[SOLVED] I9 9900k or non k version I9 900

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
Hi all,

My concern is that I am planning to buy I9 9900 processor. I am still really confused to get the non or the K version? The price difference is not much. The non k is like 80usd cheaper.
I am not really plan to overclocking the cpu. Just to run everything on the default bios settings. Mostly I use the pc for gaming.
Is the non k version hot also as the K version? I am planning to buy Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 air cooler or should I get the Noctua NH-D15. I would like to stick with aircooler anyhow.
Is the non k version is enough to run the 2080 Ti? What I mean is it not going to bottleneck the cpu?

Thanks for your replies.

Solution
It will work with the 2080 no problem.

If I was buying I'd get the K version. Better to have the overclocking capability than not have it when you need it. Plus it will help when it's time to sell it used to someone since it's more desirable than the non-k version.

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
It will work with the 2080 no problem.

If I was buying I'd get the K version. Better to have the overclocking capability than not have it when you need it. Plus it will help when it's time to sell it used to someone since it's more desirable than the non-k version.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi all,

My concern is that I am planning to buy I9 9900 processor. I am still really confused to get the non or the K version? The price difference is not much. The non k is like 80usd cheaper.
I am not really plan to overclocking the cpu. Just to run everything on the default bios settings. Mostly I use the pc for gaming.
Is the non k version hot also as the K version? I am planning to buy Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 air cooler or should I get the Noctua NH-D15. I would like to stick with aircooler anyhow.
Is the non k version is enough to run the 2080 Ti? What I mean is it not going to bottleneck the cpu?

Thanks for your replies.
I would check the price of the 10700 and 10700K also about the same performance.

The K suffix versions will have a higher base and turbo clock compared to the non K versions.
i9-9900 base is 3.1 turbo is 5.0
i9-9900K base is 3.6 5.1
If the price differential is not much, buy the K.

I might add that the i7-10700K is a better buy with a base of 3.8 and a turbo of 5.1.

For gaming, you will pleased even running at stock.
The turbo speeds apply to one core when the cpu cooling and other workload permits.
These are 16 thread processors. Games will normally not take advantage of more than 4-6 threads so you can expect turbo boost in games.
Single thread performance is very important to games.

For whatever reason, the 10th gen processors do not seem to generate the heat that the 9th gen processors do.

For most users, there is little value in overclocking.
Overclocking lets you increase the performance of all cores, but not the boost performance.
That is most useful when running multithreaded batch apps.
Still, do buy a overclockable Z490 based motherboard. You never know when your needs might change.

In a case with adequate front air intake,(at least two 120/140mm front intakes) a good twin tower air cooler like the DRP4 PRO or the noctua NH-D15 will be fine.
They have the cooling capability of a 240 liquid cooler.
If you use ram with tall heat spreaders, opt for the high compatibility NH-D15s.

There is always a limiting factor in games. Usually cpu or gpu.
Fast action games depend on a fast graphics card. More so at higher 1440P and 4k resolutions.
More cpu centric games like sims, mmo and strategy games will be more limited by the performance of the single master thread.
If you play multiplayer games with many participants, there is where many threads helps.

Oct 23, 2020
I would overpay a hundred bucks and get the 10th generation. However, if you are tight on a budget go with i7-10700K; it's even cheaper than i9-9900K and almost exactly the same.

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
Thank You very much for everyone's answer. I have decided already. The thing: I had already the mobo for 9th generation Intel (Gigabyte Z390 Aourus Master). At the end I bought the I9 9900k for good price. There was only around 70usd difference between the I9 9900 non K version.

Thanks again everyone.

Reactions: Solidjake

TRENDING THREADS