[SOLVED] i9 9900k delidded with liquid metal - stability issues

Mar 15, 2020
Hi everyone,

First of all thanks for your help with this issue, its rather annoying.
Anyway, I have a 9900k and as I'm sure you all know it runs a bit on the hot side. So I delidded it and applied liquid metal and then replaced the IHS with a copper alternative. Now I am no expert at all this but I have done it before with the 7700k and achieved a rather respectful OC and more importantly stability.

I am currently running a 5ghz OC on my 9900k with voltage at 1.286 (according to CPU-Z) and my ideal temps are around the mid to high 30s C. Now when I run a Cinebench R20 the temps go up to around 88-92C and my score is around 4890. Based on what I have seen in other forums it seems this is on the low side. I'm not really one for chasing numbers but I am interested in knowing if this is an indication that something is less than optimal?

I have an AVX offset of 3 and when I push the volts any higher the test just will no finish and provides me with an error report. I am assuming this is due to an unsustainable increase in temps (mid to high 90C)

As for cooling I have a Noctua nh-d15 and it is a Fractal design Meshify C case with another 5 case fans. So in a nutshell I guess I am interested in knowing if I am doing something wrong here or if it is just a lower quality cpu?

Thank you once again and please do let me know if there is any info I have left out.

Solution
You can set it to do multiple runs. Open it, click on File and then Preferences.
Enter a number for Minimum Test Duration, which is measured in seconds.

If there is a report, it would be in Documents > MAXON > Cinebench_20.xxx
Mar 15, 2020
Hi,

Sorry about the delay but I have not been able to recreate the Cinebench R20 error report. The last few times it has either crash or completed.

Should it be able to complete multiple runs?

Also I find it has crashed a couple of times, but so far I have not been able to find a reason why. Also I know a bit of a silly question but does anyone have an idea where the CBR20 crash files usually are stores, really can not find them.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020
Hi MDD1963,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I had a fear this might be the case. I am no against a customer water loop but just trying to get a sense of what to expect with this cpu.

Thanks

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You can set it to do multiple runs. Open it, click on File and then Preferences.
Enter a number for Minimum Test Duration, which is measured in seconds.

If there is a report, it would be in Documents > MAXON > Cinebench_20.xxx

Solution