Question i9-9900k CPU overheating

Feb 8, 2021
Hello,
I've had my pc for a little over 1 1/2 years, and just recently my CPU has started overheating. I tried reapplying my thermal paste and cleaning my PC thoroughly, but its still reaching 80-85 C when playing COD. I'm not sure if that's normal for my specs, but I even bought a new AIO because I thought the pump on mine was broken. I'm not sure what to try at this point because I think my specs can handle this game at almost max settings (it did fine before my CPU started overheating), but I could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Specs:
RTX 2080ti
I9-9900k processor
16GB ddr4
Z-390 E mobo
h100i elite capillex AIO

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to see if the motherboard you're on has any BIOS updates pending. If you have a number of updates to go through, gradually work your way to the latest, taking note of any MEI/Chipset drivers you might need to install before moving onto the next BIOS update.

What OS version are you on at the moment? Pull up Task Manager and see what your system resource usage is like when the temps shoot up. Well, you are advised to have a 360mm AIO at the very least to take the heat on that processor...so :/

Feb 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to see if the motherboard you're on has any BIOS updates pending. If you have a number of updates to go through, gradually work your way to the latest, taking note of any MEI/Chipset drivers you might need to install before moving onto the next BIOS update.

What OS version are you on at the moment? Pull up Task Manager and see what your system resource usage is like when the temps shoot up. Well, you are advised to have a 360mm AIO at the very least to take the heat on that processor...so :/

Thanks for the reply,
I'm currently using 64-bit windows 10. I may have made a mistake because updating my BIOS was one of the things I tried as well, but I did it to the latest version instead of doing is gradually like you said. Is there anything I can do to revert that? I realize that I may need a bigger fan, but I don't understand why the temps suddenly started spiking now tbh. I've been playing these types of games since I got it with no issue. Is upgrading my AIO the next best thing to do?

Also, I'm still trying to learn the BIOS completely, but I did see that my clock speed for my CPU was 4700 when the default clocked speed is 3600. Would this be a factor? I tried to research under clocking my CPU because I thought the voltage may have been too high. (BTW I reset my BIOS settings to factory default because I thought it may have been overclocked somehow, but the temps were only slightly lower).

Thanks again,
Jacob

Feb 8, 2021
One other note: I've been considering upgrading my MOBO because I thought that it was an issue between that and the CPU, but I'm afraid of upgrading because I'm not 100% sure if that will fix the problem. I know it's a vague questions with lots of answers, but what is the best way to find out why it's overheating? I can find the solution, but I just need to know what the problem is.

Thank you!