[SOLVED] i9 9900 Build Cooling

Dec 22, 2018
I see tons of what and how's but no practical so I thought I would share mine.

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
32g 3600 GSkill Trident
2TB 860, 8TB HD
850 EVGA Platinum
Asus 2080a8g Strix
Corsair 115i AIO
Phanteks LUXS case.

My 1st try was with an Asus Hero, but the Bios got screwed, and was never able to post past 3.6ghz, switched to the Gigabyte and it posted and fixed asus drivers but still wouldnt get past 4.4 for very long. Exchanged the CPU, fresh one popped to 4.7/5.0 with GBs OC tool. It will goto 5.3 for some benchmarks but is not stable with handbrake which was what prompted me to make the new build...So HEAT...SOB it gets hot. with a 50x multiplier it's pulling down 165w which translates to 98c @ 70f ambient.

I was researching serious watercooling even contemplating a chiller. I came across these Noctura 3000 rpm fans and thought I'd give them a shot while I was piecing together a new $1200 cooling system. Long story short, save your money and do a push pull on the 240mm rad and push some serious air into your case fixed everything. I've been nonstop encoding blurays for days, and am right now. It's 65F in the house MB is 20, CPU block is at 22.1, CPU is at 48, Cores are in to high 50's an 97-100 max load.

4 fans push pull on radiator plus 2 more pushing in air to the front all at 1600rpm, and the fans that came with the 115i are pushing more air into the case. I can actually get about 5c cooler if I hit the max button but thats too loud. So all 8 cores stable for days longer than most people OC for at 4.7g ripping through movies with handbrake as fast as i can copy them averaging about 100fps highest I've see was 160fps, and Im multi tasking ripping blurays organizing photos.

As for gaming. I'm running 2 4k HDR monitors set for freesync at 60 hz, 15 current games from Batman to Witcher all play great at 4k max in HDR and free sync. I get some FPS drops to the upper 40s but I can't see it except for the fps counter. Played 2 accounts simultaneously of LOTRO and both screens held 60FPS in a raid battle. I know folks will whine and poke at it, but for real world without spending crazy money that's what I came up with $4k including 2 32"4k viewsonic monitors which look WAY better than my overpriced 1080p Asus 32s.

Feed back is welcome. I am still curious if a better cpu heatsink with a better radiator and pump will do. I equalized the Corsair block to ambient but it's still about a 30 degree delta between the block and cpu...and no I'm not deliding it lol.

<MODERATOR EDIT for readability>

Solution
i'm still learning (went thru 2 gig z390 boards btw), but if OCing, you want to set your AVX offset to -2 or -3. It will drop your OC by 300 MHz if you offset -3 whenever the cpu encounters work loads with AVX instruction sets, and handbrake does use AVX. Mine's at 4.9 still so when i run handbrake i'll see OC drop to 4622 on cores that are running AVX instructions.

It'll save your cpu some - and as to ambient temp, mine runs in the mid 70s running handbrake, with the house at 72F. The wife unit bumped the thermostat up to 74F and damn if my temp alarm didn't sound (similiar to the sirens on board ships in WWII when there was an incoming attack) - it'd hit 85C or a couple of cores had spiked to 85 just from a 2F increase in ambient...
i'm still learning (went thru 2 gig z390 boards btw), but if OCing, you want to set your AVX offset to -2 or -3. It will drop your OC by 300 MHz if you offset -3 whenever the cpu encounters work loads with AVX instruction sets, and handbrake does use AVX. Mine's at 4.9 still so when i run handbrake i'll see OC drop to 4622 on cores that are running AVX instructions.

It'll save your cpu some - and as to ambient temp, mine runs in the mid 70s running handbrake, with the house at 72F. The wife unit bumped the thermostat up to 74F and damn if my temp alarm didn't sound (similiar to the sirens on board ships in WWII when there was an incoming attack) - it'd hit 85C or a couple of cores had spiked to 85 just from a 2F increase in ambient temp

I've been looking at liquid cooling but damn it gets confusing - after you find the setup you think you want, someone inadvertently states "XXX" brand is a pc of crap - and sends you back to scratch

i'm curious though, you said "...and the fans that came with the 115i are pushing more air into the case.". Do you have the radiator blowing heated air INTO the case?

re AVX, you might want to take a look at this thread
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3843186/folks-set-offset-avx-ocing.html

Solution
Dec 22, 2018

To the OP, it just occurred to me, - what are you using to monitor temps?

HWiNFO seems to be the flavor of the month, and it does work pretty decent, but also nice that it logs the highest temp your individual cores have hit during whatever period you have it running