[SOLVED] I9 9900k 5ghz with a hyper 212 evo

Coolbrandonr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2015
So I managed a stable all cores 5ghz overclock at 1.325vcore with my i9 9900k. My cpu never went above 75c during 4 hours of MW warzone. From what I gathered, the 212 evo is working way out of its pay grade, did I just get lucky or am I doing something wrong? Nothing crashes, everything performs well over stock speeds, and my ram is clocked at 3400mhz.

Solution
Its warm, but not dangerously warm. COD is not exactly a stresstest, but if this resembles your typical max load I'd say its ok. Will most likely catch fire under prime95 or Folding@home though.

If I would spent an obscene amount of money for a 9900k I would get a better cooler though.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Its warm, but not dangerously warm. COD is not exactly a stresstest, but if this resembles your typical max load I'd say its ok. Will most likely catch fire under prime95 or Folding@home though.

If I would spent an obscene amount of money for a 9900k I would get a better cooler though.

Solution

IDProG

Distinguished
So I managed a stable all cores 5ghz overclock at 1.325vcore with my i9 9900k. My cpu never went above 75c during 4 hours of MW warzone. From what I gathered, the 212 evo is working way out of its pay grade, did I just get lucky or am I doing something wrong? Nothing crashes, everything performs well over stock speeds, and my ram is clocked at 3400mhz.
In what resolution do you play CoD Warzone?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So I managed a stable all cores 5ghz overclock at 1.325vcore with my i9 9900k. My cpu never went above 75c during 4 hours of MW warzone.
Invalid. Unless you tested stability through the proper channels - Prime95, Cinebench R20, Aida64, etc. - then that's not confirmed stable.

From what I gathered, the 212 evo is working way out of its pay grade, did I just get lucky or am I doing something wrong?
The Hyper 212 is way underspecced for that cpu.
What you did wrong is your method of testing stability.

Coolbrandonr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2015
Invalid. Unless you tested stability through the proper channels - Prime95, Cinebench R20, Aida64, etc. - then that's not confirmed stable.

The Hyper 212 is way underspecced for that cpu.
What you did wrong is your method of testing stability.
Yeah, I forgot to mention I ran cinebench R20 to test the stability too

Coolbrandonr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2015

Yeah I plan on getting a closed loop water cooler, I just wanted to make sure It was okay to use the evo till then.

Yeah I plan on getting a closed loop water cooler, I just wanted to make sure It was okay to use the evo till then.
What is the make/model of your case?
The only aio coolers that are more effective than a top air cooler will be a 360, and that comes with some mounting questions.

I think you are doing quite well with your hyper 212.
I think you scored a well binned chip.
If the processor detects a dangerous temperature, it will throttle or shut down.
That is around 100c.
You actually may be throttling now undetected.
A noctua NH-D15 or NH-D15s would be an effective upgrade.