I just finished building a rig and was about to start building another rig
I wanted to know the following:

Can i overclock my i9 9900k to 5.5ghz stably and play games on it
If so what would be required further more has any of you ever done that before

Please advise

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah very unlikely without exotic cooling. Going beyond say 5.1ghz is territory of enthusiast overclockers looking to break benchmark records or something who don't mind quickly degrading their CPU. It certainly wouldn't be a good idea to run a 9900k at 5.5ghz and whatever voltage is required to get there 24/7 for something like gaming.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019
Yeah man, I have an i9-9900k using a NZXT x62 liquid cooler and It gets pretty hot at 5Ghz. I don't really feel comfortable OCing it higher than 4.7Ghz. From what I've seen, you don't even need to overclock the i9 to gain substantial performance. The most I've got is 5.1Ghz on all cores. Usually it stays around 4.9Ghz on all cores when using the 5Ghz profile from bios.

Apr 11, 2019
Wouldn't this be something that Kingpin would do using LN2 and a CPU pot?? :tearsofjoy: Not sure if you'll be able to reach that frequency while having a stable system without some serious cooling that a IHS mounted liquid cooler simply can't do. That requires some either IHS removal and direct die cooling or some serious lapping of the IHS.

Reactions: ivictori
Apr 11, 2019
This is basically something that would require the best of the best psu and vrms+ln2 or the even the cooler liquid helium. That is the kind of thing king pen or the other guy that steve burk talls about (whose name escapes my mind.) Would do.
Welllll not quite, its not a power devourer(hehe) like the i9-7980XE. As Anandtech stated, "[i9-7980XE] when overclocked to 4.4 GHz, will reach over 500W. It also means that the choice of CPU cooler is an important factor in all of this: very few off-the-shelf solutions[for cooling] will happily deal with 300W properly, let alone 500W." the issue with overclocking isn't the number of 'pixies' (my respect goes to the one who gets this reference) we can cram into the cpu. The issue lies with keeping the CPU cool enough to function when asking it to run so fast. For example, Seasonic has a 1300W psu which is normally used for handling both a 'pro-sumer' CPU like the i9-7980XE and a bunch of GPUs. There really aren't many radiators that can handle that much cooling (for ex. EKWB has their 240x38mm radiator (EK-CoolStream PE 240) is only able to dissipate around 325watts of heat with a fan speed of 2100rpm.

Reactions: ivictori
Ok, i know you know who i mean now with the devourer comment. How do you spell it lol. I knew the name but couldnt figure out how to spell it.
I remember Linus used a radiatior from a house to cool a cpu and heat a room all at once.
I wonder what overclocks faster. An fx 9590 or 9900k.
Edit found it:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9oip8Z4yMw
it is Roman aka Der8auer lol. Had to google it.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019
Thank you all for your honest opinions and seems i am gonna have to live without the i9 9900 k cpu for now
Well time to wait for computex 2019 and see what was amd upto since nvidia made their users happy after they introduced the ray tracing architect support for pascal