[SOLVED] i9 9900k + 2080 TI underperforming

Nov 20, 2020
Been a couple of months since I set up my PC. I see people with the same build as me pull roughly 200 FPS on Call of Duty Warzone, yet I only get 100 - 115 FPS on 1080 P (everything low settings).

I wanted to see if anyone could help me narrow down the issue with my build.

Computer Specs:
  • Motherboard: Maximus Hero XI
  • ASUS ROG STRIX 2080 TI
  • Intel i9 9900k
  • Corsair H100x Liquid CPU Cooler
  • 16 GB RAM 3600 MHz G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
  • Corsair RM750x PSU
Things I have already tried:
  • Ran DDU and reinstalled NVIDIA driver
  • Did clean Windows OS installation
  • Tried overclocking the CPU to 5 GHz, but not a huge improvement
  • Set my NVIDIA control panel settings to maximum performance
  • Set Windows power settings to favor performance
  • 2080 TI is plugged into the PCIe x 16 3.0
  • Running XMP profile (RAM overclocked to 3600 MHz)
  • 2 RAM sticks are plugged into the 2nd and 4th slots
I am fairly new to this, so I tried my best to supply as much information as possible. Let me know if I need to do anything else to get better answers.

Here is my user benchmark report - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/35693058

I ran power stress tests using OCCT on my CPU and GPU (overclocked the GPU using MSI Afterburner, the picture is below).

F8bNJm8.png

Here is some information after running the stress test for roughly 5 minutes. Do these numbers look okay?

tEQSohR.png

Here is a power graph of my CPU and GPU. Seems like the power for the GPU is fluctuating. Is this an issue? How much wattage should I be reaching with my 2080 TI?

xv9uWSw.png

Here is my Unigine Heaven benchmark:

buMtp3p.png

I really appreciate you taking a look at this!

Last edited:
Solution
I just installed Windows. I'm assuming the motherboard drivers were automatically installed?

Well, yeah there will be signed drivers for everything it can find and see, so to speak.

Check device manager for yellow triangles, probably aren't any but look to see.

Check the motherboards base drivers and utilities. Some of it you won't need but there could be a base level something or another missing causing this less than ideal performance.
Nov 20, 2020
Doesn't BIOS only need to be updated if I need to use the newer functionality? At least that's what I have seen online.

Also, I have turbo-boost enabled in the bios. And the temperatures are high because I'm running a power OCCT test. During gaming, the temps are roughly 60 and GPU utilization is around 80 %.

what are your temps during gaming, the 2080ti boost relates to the temps, if your temps are to high the card wont boost as high. Keeping my 2080 ti cool i can hit 2130Mhz on the core and 8000Mhz on the memory.

looks like your max boost only hit over 1750Mhz core and 7699Mhz memory

Nov 20, 2020
I am running at 3.6 GHz CPU and my temperatures during Warzone are 60 - 63 C. I am able to hit 8000 MHz and 2050 MHz core during gaming and GPU temperature stay around 70 C.

Nov 20, 2020
Did you use the motherboard provided drivers and such or let Windows load defaults?

I think I would check that, check BIOS, reset defaults on the mobo, go with stock XMP settings and see if this improves or gets worse.
I just installed Windows. I'm assuming the motherboard drivers were automatically installed?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

Well, yeah there will be signed drivers for everything it can find and see, so to speak.

Check device manager for yellow triangles, probably aren't any but look to see.

Check the motherboards base drivers and utilities. Some of it you won't need but there could be a base level something or another missing causing this less than ideal performance.

Solution