[SOLVED] i9 9900k help

Aug 17, 2018
I installed the 9900k in my pc and im not really knowledgeable about overclocking and what not but of course i tried to check my temps on this cpu and it was idling in the 30's and when i ran cinebench it jumped to the 70s and it went into the low 80s. Im using the nzxt kraken x62 liquid aio but i dont know if thats normal. I used intel extreme tuning utility and it said i wasnt thermal throttling. But then I noticed that the max my cpu was running at was 4.7 ghz under load and it says it turbos to 5ghz. Idk if I need to set it to 5ghz manually through the uefi but I would expect it to go to 5ghz when under load. If someone can let me know if my temps are normal I would appreciate it and how would I get that 5ghz? Im using the asus strix z370e gaming motherboard. I tried looking up tutorials but they didnt really explain it well.

EDIT: Now that im stress testing it in xtreme tuning utility it occasionally says that im Power Limit Throttling. I didnt even touch the voltage or anything. Everything is set to default in the uefi.

Solution
i just finished setting up my 9900k up last nite, and i took a fred flintstone approach to OCing, as basically i'm not much above FF in computer literacy.

I adjusted mine up, starting the CPU ratio at 4.0 and vcore at 1.20V and ran Prime 95 vs 26.6 with small FFTs selected, and ran it for 20 minutes initially with HWiNFO running so i could watch temps and record the max temp any individual core hit. As i increased the core ratio up, i'd repeat the 20 minute test - when my system crashed i'd bump the Vcore up .5 volts and test again, if it ran the 20 minute test without crashing, i'd bump the CPU ratio again - ended up last nite at 4.9 and it ran Prime95 for 30 minutes without a hiccup (Vcore was at 1.22v).

Some folks run the Prime95...
i just finished setting up my 9900k up last nite, and i took a fred flintstone approach to OCing, as basically i'm not much above FF in computer literacy.

I adjusted mine up, starting the CPU ratio at 4.0 and vcore at 1.20V and ran Prime 95 vs 26.6 with small FFTs selected, and ran it for 20 minutes initially with HWiNFO running so i could watch temps and record the max temp any individual core hit. As i increased the core ratio up, i'd repeat the 20 minute test - when my system crashed i'd bump the Vcore up .5 volts and test again, if it ran the 20 minute test without crashing, i'd bump the CPU ratio again - ended up last nite at 4.9 and it ran Prime95 for 30 minutes without a hiccup (Vcore was at 1.22v).

Some folks run the Prime95 test far longer, but it's really a far more demanding load on the CPU than what i normally do (video rendering). After i was thru i rendered a couple of files, and it ran perfectly stable thru both with temps in the high 60s to low 70s, even though the CPU was showing 100% load. I was pretty happy with the rendering time reduction as i'd rendered these files on the old system and kept the time recorded.

Earlier this evening i bumped the CPU ratio up to 5.0 and for some odd reason, the Blck Frequency (or multiplier which ever is the more correct term) kept jumping to 103.98 during the Prime95 stress test, which gave me a clock speed of 5.1+. But even then my temps seemed to just stay in the high 80s, with one core showing 91C. Both the CPU ratio is fixed in my BIOS, ie no selection marked "AUTO" left in the block, and the BLCK multiplier is fixed at 100.0, again not "AUTO" selected

For cores, i have all cores selected, and MCE (multi-core enhancement) selected. Don't compare my temps to yours, i'm on an air cooler, noctua D15S

since you use XTU, you might want to try using Intel's HWBOT website - ie run a bench test, when it's thru it offers you the option to upload your score to their HWBOT website comparing to other users, (u can select other users with the same mobo and cpu) - for scores higher than yours, if you move your mouse over the dot on the graph representing one of those users, it'll display how compatible that users' settings are to your system, and ones up in the mid to high 90s, i used to download the settings, import them into XTU and let XTU run those settings to see how my system did with them

Solution

All sounds normal, temps and clock speed. Max Intel Trubo Boost is for one core at a time. For all cores at the same time turbo is 4.7GHz. Enabling MCE (Mutli-Core Enhancement) in the bios will allow all cores to boost to the max 5.0GHz.

As @The Original Ralph mentioned, vcore voltage will play a critical role in your overall CPU temps. It would be best to find the lowest stable voltage you can run your desired frequency to get the lowest temps.

*Power limit throttling.. I saw Gamer's Nexus test that and their 9900K would go higher than expected for the first 5 minutes (~150W) and then would level out at 95W. So I would expect that to be a pre-programmed Power Limit on the chip. I'm unsure how that would act when custom settings are used in the bios. I don't even remember if they were running their stock or not. Probably stock.

Aug 17, 2018

The multicore enhancement is set to Auto. When I disabled it, my cpu ran at 5ghz all the time even if i was idle on my desktop. I was checking with task manager. Shouldnt the cpu be running at the base speed (3.6 ghz) on idle? Thats what I would assume since theres no load.

Aug 17, 2018

Idk if i got unlucky with my chip but as of right now im running 5ghz all cores with MCE on and my avx offset is set to Auto i believe. Im not exactly sure as to what to put it on but i just left it auto. On the other hand im currently running at 1.3v and i ran cinebench and scored 2060 and my max temp was 90 Celsius. As soon as I ran the test it shot up in the 80s. My idle temps seem fine im running high 30s low 40s idle. Idk if those temps are normal considering im using an nzxt kraken x62. Any advice on what I should do?

i don't know i'd say you were unlucky - that looks pretty good to me

when tomshardware benched the 9900k they indicated they set the AVX to -2, and the Vcore to 1.33

01n8QqP.jpg

here's a link https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-cpu,5847-2.html

as far as unlucky goes, i think i bricked my mobo this morning. Found that article on Toms last nite, and saw the 1.33V, and wondered how i was running 4.9 OC at 1.22V - noticed Asrock had a new BIOS release that indicated improving the power limit and better OC performance, so i flashed it - and that was all she wrote. I flashed it using 'Instant Flash" from a USB stick that i wiped twice, formatted correctly and it won't go into POST - get an LED error indicating "65" which by the manual sez 'chipset initialization error" - and to clear CMOS and try again. After 12+ trys, no love

Aug 17, 2018

As of right now I think Im stable. I actually ended up decreasing my temps by like 7-10 degrees Celsius by putting the performance fan curve in the nzxt CAM app. I realized I had it on silent which was causing these high temps. The max it got on cinebench was like low 80s i believe and idle its now sitting at low 30s. I can probably overclock it more slightly but im satisfied with what I have as of right now. And most likely my temps wont even hit 80 since Ill be gaming. It only hit 80 when the cpu was fully underload. Sorry to hear ab your motherboard. Guess it was one of those unlucky moments.