[SOLVED] i9-9900 Operating temperatures?

Harpington

Honorable
Dec 12, 2016
So, I got this new PC, and it's rocking an RTX 2070 Super, plus an i9-9900, 16GB RAM. I'm hitting about 99 Celcius on Red Dead Redemption 2, max settings, should I be worried about my hardware degrading due to the heat? I really don't want it to burst into flames. I called up the guy who built it, he said there's a sealed watercooler unit on the CPU, but I can't open the PC or else it'll break the warranty. I'm not very experienced in any of this, I'm just a layman who bought a PC.

Specs:

Last edited:
Solution
thei9-9900 was/is a 65W TDP CPU...

If cooled with a little AIO, yet run with power limits disabled, boost duration limits disabled, and MCE on, it will likely draw just short of the same 150-160 watts at peak that the 9900K does.

Short term, you could make sure MCE is disabled, and/or, dial in (reign in/reduce) the desired max all-core clock speeds and/or core voltage via INtel's Extreme Tuning Utility.

Or, get a better cooler.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
In short bursts, that's not bad-bad, but it's not ideal. For long term use, that's a flat out no-no.

Do you at least know the size of said liquid cooler? Under the right workloads, even a 240mm one isn't adequate for this inferno of a cpu - at least, with out of the box settings...
You don't want to get this and already have to start fiddling around with bios yourself, do you? That's kinda why you paid someone else to set it up for you, right?

I called up the guy who built it, he said there's a sealed watercooler unit on the CPU, but I can't open the PC or else it'll break the warranty.
Great. Warranty BS. If they won't/don't offer to fix it, try to return and get your money back - or a replacement. That's not acceptable.

Harpington

Honorable
Dec 12, 2016
In short bursts, that's not bad-bad, but it's not ideal. For long term use, that's a flat out no-no.

Do you at least know the size of said liquid cooler? Under the right workloads, even a 240mm one isn't adequate for this inferno of a cpu - at least, with out of the box settings...
You don't want to get this and already have to start fiddling around with bios yourself, do you? That's kinda why you paid someone else to set it up for you, right?

Great. Warranty BS. If they won't/don't offer to fix it, try to return and get your money back - or a replacement. That's not acceptable.

No I don't, I simply took the computer home and plugged it in, Is there a way to check the watercooler without opening the case? I don't know if I wanna void the warranty only a day after I got this thing. I mean, if there's no sticker on the back, there's no warranty right?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The side panel is glass/acrylic, right? Look through it at the radiator. How many fans are on one side?
1 fan = 120mm AIO
2 fans = 240/280mm. To figure out whether it's 240/280, it shouldn't be too hard to measure the distance from one screw hole to another without opening it up.
3 fans = 360mm

Harpington

Honorable
Dec 12, 2016
The side panel is glass/acrylic, right? Look through it at the radiator. How many fans are on one side?
1 fan = 120mm AIO
2 fans = 240/280mm. To figure out whether it's 240/280, it shouldn't be too hard to measure the distance from one screw hole to another without opening it up.
3 fans = 360mm
The side panels are opaque, no glass at all.

I called up the guy who built it, he said there's a sealed watercooler unit on the CPU
if you explained to them the temperatures you're hitting and that was the only response you got i would definitely be returning it ASAP.

you do not want to be dealing with this lack of support for the lifetime of the system.
also, if they gave you no detailed invoice for parts included or any definite documentation forget this place and find somewhere worth dealing with.

Reactions: Phaaze88
thei9-9900 was/is a 65W TDP CPU...

If cooled with a little AIO, yet run with power limits disabled, boost duration limits disabled, and MCE on, it will likely draw just short of the same 150-160 watts at peak that the 9900K does.

Short term, you could make sure MCE is disabled, and/or, dial in (reign in/reduce) the desired max all-core clock speeds and/or core voltage via INtel's Extreme Tuning Utility.

Or, get a better cooler.

Solution