[SOLVED] i9 9900k downgrading to ryzen 3600 for my usage

name68

Prominent
Jun 20, 2019
Hello, i am playing with the idea of downgrading my cpu/PC. Right now i have i9900K and all i do with PC is gaming, and photo editing - i am professional photographer. I would downgrade to ryzen 3600 and save about 430 USD by doing so + i would have completely new pc with new warranties etc. I am not in need of money but saving is always nice. Previously I built PC with i9 coz i wanted to add video production to my portfolio, but I wont have time for it and i want to focus on my photo production. My gpu is RTX 2080ti ( always tend to keep the highest end possible gpu). Also I still would be able to upgrade to more powerful ryzens of next gen if I would need it. What is you opinion should i keep i9 ? Or save money and go ryzen 3600 ? I kind of feel that i9 is overkill. I guess there would be no difference in photo editing but what about gaming on 144hz 1440p monitor ? I already have a potential buyer. Thanks

Solution
I don't see the point honestly. Just keep what you have.

I used to be a part time wedding photographer and photoshop and especially Lightroom will eat thru CPU resources too. So having the 9900K for advanced edits and lots of layers will still be handy.

Then once you get into video production, just sell your i9 system then and go 4th Gen Ryzen or 3rd gen 3900X/3950X.
Hello, i am playing with the idea of downgrading my cpu/PC. Right now i have i9900K and all i do with PC is gaming, and photo editing - i am professional photographer. I would downgrade to ryzen 3600 and save about 430 USD by doing so + i would have completely new pc with new warranties etc. I am not in need of money but saving is always nice. Previously I built PC with i9 coz i wanted to add video production to my portfolio, but I wont have time for it and i want to focus on my photo production. My gpu is RTX 2080ti ( always tend to keep the highest end possible gpu). Also I still would be able to upgrade to more powerful ryzens of next gen if I would need it. What is you opinion should i keep i9 ? Or save money and go ryzen 3600 ? I kind of feel that i9 is overkill. I guess there would be no difference in photo editing but what about gaming on 144hz 1440p monitor ? I already have a potential buyer. Thanks
Ho would you be saving 430? You'd have to sell the 9900K, board and RAM for like 900 for that

I don't see the point honestly. Just keep what you have.

I used to be a part time wedding photographer and photoshop and especially Lightroom will eat thru CPU resources too. So having the 9900K for advanced edits and lots of layers will still be handy.

Then once you get into video production, just sell your i9 system then and go 4th Gen Ryzen or 3rd gen 3900X/3950X.

Reactions: GarrettL
Solution
Pretty rarely can folks recoup what a system's parts actually cost, as they are now 'used'...

Selling a complete system? Fine, but, hoping to get what something was/is worth new is often quite a tall order...expecially when dealing with $200-$300 mainboards, $550 CPUs, and $1100-$1200 GPUs.

If your current system is working fine, I'd consider standing pat on it, rather than risking restocking fees, shipping and insurance fees, hoping to actually receive money from buyers, stress of selling a complete system, etc...

Right now, you have one of THE fastest combos around...

If you don't game at 4k and/or are quite content with 1080P, you could likely sell just your GPU for $1000-$1100+, and replace it with a $400 GPU (5700XT/2060 Super) and still be 100% happy in gaming, if merely getting/extracting some money NOW from your rig is a goal....

TRENDING THREADS