[SOLVED] I9 9900k High Temps

Shrek07

Honorable
Mar 12, 2017
Hello guys i just bought today an i9 9900k,and I was wondering if I also should change the cooler I have is a DeepCool GAMMAXX 300,I'm getting around 50-60 C idle OC 5ghz ,and 100C in Cinebench while stress testing.

If I need to change the cooler what would you recommend for this case Nanoxia Deep Silence 3.

Thank you.

Solution
... i9 9900k ... DeepCool GAMMAXX 300 ... 50-60 C idle OC 5ghz ,and 100C in Cinebench ...
Just FYI, your cooler is only marginal for a 4 Core 4 Thread processor at stock settings; not an 8 Core 16 Thread processor under any circumstances, let alone overclocking. Moreover, your cooler uses the same problematic "push-pins" that Intel stock coolers use, which are notorious for being deceivingly tricky to get the pins fully inserted completely through the motherboard and securely latched. Push-pins cause a disproportionately high percentage of problems with high Core temperatures, which may be the reason for your high idle temperatures.

Until you can replace the cooler with a solution that's as appropriate as your case constraints...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Definitely inadequate cooler, and your options are limited too; that chassis is NOT helping.

https://www.nanoxiausa.com/products/deep-silence-3-atx-mid-tower-case-black
Max CPU Cooler Height165mm
I prefer to subtract 1mm from the max to be on the safe side. These are just a few of the best air cooling options: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/xCL7YJ,B8rcCJ,F3gzK8,YsHRsY/
Even with those coolers, you probably need to kill the 5ghz OC...

Max Radiator SizeRear: 120mm
Pfft! Sorry, not happening on a 120mm hybrid cooler. That's not any better than the cooler you currently have.

Shrek07

Honorable
Mar 12, 2017
Definitely inadequate cooler, and your options are limited too; that chassis is NOT helping.

https://www.nanoxiausa.com/products/deep-silence-3-atx-mid-tower-case-black
Max CPU Cooler Height165mm
I prefer to subtract 1mm from the max to be on the safe side. These are just a few of the best air cooling options: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/xCL7YJ,B8rcCJ,F3gzK8,YsHRsY/
Even with those coolers, you probably need to kill the 5ghz OC...

Max Radiator SizeRear: 120mm
Pfft! Sorry, not happening on a 120mm hybrid cooler. That's not any better than the cooler you currently have.
Is there anyway to have safe temps with msi game boost on with one of the coolers that you linked?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Definitely would not be using a core boost on a 9900K with that cooler.....Now, with that said the 9900K is capable of normal operation up to and around 100C. It will start throttling a bit before then.

If you are seeing 50-60 on idle there is certainly a problem going on from one source or another.
Drop the side panel and see if temps drop significantly.
If they do you should possibly consider more case fans or even a new case.
If they don't you should consider that you may not have a good paste application, screws tightened evenly for the mount, or simply just inadequate cooling.

Given the performance and heat these chips are known for it would be a darn good reason to consider (perhaps) and AIO and a case with great air flow.

Edit- also, you don't mention, but with a chip like that to see it's true potential you need to have it on a GOOD motherboard with sturdy VRM and cooling potential.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
it actually lock my cores to 4.80ghz
~Yeah, that's worse than what the cpu should normally do... get rid of that.

anyway my pc just restarted
Post the rest of the PC specs, for example:
CPU: we already know this
Cpu cooler: we already know this
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B560-I Gaming Wifi
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200MHz DDR4)
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3060 Eagle OC
Storage: Crucial P2 1TB M.2 NVMe
PSU: Silverstone SX-700 G

Shrek07

Honorable
Mar 12, 2017

Motherboard: MSI z390 Tomahawk
RAM: 16 GB Hyperx DDr4 3200mhz XMP on
GPU: RX5700xt aorus
Storage: Intel M2 SSD-1TB Hard
PSU:
Seasonic Focus GX, 80+ Gold, 750W

Shrek07

Honorable
Mar 12, 2017

Is there anyway that this cooler will fit Cooler CPU Noctua NH-D15 or Noctua NH-D14 or be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

50-60C at idle is horrible. How much juice are you feeding it? Game Boost is horrible.

Have you determined a baseline temp/voltage/performance profile? You're just shooting a shotgun in the dark if you don't do that fist. Reset all overclocks, overvolts, timing adjustments back to stock (except maybe the 3200MHz XMP profile) and run some thermal, voltage, and stress tests.
Once you are armed with those results you can start your overclocking journey! "Remember to keep arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times. The i9-9900k will eat small children (coolers)." :D

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is there anyway that this cooler will fit Cooler CPU Noctua NH-D15 or Noctua NH-D14 or be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
1st one: Does not fit.
Reason: The front fan of the NH-D15 has a low profile memory clearance of 32mm. The current ram is 34mm tall.
Front fan would need to be raised 2mm, changing the total height of the D15 to 167mm. Now, you cannot close your side panel...

2nd one: Does fit.

3rd one: Did you not see the partpicker link I posted earlier? That one was already listed there.

Reactions: CompuTronix

CompuTronix

Intel Master
... i9 9900k ... DeepCool GAMMAXX 300 ... 50-60 C idle OC 5ghz ,and 100C in Cinebench ...
Just FYI, your cooler is only marginal for a 4 Core 4 Thread processor at stock settings; not an 8 Core 16 Thread processor under any circumstances, let alone overclocking. Moreover, your cooler uses the same problematic "push-pins" that Intel stock coolers use, which are notorious for being deceivingly tricky to get the pins fully inserted completely through the motherboard and securely latched. Push-pins cause a disproportionately high percentage of problems with high Core temperatures, which may be the reason for your high idle temperatures.

Until you can replace the cooler with a solution that's as appropriate as your case constraints allow, you can test for a loose push-pin by watching your Core temperatures while you push down and hold each corner of the cooler for about 30 seconds. When you see your Core temperatures drop, you've found an improperly seated push-pin. You can also check the push-pins by closely and carefully examining the back of the motherboard using a strong light and an eye for detail. All four push-pins should appear to protrude equally, with no differences between any neighboring pins.
... msi game boost ...
It is not recommended to overclock using “Auto” BIOS settings or motherboard OC tuning features such as MSI Game Boost, as significantly more Core voltage than necessary is applied to maintain stability, which needlessly increases Power (Watts) and Core temperatures. It's instead highly recommended to use only "manual" Vcore in BIOS. Most overclocking guides explain how.

CT :sol:

Solution