Question i9-9900K Overclock Temps & Cooling

Dec 26, 2019
So it's not much worth to change from a 9900K to a 9900KS so i have been tinkering with overclocking my 9900K and wanted to show my results so far to ask if this is good or if it would be worth it to beef up the AIO to a 360 (would i see any drastic changes in temps?)

Specs:
i9-9900K
MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Corsair h115i Platinum 280 AIO
TridentZ CL17 3600MHz 32G Memory (4X8)
Nvidia 2080 Ti FE 11G
Samsung NVMe M.2 512G & 1TB
EVGA Supernova 750W P2 Platinum

This first pic is running CPU-Z for 10 minutes stressing the CPU. Voltage was set on this test to 1.30V. I think its a little on the hot side. I do have a custom fan curve set on the cooler and have it maxed out.
https://ibb.co/CsZKzJ4
1-30-v.png

Next i dropped the voltage some more as it was just to hot for my liking. I wanted to see if i could get the voltage down without crashing and to also try to see if i just need to step up to a 360 AIO. Again this is with CPU-Z running for 10 mins with the voltage set at 1.27V and i also snapped this pic while the test was in progress to see my fan curve. ( i just couldn't get those fans to hit 2,000 RPM's - and they got loud lol). Got some cooler temps on this one a bit.
https://ibb.co/xmSd3Ym

1-27v.png

Then finally one more test at 1.25V and i stopped here to get some advice on if i should keep inching the voltage down or call it good or try something a little more aggressive to put the CPU through. Temps came down a little more too as expected.
https://ibb.co/TqZCNM7
1-25v.png

Thanks in advance for any tips or tweak idea's.

Last edited:
Prime95 with AVX puts an unbelievable stress on CPUs - more than they will ever see in 99.999% of real-world scenarios. RealBench is a more realistic 'high watermark' for the most stress your system will ever see. RealBench also stresses your GPU and power supply. Select half your RAM for the stress testing.

I've got the i9-9900k but I have to put more voltage than I'm comfortable with for 5Ghz. I've settled for a locked 4.8Ghz (4.6Ghz cache) at 1.21v (1.25v LLC - heavy load). My little H80i v2 is doing a great job keeping this beast cool but heavy stress testing sees my VRMs hit their thermal limit and the CPU throttle. Luckily it never happens during regular usage or gaming.

Reactions: -Crucial-
Dec 26, 2019
i think that was at 1.25v or 1.27v. I have it down now to 1.21v and ran it for just 15 mins @ 16g ram. temps got much cooler. Max got to 86c mostly stayed at 85c-86c.

Should i try to keep lowering it .2 at a time to see just how low i can go with voltage?

Dec 26, 2019
Passed with no BSOD at 1.21v for 15 minutes. Max temp was 87C, Average was about 83C. Think this is the best it will get with current AIO.

Only conclusion i can come to if i want to get the temps down more would be to delid the CPU and step to a 360 AIO.

My temps never get anywhere close to this hot while gaming or multitasking. i was just curious of what my temps would go to under a stress load. I think the 280 AIO i have is good for what i do but it's not getting the job done under massive loads.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Difference between a 280mm and a 360mm is capacity. A 280mm can handle @ 300w, a 360mm can handle @ 350w.

At 5.0GHz, that i9 9900k is dumping close to 250w.

Will a 360mm help? A little. And only under duress. But nothing drastic as the cpu can't output enough heat to broach limits. The biggest advantage to a 360mm is fans. There's 3 of them, so combined they'll run at lower rpm than 2x 140mm.

Capacity isn't ability. That's all on the fans. Different fans might be better (or worse) and be more effective overall.

It's an i9 9900k. At 5.0GHz locked core OC, Gaming loads under @ 85°C are decent. Full core burns like from stress tests at anything under throttle temps are acceptable. It takes a full custom loop to really tame that beast of a cpu.

Prime95 small fft with AVX technologies disabled is used as a temp test only. Takes about half an hour to climatize an aio for a reliable temp.

Real bench is a stability test, for when messing with OC/voltages.