[SOLVED] I9 9900k or 10700K

Selynelar

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Hi all,

I have a huge dilemma. I cannot decide between I9 9900k and 10700k. The price is not big between of them.
Is the 10700k also hot like the I9 9900k?

I am planning to move my new build into a Pure Base 500dx case with 2front intake and one top, one rear exhaust 14cm fans.
The Vga is an Rtx 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio.
Psu is a Seasonic Focus Plus 850w Platinum.

If I choose the 10700k the motherboard is pgoing to be the Msi Z490 Unify.
For the I9900k Aorus Master Z390.

And the ram... I am planning to put 3200mhz Hyperx Fury 32Gb.
I know I need to enable Xmp in bios to get the 3200mhz. My concern is that does it going to effect the cpu? Get hotter or something like this? Or do i need to overclock it as well?

The cpu cooler for both is most probably Noctua NH-D15. Is it going to be enough for the 10700k even if I overclock (which one I dont plan). I want to leave everything on default.

I see the 9900k is 95w the 10700k 125w. Will the 10700k going to drain more power?

Please help me guys in the decision.
Btw: the build main purpose is gaming

Thanks for your replies.

Solution
I have a 10700K on an ASUS ROG Z490 mobo with an NH-D15. Case has good cooling 2x140 front intake and 120 rear + 2x140 top exhaust. Aida64 stress testing runs 67-68C with RAM XMP at 3200 CL14.

Given Intel next gen is upcoming, that makes the 9900K even more dated....

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
I have a 10700K on an ASUS ROG Z490 mobo with an NH-D15. Case has good cooling 2x140 front intake and 120 rear + 2x140 top exhaust. Aida64 stress testing runs 67-68C with RAM XMP at 3200 CL14.

Given Intel next gen is upcoming, that makes the 9900K even more dated....

Solution

Selynelar

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Thank You very much guys. So as I understand I dont need to worry about the temperatures if Noctua NH-D15 handled the 9900k well(many of my friends has this combo without any issues), because basically the 10700k is cooler. And the power draw is going to be the same?

And my last question. If i will put my chosen cl16 32Gb 3200mhz Hyperx Fury I just need to enable Xmp? Does it effect (stress) the cpu(example: temperature,core,power consumption etc)? Do I need to Oc the Cpu as well? Because as I saw the 10700k official webpage shows only 2933mhz. Or above this the motherboard will handle?

Btw. Do I need to set anything in the bios for the cpu to run stable or I can leave everything on default(I don't really plan to Oc the Cpu as I mentined)? Somewhere I read about to disable MCE. On Aus motherboards this is disabled by default.

Thanks everyone. Btw my decision looks like the I7 10700K :)

Last edited:
Thank You very much guys. So as I understand I dont need to worry about the temperatures if Noctua NH-D15 handled the 9900k well(many of my friends has this combo without any issues), because basically the 10700k is cooler. And the power draw is going to be the same?

And my last question. If i will put my chosen cl16 32Gb 3200mhz Hyperx Fury I just need to enable Xmp? Does it effect (stress) the cpu(example: temperature,core,power consumption etc)? Do I need to Oc the Cou as well? Because as I saw the 10700k official webpage shows only 2933mhz. Or above this the motherboard will handle?

Btw. Do I need to set anything in the bios for the cpu to run stable or I can leave everything on default(I don't really plan to Oc the Cpu as I mentined)? Somewhere I read about to disable MCE. On Aus motherboards this is disabled by default.

Can I ask why aren't you swapping to AMD? Much better value and the 5000 series looks to stomp intel into a fine powder

Selynelar

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Can I ask why aren't you swapping to AMD? Much better value and the 5000 series looks to stomp intel into a fine powder
Lots of people telling to me the same. To be honest I have used always Intel Cpus. I am not an Intel fan boy but for me Intel cpus always brought good experience. So I dont really like to change from what never disappointed me.

Btw thanks the adwise. It is true the 5000 series looks great.

Reactions: Afro_ninja199
AMD loses the value argument where the 5000 series is concerned since the $50 MSRP bumps put them above Intel's nearest performance equivalent by a larger margin than Zen 3's performance advantage based on AMD's own numbers.
But based on current numbers (You should wait for reviews though) AMD is offering better performance than intel and once you factor in the motherboards AMD still works out cheaper. You can get a B550 board or even a B450 if PCIE 4.0 doesn't matter to you and the 5800x will be happy there. Whereas the 10700K you need to OC to get the best performance which means top end boards and a beefy cooler.

InvalidError

Titan
But based on current numbers AMD is offering better performance than intel and once you factor in the motherboards AMD still works out cheaper.
If we're going to start cutting corners, there are pretty cheap Intel boards too for people who just want something that works and cannot be bothered with overclocking.

Whereas the 10700K you need to OC to get the best performance which means top end boards and a beefy cooler.
Most people don't OC and Intel beats similarly priced Zen 2 stock vs stock in most cases. HSF price makes no difference since Zen 2 cannot sustain its boost clocks on the stock HSF so you'd need to upgrade to the same thing you'd likely put on a 10700k anyway.

Selynelar

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019

And my last question. If i will put my chosen cl16 32Gb 3200mhz Hyperx Fury I just need to enable Xmp? Does it effect (stress) the cpu(example: temperature,core,power consumption etc)? Do I need to Oc the Cpu as well? Because as I saw the 10700k official webpage shows only 2933mhz. Or above this the motherboard will handle?

Thanks guys.I just look forward if the 5800x is going to be available in my country in the following few days. And of course lets see the price. So if yes, I can still wait if not I will go for the planned I7 10700k.

Until then,anyone for the above concern?
Thanks.

Enable XMP and the ram should run at the speed and timings advertised, assuming you are using a Z490 motherboard.

Other than that, you shouldn't have to do anything in the bios to make it run stable. MCE is usually disabled by default, but it can increase performance if turned on. MCE basically runs the CPU beyond default operation for more performance. An auto OC of sorts.

Selynelar

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Enable XMP and the ram should run at the speed and timings advertised, assuming you are using a Z490 motherboard.

Other than that, you shouldn't have to do anything in the bios to make it run stable. MCE is usually disabled by default, but it can increase performance if turned on. MCE basically runs the CPU beyond default operation for more performance. An auto OC of sorts.
Thank You. And do you recommend the Mce turn on or leave it disabled?
As I understand it auto oc the cpu and put stress on it including raise the temps of the cores.

If we're going to start cutting corners, there are pretty cheap Intel boards too for people who just want something that works and cannot be bothered with overclocking.

Whats the point in getting a K SKU if you're not overclocking?

Most people don't OC and Intel beats similarly priced Zen 2 stock vs stock in most cases. HSF price makes no difference since Zen 2 cannot sustain its boost clocks on the stock HSF so you'd need to upgrade to the same thing you'd likely put on a 10700k anyway.
It beats Zen 2 not Zen 3, My argument is for the 5000 series not the 3000.

By AMD's own numbers, Zen 3 only "beats" Intel by ~6% best-case for gaming, which isn't going to matter much when Zen 3 is going to cost nearly $100 more at launch than equivalent Intel at current retail prices.
Maybe on the actual CPU cost but I think $75 isn’t close enough to 100 to say nearly. But again you have to buy a cooler which will run you 50 and then the more expensive motherboard to gain access to all the platform features for an extra what 100 so by the time you’ve bought the platform (the 10700K is a new socket so you can’t even just drop it into an existing system) you’re actually paying more for less performance.

Aug 22, 2020
I've recently had the same dilemma- on Newegg, 10700k/9900k can be bundled with the same motherboard(series) for the same price, with the 10700k on the slightly more expensive side.
It would probably be best to get whichever is cheaper at the time.
10700k is practically the exact same silicon, the lower temps are due to some changes in IHS/die size and distance. I'm pretty sure LTT did a video on dielapping the 10900k, and showed that Rocket Lake differences were mostly due to a thinner IHS.
You probably would see only a 1-2c degree difference in the chips, if both had the same quality silicon.
However, the 10700k does allow you to upgrade to 11th gen when and if you decide to, and technically is the superior product. I don't believe this would really matter, though, as by the time you really needed to upgrade, the 11900k would probably only slightly be better. Future-proofing is a lie.
In the end, I bought the 9900k because it saved me 10 bucks, and the 10700k hadn't gone on sale yet. On another note, I did see the 10700k go sub-$300 on Black Friday, and if Ryzen 50000 ever gets back in stock, the price might be driven down again.

InvalidError

Titan
Future-proofing is a lie.
It isn't a lie, but there are caveats, practical and sensible limits for sure.

Eight years ago, I would likely have been fine with a $120 i5-3120 but the i5-3470 cost only $170 and I strongly suspected I'd end up wanting to upgrade the i3 within two or three years if I got that, so I decided to get the i5 which I'm still using and ~85% happy with today. In my case, $50 invested in future-proofing at least doubled my ~$500 rebuild's useful life. ($180 of it is 32GB of DDR3-1600 which I'm glad I got before DDR3 prices nearly tripled in 2013.)

Aug 22, 2020
It isn't a lie, but there are caveats, practical and sensible limits for sure.

Eight years ago, I would likely have been fine with a $120 i5-3120 but the i5-3470 cost only $170 and I strongly suspected I'd end up wanting to upgrade the i3 within two or three years if I got that, so I decided to get the i5 which I'm still using and ~85% happy with today. In my case, $50 invested in future-proofing at least doubled my ~$500 rebuild's useful life. ($180 of it is 32GB of DDR3-1600 which I'm glad I got before DDR3 prices nearly tripled in 2013.)
Offtopic, but I was thinking that I'd last definitely 5 years or more with my processor before needing to upgrade, and might even last 8. For example, a friend has an i7-960(or something, it is lGA1366) and R9 290, and can still play recent titles on low.
As to why I think current CPUs (and other tech, in extension) will have longer lifespans, there are multiple changing technologies(Game streaming and big.LITTLE being some), and we are hitting the limits of practical silicon. I'd start a new thread on it, but I'm not exactly sure of what the topic would be.
As to the OP, pretty much either CPU is a good choice-you can't go wrong, unless they somehow went out of stock and are now being sold at 1k a pop.

Selynelar

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
At the end I have chosen the 10700k. And believe me it is worth for every penny. When I bought it was cheaper than 9900k. I just love it. Fast, Cooler than 9900k. In stress test it does not go above 85C degrees. So I can recommend it absolutely.

Anyway thanks everyone's opinion and suggestion.

Reactions: rickypicky5