and the higher speeds specified in XTU, while in Balanced Power plan, the system still goes as low as 800-1200 MHz when doing essentially nothing/loafing on the desktop, but, ramps all the way to specified clock speeds under load. In the event of a crash, or even an inadvertent power off due to power outage, the lack of a proper shutdown defaults the XTU to default settings, so all post boot up BIOS overrides are removed. (In my opinion...
Perhaps a BIOS glitch on implementation w/ AVX offset?

You could always try Intel's XTU, in which case the AVX offset works great on my Z270, as it hits 4.7 GHz all core, but, Prime95/small FFTs w/ AVX enabled hits 4.5 GHz only.... (With MCE enabled in the BIOS but on default/auto multiplier control, and the higher speeds specified in XTU, while in Balanced Power plan, the system still goes as low as 800-1200 MHz when doing essentially nothing/loafing on the desktop, but, ramps all the way to specified clock speeds under load. In the event of a crash, or even an inadvertent power off due to power outage, the lack of a proper shutdown defaults the XTU to default settings, so all post boot up BIOS overrides are removed. (In my opinion, best of all worlds approach!)

Good luck!

Solution