I9 9900K @ 5 GHz Temps running Prime 95 on air Cooling

Just a heads up about the i9 9900K temps etc on air cooling, NH D15.

System specs are in my Sig.

I9_9900K_Prime_95_Temps_.JPG

Added OCCT here for another point of reference.

OCCT_9900K.JPG

Yeah, cool, not as hot as some make it out to be at all.

I think it was the bios on some of the boards, I know when I updated mine to the F10 bios, the voltages were insane... 1.5V MCE...

So I went back to the F7 Bios and it works beautify with great voltages etc.

Tested it with Prime 95 and OCCT, rock solid.

nice temps, mine ran a bit higher with a noctua D15S until my mobo bricked

curious, how long you ran Prime95 for, in terms of stabilty testing?

what else i'm curious about, your system is showing 1.272V, while mine was at 1.225 up thru 4.9GHz, then the board went tits up (not from OCing). But i noticed the Toms review showed they ran 1.33V, with a -2 AVX offset - and the silicone lottery showed the same voltage and avx offset

Long enough to see the temps didn't increase about what I posted and the voltage stabilized.

About 30 Mins, same with OCCT.

Once they stabilize it really doesn't matter how long you run them, 30 mins or 24 hours from prior experience testing.

Ran a bunch of other tests also with no issues seen.

My case has excellent airflow, Cooler Master - Master Case 5 Pro.

Thanks...

When I updated the bios to GB's F10 that supposed to be the i9 Bios I was like @#$%&%$#@..... Is this *&^%$%#@*...

Then I went back to the F7 Bios (8086 Bios) and it works great.

Was the same thing for the most part with the 8086K, the old bios was crazy high voltages and the F7 Bios fixed it.

I had a hint about the F10 Bios, updated it with the 8086 and the Voltage went nuts so I really wasn't all that surprised.

thanks - my case has decent flow, but i was seeing temps in the 83-88C range - given the D15S isn't as capable as the D15, but it shouldn't have been the difference i saw, but i also was seeing power draw around 200W (192 - 196)

i'm still learning this stuff, but think you just learned me something - ie which BIOS to choose

Mine is about 179W to 180W.. @ 5 GHz.

before i installed my 9900k i pulled a straight edge across it, something i hadn't thought to do before, but after seeing a youtube video of a 9900k showing a pretty serious convex shape ie a hump in the center, thought i'd check mine

mine was the opposite, with a depression, that to my eye is about 2 thousandths deep and an area a little smaller than a quarter (25 cent pc)

xi7mHNm.jpg

when i pulled the cooler off to move the cpu to the Gigabytes board, the TIM (Kyronaut) was all in the depression, and around that depression was dry of any TIM - and i had put a "titch" more than the 3MM ball Thermal Grizzly had suggested.

i suspect that depression and being a little dry of TIM, that explains some of the difference in temps - my cpu turned out to be the problem in terms of not getting into POST, and it's on it's way home to UK - i'm hoping the new one arriving doesn't show the same depression - i'd hate to have to sand it down.

I'd be curious, if/when you pull your cooler off, if you can remember to pull a straight across the top, with a flashlight behind it to see how level your's is

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Is that Prime 95 Blend or Small FFTs?

Small FFT's

My temps are VERY good so I am sure it's fine.

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Honestly not as much as a difference between air and liquid as I thought. My case is huge with lots of airflow. My temps aren't that much different from you. First one is an hour of fft, second is 30 min of blend.

small%20fft_zps12f9bpau.png

blend_zpsfgedjb4g.png

I am running mine at 5 GHz MCE (all cores) so it's really even less of a difference.

4.7 GHZ, non OCed would be even lower temps for me.

TRENDING THREADS