Question i9 9900k PCIe lanes

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lordreyrey

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
I am an avid gamer, as well as a content creator, using Premiere Pro. I currently have a Windows 10 system with the following setup.

1. i7 6700k on a Maximus Hero VIII board.
  2. Geforce1080ti
  3. 48gb memory
  4. Onboard 970 PRO m.2 drive
  5. PCI expansion card with USB 3.0 slots for Oculus Rift.
  6. PCI expansion card with 960 EVO m.2
  7. PCI expansion card with another 970 PRO m.2
  8. SATA HDD and SSD.
Naturally, with this setup, my 1080ti is running at 8x, not 16x. Which I want that card running at 16x for my Oculus, anyone that knows VR can tell me if that will make a difference, I assume it will.

I want to UPGRADE to a i9 9900k processor on a Maximus Hero XI board. And move everything into the board...

My questions are:

1. What configuration can I use to make sure the 1080ti is 16x? Do I have to abandon all my PCI expansion cards?
  2. Assuming I have to get rid of the cards, can the onboard USB slots of the Hero XI adequately handle the Oculus Rift USB needs?
  3. Also assuming I have to get rid of the expansion cards, would I be able to use my expanded m.2 drives on the board and not take away the 16x from the 1080ti? The onboard m.2 drives would have to be sata and not PCIe correct, to not affect the 1080ti? Or can they run together?
Sorry if I am confusing.

Edit: Also if anyone that uses 9900k for workflow or gaming wants to chime in on if it is a worthwhile upgrade, let me know.

Last edited:

lordreyrey

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Thanks again Rogue Leader, you have been great and very helpful.. I think I am pretty much done.

I would upload a photo, but I don't seen an option unless, I upload it somewhere.. The new PSU is installed and working great!! Thanks for the suggestion.

I also spliced a cable so I could connect my HD fans to the Lighting Node Pro, as I only had the one cord for the LL120 fans, and I wanted them all controlled by Icue.

I still have the issue being in sleep mode, keyboard or mouse will wake the system up, lights and pc turn on, the monitor comes on and says Acer, then goes blank with no signal. I have to restart every time. I haven't had much luck finding the issue there.

Im going to work on overclocking during the week, its back to work tomorrow. And Endgame this week yay...

On overclocking, do you have a suggested guide for 9900k on Asus board? I found this video guide on Youtube by someone from Asus...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOXH2YIMi2Y

But his video guide is based on XMP II profile, and i cant use that lol.

lordreyrey

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Hey guys. I posted this monitor sleep problem in the power supply forum too...

Interesting. My issue seems to be solved...

An expert can probably explain now...

Side note. Hopefully this helps someone, as I see a ton of posts about this issue, and no real fixes...

Anyhow, totally unrelated, I upgraded my memory, that I have mentioned (the two speeds) , to Corsair RGB Pro 3200... just because I wanted faster memory...and for no reason RGB.

Anyway....it fixed the issue. Im not having it anymore, and I have dealt with it for years.... but for now upgrading the memory seems to have helped.