Question i9-9900K now or wait?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

R_G_S

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2012
Was about to build a new rig based around the 9900K in early May, as I thought the next update of Intel processors wasn't coming until either late 2019 or 2020 (Ice Lake) and I can't wait that long.

However it seems that I somehow missed the news that a refresh is likely this summer (June-August?), with the top tier 'Comet Lake' chip being a 10-core part.

I'm not in the position to wait and wait and wait (until 2020 at least), but am I correct in thinking that this 10 core processor is likely coming soon (say 3 months) and will not only have more cores than the 9900K but should also be faster (+ prob around £150 more expensive)?

Also, and I think I'm fairly safe on this one, we're not expecting an update to the 2080 Ti any time soon, right?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have very happy with a Quad Core and most stuff really haven't been optimized to use one and they coming out with these huge multicore things. I have upgraded to a Hex Core ( i7 8700k & was drifting around between that and the i7 9700k ). Have a friend who built a Server using the 299WX Threadripper. 32 Cores, 64 Threads.

There are premade replacement front panels for the TJ07 you can purchase, but the cost of them is right up there with just getting a decent case to begin with.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind having a case like that for a mod project, not because I need it, but just to do for fun. Could turn out to be something like this with 2 or 3 x120/140mm front fans. It wouldn't be very hard to eliminate those 5.25" drive bays and repurpose that area for intake fans like I've done on other cases and as seen in the mockup below.

Concept.

vpj8za.jpg

Last edited:
I have very happy with a Quad Core and most stuff really haven't been optimized to use one and they coming out with these huge multicore things. I have upgraded to a Hex Core ( i7 8700k & was drifting around between that and the i7 9700k ). Have a friend who built a Server using the 299WX Threadripper. 32 Cores, 64 Threads.

Does this have something to do with this thread, or are you just sharing that for the heck of it?

Reactions: coastie65

R_G_S

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2012
Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I suppose I am a bit attached to the case; I've had it a long time (was bought at the launch of the QX6700 processor...), but the main issue is that I can't find anything I prefer the look/design of (without blowing the budget and even then options are very limited).

COOLING
In terms of cooling, yeah it's a bit of an odd one. I'd have thought the CPU would be OK as it has a direct feed of fresh air from the 2 90 mm rear fans (rear), with the hot air being removed via the 2 120 mm fans (top). This would be with the cooler mounted to push air from left to right (when viewing from the RHS of the case) in line with the rear fans' direction. This could be reversed with the 120 mm fans as intake and the 90 mm as exhaust (rotating the cooler 180). Not sure what would be best really; the rear intake delivers fresh air directly onto the CPU cooler, but requires a 90 degree shift to remove it (letting some remain in the case), whilst using the 120 mm fans as intakes fixes this issue, it does not deliver as direct a supply of fresh air compared to the former option.

The guy in the YouTube video (linked by Bearmann) seems to have mounted the D15 facing upwards though which, along with the above, is why I asked about orientation (it struck me as unusual...). It does appear that the D15 will fit the case with certain MBs, but as it's technically too large not sure I'd want to risk it. If I stick with the case and right now that does seem about 50/50, I think the D15S or U12A should just about handle a stock 9900K.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4UAu4w2Wag

The drive bays are very well covered in terms of cooling, though the graphics card is not well catered for as pointed out by 1LiquidPC and I suspect this is the main problem area. I have had a graphics card die on me in the past, though the machine does see very heavy usage so unsure if the case was to blame or not. There's a lot of open space inside which is a bonus; it's certainly not cramped + as mentioned I won't be overclocking or going SLI.

CASE THOUGHTS
So then what to do... That you guys are clearly unsure as to whether the TJ07 is up to the task is obviously a concern, thus I have looked again at other options.

What do you think of these:

Lian Li PC-D600
http://www.lian-li.com/pc-d600/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN4NHYH6KZc

Lain Li PC-V760
https://www.caseking.de/en/lian-li-pc-v760b-big-tower-schwarz-geli-799.html

I note that they are both now old models, but I can't find anything current that I like the look of with a build quality to match. Both are probably overkill in terms of size (though same could be said for the TJ07); I do like the compartmentalised aspect of the D600 though the V760 is prob more contemporary design-wise.

Thanks again. Hopefully nearly there now...

Last edited:
I've always had a soft spot for the HAF series from Cooler Master. They're full tower cases that can accommodate pretty much everything you want to throw at them and have superb customization options inside. Plus they have plenty of cooling "by design" (grid modular).

As for Cooling, I also have my D15 pushing air up with my 2700X, as it is aligned with the upper fan and seems to be working perfectly fine; also, hot air goes upwards, so...

Cheers!

R_G_S

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2012
Thanks for the reply, Yuka.

I had a look at the HAF series, but they're not really to my taste. I'm clearly in the minority here as (for example) I'm no fan of the look of the AORUS Master Z390 motherboard (though will get one anyway as a good product), but almost every review I read starts by complementing the looks! In addition to that, the sort of cases I like, minimalist designs with high-end audio/server-style looks, don't really seem to be made any more - or at least not with the build quality to match.

Darkbreeze, you mentioned modding. It's not for me, but the case does seem very popular in that regard. Here's a video you might find interesting:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRHG1E42QBE

Also some info on the TJ07, including an interview with one of the designers (quite long though!):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI5LTnRojxY

Still umming and arring case-wise... Frustratingly the Lian Li PC-D600 is now listed as 'bought to order' where I was looking and doesn't seem to be available anywhere else. I have a sneaking suspicion that 'bought to order' actually means 'unavailable,' but dropped them a line to confirm. EDIT: Yup, 'end of line' as expected...

Thanks again, everyone.

Last edited:
You know, cases ar personal. That case is HUGE! I don't mind plastic fronts if they are made to look good and they match well. I'm not a fan of acrylic windows, though- tempered glass or no window at all.

What about the Lian Li pc-o11 air?

Look at this one too, the Corsair Obsidian 500D:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Obsidian-Series®-500D-Premium-Mid-Tower-Case/p/CC-9011116-WW

and you always have to consider Fractal , e.g. the Define R6 USB-C Gunmetal – TG:

https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r6-usb-c-gunmetal-tg

Last edited:

R_G_S

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2012
Thanks guys,

I think I looked at the Cosmos previously and rejected it as a bit too 'flash' for my taste, but I'll take another look this eve.

I also looked at the TJ11 (https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=292 ) but that's over £400 and is a little on the large side...

I will checkout the Corsair Obsidian 500D later. I dismissed some of the other Obsidian cases for the faux aluminium finish and build quality issues, but this looks promising at a glance. Will look at the Define too - do these cases with solid fronts deliver sufficient cooling though (via the slits in the side)? I ask as I came across this on my travels: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li-pc-8fb-midi-tower-case-black-ca-76g-ll.html. Not wow-eee design-wise (a bit too old school even for me, though could be worse), but I wonder how much air flow you'd get even with 3 120 mm fans up front?

I did check out the PC-011 AIR as despite the cladding being plastic I quite like the utilitarian look. Thing is though it only has 150 mm CPU cooler clearance so wouldn't even fit the NH-U12A.

Also prefer glass to plastic as far as windows are concerned, but not so fussed with the cases I mentioned (PC-D600 and TJ11) as the rest is well made and it was before TG became commonplace. Windows def not a big deal for me though, prob prefer without anyway.

Thanks again!

I did check out the PC-011 AIR as despite the cladding being plastic I quite like the utilitarian look. Thing is though it only has 150 mm CPU cooler clearance so wouldn't even fit the NH-U12A.

Well, you know there is a world outside of Noctua ;)

In that case we would use one of these:

The Fractal Define series will deliver sufficient cooling through those slits plus you can mount fans on the top and bottom if you need them. The previous model, R5, is still available and allows for side mounted fans too.

The Fractal Meshify C is also very popular and allows a lot of cooling through the front mesh panel, though for maximum cooling I think you have to replace the provided fans with better ones. It's more compact than the R5/R6.

https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/meshify/meshify-c

Last edited:
The design of that case was intended for use with systems of the era in which is was created. It was not designed to be used with a 9900k, or any modern system really. Back then, there was far less NEED for airflow over components and through the heatsink like there is today. The TDP of processors was much lower and could be managed without actively exchanging as much ambient vs internal air as there is now.

With that design, with the two 92mm fans as intake and the air path going straight on out the top through the two 120mm fans, not only is it not going to do anything at all for the CPU cooler, it's not doing a thing for the rest of the hardware such as the southbridge, memory, graphics card, etc. That airpath might as well not exist at all except for some residual cooling over the VRMs.

I certainly understand your attachment to a case you've had a long time, and prefer, but sometimes when you want "X" (With X being a high TDP platform and big graphics card) you need to do "Y", whether you like it or not. In this case, without flipping those 92mm fans around as exhaust in addition to the top fans being exhaust, and putting some intake fans into the bottom or front of the case, I just don't see it being realistic. I could be wrong, but I really doubt it. Even people with cases specifically designed for intentionally great airflow through the case tend to, in some situations, have difficulty managing thermals on this platform with that or similar high TDP processors. Keep in mind, there is more than JUST the CPU thermals to worry about. VRM throttling, graphics card temperatures, southbridge, memory, these are all things that could be affected by the obvious lack of airflow THROUGH the case, in addition to the CPU cooler itself.

With the design of that case, regardless of which way you turned the CPU heatsink (And there is really only ONE way to correctly install it, which is normally a front to back and out the rear exhaust airpath, if you don't want to be using heat from the graphics card to try and cool the heatsink) I can't see any way of getting fresh air INTO the heatsink when it's going directly from those back (And THAT is a ridiculous design, even for an older tower) fans straight out through the top.

Perhaps, if you have your heart TRULY set on keeping this case, and don't feel up to the task of doing the modifications yourself, you could contract somebody to do it for you. There are a good many places that do mods professionally around the country, and the world really. If I lived close enough to you, heck, I'd do it for you.

Another option might be to completely block off the mesh on the opposite side of those bottom intake fans in the lower compartment, and open up the path from bottom to top compartment a little bit, and then flip those 92mm fans around so you have four exhaust fans in the top and rear and at least two (Maybe even add another if possible to the bottom) intake fans in the bottom. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be BETTER anyhow.

If you simply want a big case with good airflow and decent quality that isn't terribly expensive, the Corsair 750D might be a good choice. It's not flashy. It's pretty basic and it's only 100 bucks.

PCPartPicker Part List

Case: Corsair - 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $109.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-20 13:19 EDT-0400

These might also be options.

The Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Prod...SID=&cjevent=1c4b71497b2411e9824700060a1c0e0c

The Fractal Define R6 is an amazing case.

Phanteks Enthoo Luxe is very nice, and loaded with features as is the Enthoo Primo and Enthoo Primo aluminum.

There are many others out there as well. I do like you case, but not as is. It would require some significant modifications, in my opinion, to make it realistic for use with the hardware you have planned to go with.

The Corsair 750D might be a good choice since you don't mind the acrylic window. It's on sale now in the US and perhaps too in the UK. I chose the Lian Li PC-O11 Air over the Dynamic as the Dynamic is geared toward water cooling. Phanteks makes some very nice cases too.

R_G_S

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2012
Thanks for the detailed replies, guys. Just skimmed, but will re-read and then do some research.

Bit bummed about the TJ07 really. Whilst there are clearly a lot of technically better options available today, to my eye many seem lacking - for some reason I just can't find much enthusiasm for them. The simpler ones for £150 and below tend to look cheap (compared to the TJ07) and the more expensive ones often just add advanced RGB features and/or more glass... Not sure why exactly, but the Lian Li and SilverStone models just seem more refined, at least some of them - certainly not all!

What do you make of the PC-V760 and D600, linked above (though the latter's prob no longer a possibility due to lack of availability)? I even have a soft spot for the oddball TJ11, though that's almost certainly too big and too much money, I dig the super utilitarian, tank-like design.

Anyway... I'll now go through your suggestions and post again tomorrow.

Just one last thing... Early on in this thread, before the case ventilation became an issue, we were struggling to find coolers suitable for the 9900K at 162 mm and below (that being the TJ07's max). I was under the impression that the NH-D15 was the preferred (air) cooler for the 9900K, but being 165 mm was not an option for the '07, thus it was suggested that the U12A or D15S would also do the job, just not quite as well (with Darkbreeze not even 100% these two would be up to the task). Thermalright's LGM was another option under consideration. Now you both suggest the PC-011 (AIR and DYNAMIC versions) which has a max clearance of just 155 mm, with Bearmann suggesting the Dark Rock TF CPU cooler with a height of only 130.8 mm... Am I missing something here?

Right, back soon!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
So the simplest solution would be to forgo aircooling and get a decent 240mm AIO in top exhaust? Is that a possibility? It'll have generally the same performance as a NH-D15S, with the advantage of almost 0 cpu temp adding to case temps, leaving only the gpu as a major source.

It's either that, or break out the dremel tool.

But even if he puts an AIO in the top there is relatively no air going into the case to supply it. It's going to choke on it's own self. That is a fairly well sealed up case, and there's no way those two 92mm fans are going to supply enough airflow to feed those dual 120mm fans on the AIO up top.

I think if I were going to do water cooling in that case, I'd do what was suggested before and put the radiator down in the bottom compartment directly up against the vent on the right hand side. That could work as there are already dual 120mm fans on the opposite side of the same compartment. Even better I think would be mounting the radiator with intake fans on the left side mesh panel and moving the fans already there to the right hand panel as exhaust.

THEN the two 92mm fans that are intake in the upper compartment along with the dual 120mm exhaust fans in the top, might be enough to handle the GPU and other components. Maybe. I'd still like to see more overall airflow through the upper chamber, but I think that COULD work in a pinch IF a radiator can be made to fit down below AND if the water lines and pump will reach the CPU with it mounted down below. Assuming of course that the OP is even willing to USE water cooling.

A few questions about your usage for the case. Do you NEED, or USE, any of the 5.25" drive bays in the front panel?

Do you require the case to be full tower, or is a mid tower sufficient for your needs?

Just one last thing... Early on in this thread, before the case ventilation became an issue, we were struggling to find coolers suitable for the 9900K at 162 mm and below (that being the TJ07's max). I was under the impression that the NH-D15 was the preferred (air) cooler for the 9900K, but being 165 mm was not an option for the '07, thus it was suggested that the U12A or D15S would also do the job, just not quite as well (with Darkbreeze not even 100% these two would be up to the task). Thermalright's LGM was another option under consideration. Now you both suggest the PC-011 (AIR and DYNAMIC versions) which has a max clearance of just 155 mm, with Bearmann suggesting the Dark Rock TF CPU cooler with a height of only 130.8 mm... Am I missing something here?

Right, back soon!

There are two issues here.

1. My understanding is that the i9-9900K has trouble moving heat from the CPU to the heat spreader. The heatsink can only remove the heat after it gets to the heat spreader, so no matter how good the heatsink is, it's cooling is limited by the slow passage of heat to the heat spreader. So unless you want to delid your CPU......

2. Cooler reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt. The results can be quite different depending on which review you are reading. In general, however, most 6 heatpipe tower coolers will beat out most 4 heatpipe tower coolers. Puget uses a U12s on their non-overclocked 9900k's. It must be working or they would have changed. The U12s is a 5 heatpipe cooler with a TDP rating of 95, I think (Noctua no longer rates their coolers by TDP.)

Scythe Fuma Rev. B. 6 heatpipe Cooler

Here, at stock (non-OC) and at load, you can see it equal to the Macho Direct and only 2 degrees warmer than the D15.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8409/scythe-fuma-rev-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

Here, at stock, running Prime you can see it only one degree warmer than the D15 and equal to the U12s and U14s..

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Scythe/Fuma/6.html

be quiet Dark Rock 6 heatpipe TF Downdraft 220W TDP Cooler

Here, you can see it beat the D14 and Macho at stock with load, crush the U12s by four degrees, and come within 2 degrees of the D15.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7444/quiet-dark-rock-tf-top-flow-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

Here, you can see it come within one degree of the D15 at stock running Prime:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/beQuiet/Dark_Rock_TF/6.html

Knowing your appreciation of high end parts, we naturally went to the D15 first, as it arguably the best air cooler available in function, construction, and warranty. However, there are a lot of good air coolers that will meet your needs.

I do find it strange, however, that the Lian Li PC-O11 AIR has such a low cooler clearance. It's the AIR after all! WTF!

Last edited:
I do find it strange, however, that the Lian Li PC-O11 AIR has such a low cooler clearance. It's the AIR after all! WTF!
Seriously. I don't get that either. Guess I'll have to start looking closer at some of these niche case models. I get into a lazy tendency to believe that the days of mid tower ATX cases that won't support big air are in the past, but obviously that's not the case.

That's lame, especially considering that at one point in the past Lian Li was one of the few case manufacturers actually SELLING cases that WOULD allow you to use big air.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ah, but DB, that's the missing element. Those 2x 92mm will supply plenty of air into the case to keep up with those 2x 120mm up top. They don't have to supply huge amounts to keep an aircooler supplied. Heat rises just fine all by itself and the gpu heat is the only major source. The 92's only need supply that. The cpu temp will be little affected by case temps, it's liquid cooling not air cooling. As long as the air moves, is all that matters, not whether it's high or low volume.

Conventional wisdom doesn't apply to non conventional situations. With what a 92mm put out in cfm, which is about 35-40cfm, doubled, because there's 2 fans, is about 70-80cfm total. Which is approximately what a decent 120mm will supply. So honestly, it's really no different than having 240mm up top, with a 120mm supply in front. Not so great for an aircooler, but just fine for a liquid cooler. The fans on the rad don't even need to be running at max, lower that rpm to 70%ish and you'll still be at @ 95% efficiency, further lowering the cfm gap.

Agreed its not a perfect solution, there isn't one in that case, it's awkward for higher TDP cooling, but as long as the cpu is cooled, and kept at 70ish or below, it's really a moot point as to what the exact temp is.

Heat does not rise "all by itself". Ever. At all. I think you know that too.

Heat does not in fact "rise", in any active manner. Heat, in an object, will move from warmest to coldest, that is known. In gas form, COLD air moves to the lowest spot because it is DENSER which CAUSES the warmer air to be displaced upwards. So heat "rising" is a misnomer. If the only place for heat to go is out, it will go out, rather than up. If cold air is coming in from the side and heat can escape out the other side, then that is what it will do. Of course, if it CAN go up via displacement, then it will.

And if there is not sufficient cool air not only getting in, but getting in through an area where it CAN move lower to displace the heat, which it sounds like it can't because it's coming in through those rear fans and then IMMEDIATELY being sucked out through the top, I see no way for stack effect to work effectively in this case. Cold air isn't going to come in through those fans and move to the bottom, because the negative pressure of those two larger exhaust fans isn't going to give it time to do that. It's going to come in and go right back out.

What you get in effect is an airpath in the upper corner, and a big fat nothingburger dead spot throughout the rest of the case, at least, mostly, when compared to an in through the front out through the back/top design. There will probably be SOME small amount of air movement through there as the upper fans negative pressure will suck a small amount and the positive air pressure of the fans in the lower chamber probably won't ALL go out through the opposite grill and will find it's way up through the gaps and cracks, but I do not believe there will be enough of either of those things to make a relevant difference. Most airflow will come in the top left corner and straight out the top.

I don't even see how ANY ambient air can make it's away around the front to the CPU cooler fans to even be useful, which, by the way, the airflow through the heatink is going to DIRECTLY be blowing in the fact of those 92mm intake fans, which is going to further reduce any usefulness those fans have with bringing air into the case. Facing two fans towards each other doesn't result in much of anything helpful no matter how you look at it. And even if you orient the heatsink horizontally (Which I NEVER like to see personally) and blowing directly towards those top exhaust fans, any air coming in through those 92mm fans is still going to bypass the heatsink and go directly out the exhaust fans in the top.

So yes, there MIGHT be SOME reduction in internal heat through stack effect, but it won't be active and it won't be significant.

I have to be honest, and I have absolutely no intention of offending anybody so please don't take it that way, but unless I'm missing some critical feature of this case, this has to be one of the most poorly designed cases that isn't a top mounted PSU design that I've ever seen when it comes to cooling. A few small changes and this could be a fantastic case. But those would require some redesign by the OEM or some halfway serious modding.

For a lower TDP platform and a top down stock style CPU cooler, it's probably not a big issue. For a server, same. For an enthusiast build, it's very problematic.

24oa8md.jpg

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, the 2x 120mm on the bottom shove air inside, the case floor above them is vented so goes straight up that right hand tower opposite the 92's from the bottom right corner of your pic, in opposition of the dead air spot.

In reality, those 92's would be better served as exhausts, not intakes.

In reality, those 92's would be better served as exhausts, not intakes.

Which falls in line with several observations I made earlier on this page. And I agree, they would. I'm not too sure though that much airflow at all comes up through that chamber floor opening considering that directly across from those lower fans is a wide open exit. That is why I said earlier that blocking off that exit and flipping those 92mm fans around would serve the cooling system much better.

Hell, I might even be tempted to say to put ANOTHER pair of 120mm fans across from the existing two lower ones, with all four lower fans oriented as intake, and move any drives down there up into the upper drive bays, cut away as much of the floor between the upper and lower compartment as possible and flip those 92's around and you'd actually have a VERY efficient cooling system then with plenty of both intake and exhaust and a good airflow path with a suitable pressure differential that take air across all the components in the build and straight to the CPU cooler, then out the four exhaust fans.

Very little modification needed that way other than opening up that divider between the two chambers.

R_G_S

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2012
Thanks for all the replies, guys - excellent stuff!

FEEDBACK
Bearmann - cooler info really interesting and useful.

Darkbreeze - I don't require any of the 5.25" drive bays in the front panel, though currently I have a couple of optical drives installed in the top two. I'll give your suggestions regarding using the bottom fans some thought (along with other ideas). Even with the case as is they do supply some air into the main chamber (you can feel the airflow with your hand), making the dead air zone in your image slightly smaller, but the graphics card area isn't great, admittedly. I would think the dead air zone would also be a little less at the top due to the CPU cooler pushing the air either left or right, as opposed to it being transferred directly from the 92 mm to the 120 mm fans or vice versa (as in your image), but again, obviously not ideal and if you feel it's insufficient, I'll take your word on it!

I don't require a full tower, but I don't like everything to be cramped in either and prefer a dedicated bay for HDDs/SSDs rather than lashed on to the back of the MB tray for example. Say what you like about the case BTW, or any of my other suggestions - don't worry, you won't offend me! ;)

CFP51 (FRONT FANS FOR TJ07)
It would appear that the 'mod' I require is SilverStone's own CFP51: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/silverstone-sst-cfp51s-hdd-expansion-kit-silver-ca-200-sv.html.

A couple would do the trick perfectly from a functional perspective, I think, and not bad aesthetically either, though not quite as sleek as the original flat front: https://photobucket.com/gallery/user/BiffaZ/media/cGF0aDpNYXJzIFJlYnVpbGQvUDExMDAxMTMuanBn/?ref=.

Unfortunately locating two of these is likely close to impossible...

So, will def give some thought to diverting the air from the lower fans and keep a look out for any CFP51 modules - if you could confirm that 2 of the latter would do the trick that'd be great. Just on the off chance I manage to find some.

OTHER CASES
I looked at some of the cases suggested, with more yet to go. There are definitely some well designed options as regards airflow and I do like the dust filters which are lacking on the '07, but I still can't work up much enthusiasm for them if I'm honest. I looked at the Corsair 750D a while back and whilst I can totally see how it should fit the bill for me it's also a good example of what I don't like. If you watch the video below from 50 seconds in, you can see the faux aluminium front plate and then shortly after, build quality issues with a broken plastic latch:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1X1ur2-LFg

As for the Lian Li PC-O11 AIR and it's CPU cooler restrictions, well - I think that's just poor design. Probably due to reusing the same chassis originally intended for the Dynamic, but I don't know the background here so just a guess. Reviews also picked up on this rather odd limitation for a so-called 'AIR' case. I'm not super keen on their Alpha 330/550 models, but checked them out too as both have good cooler clearance (170 mm), but the close proximity of the front panel to the fans seen to really reduce air flow. This seems to be a reoccurring theme with many modern designs.

Right now, I feel my main options are either one of the two cases listed below (the latter is almost certainly the more sensible choice, in terms of price, interior layout and overall dimensions, but would like to hear your thoughts on both if possible), or some adjustments to my TJ07 to overcome the airflow issues, as discussed above.

SilverStone TJ11
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=292

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16cqqM2qZ8E

Lain Li PC-V760
https://www.caseking.de/en/lian-li-pc-v760b-big-tower-schwarz-geli-799.html

I will check out the remaining cases suggested and then post back.

Thanks once more for all the help - really fantastic - sorry for this dragging on so long!

Last edited:
If you're looking for good Mid-Tower cases, or are willing to use one, I can absolutely recommend mine:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LEKBKyUX4BpCFJHzq6S7uoGhiQsAsyEK

I have pics there on how it looks assembled using the D15 pointing upwards. The case is a Thermaltake Urban S41 and it should do nicely for you, I think. And other than Lian Li, CoolerMaster and Corsair, I gotta say Thermaltake does make* great cases.

This is the page for the TT Urban S41 I have:

https://www.thermaltake.com/urban-s41.html

You can also check the TT X71:

https://www.thermaltake.com/core-x71-tempered-glass-edition.html

Cheers!