Question i9-9900k Locks at 4.7 with XMP

Feb 13, 2019
Not sure if I should be in the CPU section or the Memory section. I have an i9-9900k. My motherboard is the Asus Maximus XI Extreme. My ram is the GSkill Trident Z 3866MHz. If I use my ram's overclock @ 3866MHz (Using XMP and without). My CPU locks at 4.7GHz. No mater what overclock I put on my CPU. I can down clock my ram to 3600MHz and the CPU's overclock works fine. Not to mention anything above 3600MHz on my ram, will cause my Motherboard to do a ram check every time it boots up. Would Intel's integrated memory controller (IMC) cause this or is my ram not able to operate at the specified speeds?

Feb 13, 2019
Have you done a "set to system defaults" on the BIOS yet and tried again?

So what is the CPU behavior like, will it just be stuck at 4.7ghz neither boosting higher or downclocking at all?
I reset to defaults and reinstalled the latest bios. It will do everything normally. Down clock and everything, just wont go above 4.7GHz. Guess I should have reworded it. As I said though. Lowering the speeds on the ram allowed the CPU's overclock to take affect. 5.0GHz stable just if I raise the ram speeds the CPU's oc wont go above 4.7GHz.

zhiyeliu

Contributing Writer
Editor
Jan 24, 2019
See if the Multi-Core Enhancement option is enabled. If not, the Intel Core i9-9900K will obey Intel's Turbo policy, which is 4.7GHz across all cores.

Feb 13, 2019
I don't know much about the motherboard, but if the bios is up to date than it might just be a limit to how much the VRM can handle.

The VRM can handle it. Ive read up on the VRMs.

He has a Z390 motherboard though, it should be able to handle a 9900K dead stock.

Either way, computerjoe makes a good point, try increasing the CPU Current Capacity to max.

I have it all maxed out.

See if the Multi-Core Enhancement option is enabled. If not, the Intel Core i9-9900K will obey Intel's Turbo policy, which is 4.7GHz across all cores.

I have it disabled. Not to mention I have it disabled right now and I have a stable 5GHz OC.

Last edited: