[SOLVED] i9-9900k or 3900x?

Elementalfury

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
After looking for a long while, I am still having a few problems deciding which one to get. I have a mobo picked exclusively for both of them, but it comes down to the stomping grounds of both. The higher fps (though small) of the i9 looks great since I'm planning to use it for mostly playing games. The Ryzen is attractive for its better multi-tasking and productivity uses. Are the 12 or so fps at higher frames worth it? Any advice or opinions are welcomed, sorry if I respond late and thank you in advance if I personally forget to do so!

Solution
Do you use this system for professional work with high end productivity applications?

Because if you don't, that is a gigantic waste of money. Half that number of cores would be more than enough for any gaming system AND some multitasking as well.
Either of those CPUs will do what you need it to do. Both are easily capable of feeding 144fps to the graphics card if the graphics card is capable enough to deliver 144fps to the monitor at your chosen settings.

In fact, both are likely more than you need, but they could change in the future so either of them are not a bad idea especially if you do a lot of multitasking or any high end productivity work, but even if you only do high FPS gaming as well. Especially if you favor high FPS titles that are fairly CPU demanding.

Jun 15, 2019
Idk if your budget is expandable or not but amd is coming out with Ryzen 9 3950x in September and that has 16 cores and 32 threads and who knows, it might be better than both of them but it also might be a little more expensive than the 3900x. If you can wait, than I suggest waiting till the 3950x comes out, and if you can’t wait, you should get the 9900k since you’re only planing to game.

You sure as hell don't need a 16 core CPU for gaming. There are no games that well enough optimized to take full advantage of or benefit from a 12 core part, much less a 16/32 part, currently anyhow. At some point you have to realize that unless you are doing some SERIOUS multitasking while you game, the return for higher core count parts isn't going to worth what you'll be paying for them.

Elementalfury

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
Idk if your budget is expandable or not but amd is coming out with Ryzen 9 3950x in September and that has 16 cores and 32 threads and who knows, it might be better than both of them but it also might be a little more expensive than the 3900x. If you can wait, than I suggest waiting till the 3950x comes out, and if you can’t wait, you should get the 9900k since you’re only planing to game.
Yea I did think of the 3950x as an option. That thought is on the back-burner but it's slowly creeping up despite myself wanting an upgrade now. Suppose I could be patient if need be.

Do you use this system for professional work with high end productivity applications?

Because if you don't, that is a gigantic waste of money. Half that number of cores would be more than enough for any gaming system AND some multitasking as well.

Solution