[SOLVED] I9 9900k on z170

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2020
Hi everyone
What’s the downsight of running coffee lake on z170 motherboard
My board is gigabyte z170 dh3
I got an i9 9900k from a friend so im wondering if i can run it on my motherboard

Solution
When the 8 series first released they did use modified z270s to test with(because the Z370s were behind schedule) but they were problematic due to power delivery issues. While the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th gen are all socket 1151 8th and 9th gen use a bit different pinout due to their higher power requirements.

Even if you could add bios support on your motherboard for 9 series it's VRM setup is to weak to properly power a cpu such as the 9900k(even at stock). The board used in that youtube video has a far superior VRM setup compared to your board.

bignastyid

Titan
When the 8 series first released they did use modified z270s to test with(because the Z370s were behind schedule) but they were problematic due to power delivery issues. While the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th gen are all socket 1151 8th and 9th gen use a bit different pinout due to their higher power requirements.

Even if you could add bios support on your motherboard for 9 series it's VRM setup is to weak to properly power a cpu such as the 9900k(even at stock). The board used in that youtube video has a far superior VRM setup compared to your board.

Solution
A few folks claimed some sort of BIOS hacks could be done to allow support of i3-8100 (itself sort of a a quasi rebadged/repackaged i5-7600), but, one would be best to simply accept them as mentioned above. (If you have the money to blow on a 9900K, getting a mainboard (which properly supports the extra active pins that supply power to the CPU, hardly optional for an 8 core CPU potentially drawing 230 watts in some scenarios) that works should be accepted as part of the process. There are numerous Z390 boards under $200.

May 10, 2020

I think im going to get new motherboard afterall

May 10, 2020
A few folks claimed some sort of BIOS hacks could be done to allow support of i3-8100 (itself sort of a a quasi rebadged/repackaged i5-7600), but, one would be best to simply accept them as mentioned above. (If you have the money to blow on a 9900K, getting a mainboard (which properly supports the extra active pins that supply power to the CPU, hardly optional for an 8 core CPU potentially drawing 230 watts in some scenarios) that works should be accepted as part of the process. There are numerous Z390 boards under $200.
I was not planning to do any upgrade
But i just got this i9 from my friend so im getting new motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS