Question i9-9900K problems overheating

Jul 7, 2019
Does anyone know if the i9-9900K
is a stable proccesor to do 3d rendering?
my system crashed and restarted after rendering 10-15 frames. like 20 times.
older proccesors i could leave on all night or days. this one stays on a couple of minutes
when 3d rendering.

i made a topic here, at first i thought it was the front cooling cause it didnt work at all, yet it could be that the i 9900k
is a unstable proccesor, it reached a core temperature when rendering of 85 deg. celcius
for more info on my config and question and pictures of my configuration
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...talled-cooling-maybe-cooling-problem.3497423/

I think 85C is too hot.
I'd be looking to get that down.
I'd be checking to make sure the cooler was mounted properly and that the fan curve was setup up properly.
I'd also run with the case open and see if that got me anything and if it did I would increase the case cooling.

Jul 7, 2019
thank your replies
yes i have rendered with the case open on a normal day 20 deg celsius back fan near a open window.
because i had trouble with an old sata cable, so i left the case open, since i was planning on buying a new cable for a dvd recorder
during the open case rendering and crashes. it was also 85 deg celcius. after the install of the new sata cable.
it was also crashing.

i think the proccesor is either faulty, or indeed like you said the installed fan mount.
and indeed the proccesor fan looks a default one, i will have that checked as well.

and does this mean anything from the utility software by fan and processor that the bottom left displays an red/white dot.
is that software so precise that it could indicate the problem error in a lower quadrant, or is it just an indication symbol?
otherwise it could be the thermal cooling paste, could be a wrong install of the proccesor ?

Last edited:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
aliasz,

I agree with SgtScream, however, I see an additional problem beyond the woefully inadequate cooler ...

You're attempting to run a power-hungry 9900K on a B360 Micro ATX motherboard, which does not support 9th generation CPUs. Look up the specs and see for yourself. Your motherboard doesn't have adequate VRMs for proper power delivery.

The "Z390" series motherboards are instead required for a 9900K to function with stability.

Sorry to pop your bubble, but you need to either upgrade your motherboard to a Z390, or downgrade your CPU to no more than an i7-8700.

CT 😎

Jul 7, 2019
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B360M-H-rev-10#kf

• Supports 9th and 8th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors
the link says the motherboard supports 9th gen intel proccesors.

called the reseller
allthough the casing cooler master came equipped with a front fan, there was no connection for it on the motherboard
so thats why that power cable was hanging loose in the case, they couldnt plug it in the motherboard, since it didnt have more connections
for fans.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I stand corrected. I didn't check the spec's on Gigabyte's website. I instead checked the B350M D3H on Newegg which clearly doesn't include 9th gen in the spec's - https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145065 - Shame on me; I should know better than to use anything other than the manufacturer's website.

Nevertheless, a 9900K on a B360 Micro ATX motherboard is really stretching the envelope. Even at stock settings, it's highly recommended that the 9900K should have very good power delivery for stability. The Gigabyte B360M H has only 6 phase VRMs without heat sinks ... certainly less than desirable for a power-hungry $500 processor.

Jul 7, 2019
it had a cooler master 600 watts 230 v, even when i disabled the nidea video card. so you would say more power for the system.
it crashed after rendering a few frames 10-15. its probarly either the cooling like you said a stock fan on the processor or a defect proccesor i9
the reseller didnt exclude a faulty proccesor, he said he had more problems with that proccesor and stability

But does this mean anything from the utility software.?
that the bottom left displays an red/white dot.
is that software so precise that it could indicate the problem error in a lower quadrant of the proccesor unit,
or is it just an randomly placed indication symbol?

Last edited:
I stand corrected. I didn't check the spec's on Gigabyte's website. I instead checked the B350M D3H on Newegg which clearly doesn't include 9th gen in the spec's - https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145065 - Shame on me; I should know better than to use anything other than the manufacturer's website.

Nevertheless, a 9900K on a B360 Micro ATX motherboard is really stretching the envelope. Even at stock settings, it's highly recommended that the 9900K should have very good power delivery for stability. The Gigabyte B360M H has only 6 phase VRMs without heat sinks ... certainly less than desirable for a power-hungry $500 processor.
Did you see his picture and how he's using a stock intel cooler from another processor? On a 9900k? Am I missing something?

TRENDING THREADS