[SOLVED] i9 9900k RTX 2060 vs i7 8700k/Ryzen 7 2700x RTX 2070

Apr 27, 2019
Ok so I will build my first PC and I have a question about what should I choose between this:

i9 9900k RTX 2060 vs i7 8700k/Ryzen 7 2700x RTX 2070

I can't go for the i9 9900k and RTX 2070 because it is out of my budget. What do you think I should choose? I will be gaming, programming, editing, browsing the web etc on the PC. Help me choose. Also, is the RTX 2070 actually worth the money vs RTX 2060? I want the PC to last long.

Solution
The answer to your original question depends on what resolution and refresh rate you like to game at.
For example:
If you have absolutely no plans to upgrade a 1080p 144hz monitor, I definately would recommend the 9900k RTX 2060 combo for two reasons:
  1. Intel's High IPC, Ring Bus Architecture and 1ghz+ boots clocks, as well as overclocking potential will ensure your FPS does not dip lower than your panel's refresh rate because at low resolutions the processor is the limiting factor.
  2. The RTX 2060 will be more than adequate for very high/ultra detail at 1080p resolution.
If you game at 1440p or higher resolution, investing most of your budget in RTX 2080 or higher would make the most sense:
  1. At 1440p or higher...

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
If you have the money for a 9900k then you might as well go with rtx 2070/2080 but personally i feel the 9900k are the worst price to performance cpu as it's almost double the price of a 2700x.Higher price for mobo and need a good cooler to keep her cool.All 3 those cpu's can stream hell even my ryzen 5 2600 can stream just fine.If i had to choose any intel i would get the 8700k and spend a little more on a gpu its good enough for streaming

Apr 27, 2019
Well I don't really have the money for the RTX 2080. I will get the processor and the card from a trusted seller from my country. It is not really a shop but it has things cheap and they have warranty and they are still sealed. The difference between a new 2700x and the i9 9900k from that guy is like 100$. But if I want to go for the 2070 I need to spend like around 100eur more and I am not really sure about this. I might try and save some more for the i9 9900k and RTX 2070. These 2 should last around 5 years right?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
780/Ti are still decent cards and they came out around 5 years a go. My 2600k about the same time and it's still serving me well overclocked. I'll be looking to upgrade soonish though.

But advances in technology is increasing at a faster rate and games too. Id say if you went a top end cpu now would probably see a graphics card change at some point toward the 5th year before the cpu.

It's all speculation of course.

AMD no choice - you want it all, AMD delivers it all and more
Why lose 8 threads, because of intel, which costs more with slightly increased FPS (2-5% @1080p and no increase @1440p)

I am currently using an Asus Strix 2060 - runs great and maxes out my 1080p on everything
2070 maybe worth it if you have 1440p resolution

Apr 27, 2019
So I should get the 9900k with the RTX 2060 thinking that I will upgrade some time because of the newer graphics cards that will come? @boju

@ElectrO_90 I was thinking about this and the possibility of upgrading to the Ryzen 3000 series but I am not quite sure right now. Never had an AMD.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Intel 9900k is very strong but it also runs hot.

Zen 2 is very promising. Rumours reckon top end Zen 2s IPC will be just as good if not better than 9900k. It's almost here, id wait because if true and performs somewhat like a 9900k or better who knows where prices land. Amd could force Intel to cut prices who knows.

Reactions: Similarty
So I should get the 9900k with the RTX 2060 thinking that I will upgrade some time because of the newer graphics cards that will come? @boju

@ElectrO_90 I was thinking about this and the possibility of upgrading to the Ryzen 3000 series but I am not quite sure right now. Never had an AMD.
You wouldn't know it was AMD unless someone told you, they are exactly the same, apart from AMD performs better in a lot more things than Intel. But costs a lot less. No one knows anything about the new 3000, but the rumours are, it will be faster than anything Intel has out right now. But wait for the reviews in 4-6 weeks time.

Don't think Intel is better or AMD is better, it's about value for performance. Intel still win at games running at 1080p by 2-5% but once games go into 1440p or higher - no difference in performance.

Don't forget, ALL Intel CPU's are full of backdoors and holes in the security, which if you read about, can almost half the performance of the computer, if you security patch it. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/disable-hyper-threading-mac-apple-performance,39348.html

Apr 27, 2019
Will AMD new 3000 be out until July? What are your opinions? Trying to plan out my build I will be doing in June, but I could wait until July for the new ryzen proccesors if they will be very good.

The answer to your original question depends on what resolution and refresh rate you like to game at.
For example:
If you have absolutely no plans to upgrade a 1080p 144hz monitor, I definately would recommend the 9900k RTX 2060 combo for two reasons:
  1. Intel's High IPC, Ring Bus Architecture and 1ghz+ boots clocks, as well as overclocking potential will ensure your FPS does not dip lower than your panel's refresh rate because at low resolutions the processor is the limiting factor.
  2. The RTX 2060 will be more than adequate for very high/ultra detail at 1080p resolution.
If you game at 1440p or higher resolution, investing most of your budget in RTX 2080 or higher would make the most sense:
  1. At 1440p or higher resolutions, the difference between the 9900k and R7 2700x are negligible due to the graphics card being the limiting factor at high resolution.
  2. At higher resolutions the graphics card upgrade path with be expensive and frequent so investing as much as you can on the graphics card will buy you time before an upgrade is necessary.
Note: As of this time at these high resolutions the difference in performance between the 9900k and 2700x does not justify the cost beause the only thing that is going to matter is "graphical horsepower".

What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor and what are your plans?

Solution
Will AMD new 3000 be out until July? What are your opinions? Trying to plan out my build I will be doing in June, but I could wait until July for the new ryzen proccesors if they will be very good.
You don't need to plan, all you need to plan is how much money you can save and how much you want to spend on a system
In 2 months, all prices will be differenct, new things will be coming out, so all the information today is relevant for today only.
Tomorrow samsung may release a new SSD or something, who knows. The only thing we can guarantee, is that in July everything will be cheaper than it is today, unless their is a world disaster, which has happened several times over the last 20+ years affecting memory prices and hard drive prices.

Apr 27, 2019
You don't need to plan, all you need to plan is how much money you can save and how much you want to spend on a system
In 2 months, all prices will be differenct, new things will be coming out, so all the information today is relevant for today only.
Tomorrow samsung may release a new SSD or something, who knows. The only thing we can guarantee, is that in July everything will be cheaper than it is today, unless their is a world disaster, which has happened several times over the last 20+ years affecting memory prices and hard drive prices.
So for getting cheaper parts I will just do it in the summer? Thanks.
Also I will play at 1080p and 144hz. Maybe, NOT SURE, I will upgrade to 1080p 240hz.

If you're going with a i9 9900k and staying 1080p and you are going to make a jump in refresh rate, my suggestion is to absolutely go 240hz. That is going to be an amazingly powerful gaming system that will push FPS way higher than a 144hz refresh rate panel at 1080p. So if you're going to make the jump from 60hz and you're going with the 9900k then definitely go 240hz if you plan to stay 1080p. However, If you already have a 144hz monitor then (@ElectrO_90 is correct) the cost of a new monitor does not justify the increase in refresh rate.

Kamal007v

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014
I decided to wait for the Zen 2 as i'm about to build my first ever gaming pc. Just casually wandering tech sites looking for things now i'm gonna dig the 9900k lmao. Zen 2 come on out already i'm tripping!!