[SOLVED] I9-9900k - best cooling solution?

GingaMilla

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
I'm looking to upgrade my PC and go for a 9900k CPU but the issue from what i've noticed is the temps of the chip and i'm worried i'll just spend money for something that overheats. Would a Corsair H100x for example, keep the chip cool enough that it doesn't start to impact performance levels.

Thanks.

Solution
Your current 240 aio should work just fine.
But, as you say, they do not last forever.

Your case has 185mm headroom for a top air cooler.
Here is the noctua suitability link for 9900K:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-307
Any of the NH-D15/D15s coolers would be suitable. (165/160mm)
I suggest the s variant which is more compatible with tall ram and graphics cards in the first pcie slot.

Other 140mm dual tower coolers like the drp4 should be similar and perform about the same as a 280 aio.
I'm looking to upgrade my PC and go for a 9900k CPU but the issue from what i've noticed is the temps of the chip and i'm worried i'll just spend money for something that overheats. Would a Corsair H100x for example, keep the chip cool enough that it doesn't start to impact performance levels.

Thanks.
that cpu has (at base freq) a TDP of 95 watts, when shopping for a cooler i'd look at something like 125 tdp that should give you plenty of headroom

Personally i'd go for a quality air cooling unit, but that's up to you

Reactions: GingaMilla

GingaMilla

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
Is there some reason you believe that Kraken won't work? It is "technically" a better cooler than the other, at least by looks and apparent build quality. I am not sure, they may well be the exact same pump head.

I've had this cooler for over 4 years now. Last thing I want is for it to fail. Peace of mind getting a new one.

Reactions: punkncat
I've had this cooler for over 4 years now. Last thing I want is for it to fail. Peace of mind getting a new one.
that's why i'd opt for an air cooler, a water cooler has more parts that can fail, a decent aircooler can last forever (fan might die, but that takes a loooooong time)

my preference would be a dark rock 4 (200 tdp, very silent and reasonably cheap)

I suggest the s variant which is more compatible with tall ram and graphics cards in the first pcie slot.

Other 140mm dual tower coolers like the drp4 should be similar and perform about the same as a 280 aio.

Solution

GingaMilla

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014

Thanks for that. Just taken a look.

Would the 'chromax black' version be the same size?

Thats why I thought about Corsair AIO. I've got all the Corsair peripherals.
I use a 360mm h150i and it keeps me runnin cool as a cucumber. It's nice having the least amount of RGB/speed controllers as well across different brands, so all my fans and peripherals are controlled under icue.
The only thing that isn't is my mobo, RAM, and gpu. Feels good.