[SOLVED] i9 9900k rtx 2080ti 1080p bottleneck performance impact?

Vex(TheKing)

Prominent
May 6, 2019
I have a build I am planning to get created, have been doing a lot of research but no clear answer at least in my eyes. I will post the build here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zqH8D2

My question is: I know there will be bottle-necking at 1080p, so what will the performance impact be? Any sort of stuttering or anything along those lines? I aim for a 240hz 1080p monitor to use with this and bumping up to 1440p and above is out of the question, not interested. I want a smooth experience at 1080p so that is the reason i am asking this question, I have an alternative build with completely different parts if this doesn't work out, but I figured id ask here before jumping to that because if I am gonna spend all this money I would rather just spend on high end parts altogether then compromise. Short version: will this setup run smooth as day or will i get stuttering or any performance issues?

Note: Here is the alternate build I was talking about: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PmLwdX

Last edited:
Solution
There is always a limiting factor(AKA bottleneck)
With your list of parts, you are doing absolutely as good as you can possibly do.
If your 9900K build does not give you smooth gameplay, nothing will.

One possible glitch is using two kits of ram.
Ram must be in a single matched kit so your build may suffer ram issues.
If you want 32gb, buy a 2 x 16gb ram kit.
9900k runs only dual channel anyway so performance is not impacted.

If you are concerned about paying 4 grand, I have some suggestions.

1. I think a i7-9700K will do the job for gaming equally well. The extra threads of a 9900K are most useful for multitasking and batch apps.
It is a stronger processor than the 8700K in your alternate build.

2. for a top end build, I...

Vex(TheKing)

Prominent
May 6, 2019
For 1080p those builds are absolutely overkill! Money not well spent.
I have the money regardless and as I stated I am not interested in anything above 1080p, so I figured if I have it, might as well spend it on what I want. I just need the answer to my question from someone before I confirm my purchase because I am not about to spend 4 grand on something that wont give me the experience I want.

An i5-9600k(overclocked), 2x8gb 3400mhz RAM and 2070/2080 should get you there. I'd also loose a few SSDs and get an NVMe for OS and apps and a 1tb(or 2tb) SSD for games.

Not much more I can say. I'll let someone with more knowledge on high FPS 1080p gaming answer.

BTW, what games will you be playing?

Vex(TheKing)

Prominent
May 6, 2019
An i5-9600k(overclocked), 2x8gb 3400mhz RAM and 2070/2080 should get you there. I'd also loose a few SSDs and get an NVMe for OS and apps and a 1tb(or 2tb) SSD for games.

Not much more I can say. I'll let someone with more knowledge on high FPS 1080p gaming answer.

BTW, what games will you be playing?
I appreciate your tips regardless, just not interested in changing my setup. I have it the way it is for a reason. Basically want someone to confirm whether or not that setup will run like charm without any hitches or stuttering at 1080p or not. I want a SMOOTH experience from beginning to end. As for games I play a variety of everything, all the way from rpgs to shooters, the only genres I don't play are racing and fighting with the exception of mortal kombat and the mx vs atv games. I am an all around kind of guy, oh yeah and I dont play sports games either lol I find it more fun to blow shit up then punt a football. What is it you play?

With your list of parts, you are doing absolutely as good as you can possibly do.

1. I think a i7-9700K will do the job for gaming equally well. The extra threads of a 9900K are most useful for multitasking and batch apps.

2. for a top end build, I would be using a 970 evo pcie drive somewhere.

3. I do not know where you are going to install 6 140mm fans in that case.
The front can support two and the top two.
The liquid cooler will have it's own.

Reactions: Vex(TheKing)
Solution

Vex(TheKing)

Prominent
May 6, 2019

2. for a top end build, I would be using a 970 evo pcie drive somewhere.

3. I do not know where you are going to install 6 140mm fans in that case.
The front can support two and the top two.
The liquid cooler will have it's own.
This pc is going to be used for some recording and editing as well, I can change out the ram for one 2x16 gig kit as you recommended. I am not sparse on money, that is no issue for me. I put 6 fans because I intend to replace the 2 that come with the liquid cooler, I read on the case it supports 6 fans, possibly am mistaken.

This pc is going to be used for some recording and editing as well, I can change out the ram for one 2x16 gig kit as you recommended. I am not sparse on money, that is no issue for me. I put 6 fans because I intend to replace the 2 that come with the liquid cooler, I read on the case it supports 6 fans, possibly am mistaken.
In that case, for editing also, I concur with the 9900K.
I got the specs for the case here:

I like 140mm fans, they move more air per rpm than 120mm.
The case comes with three front 120mm rgb fans.
Their intake capability will be about the same as 2 140mm units.
I think I would try them first.

The top is where you will install the cooling radiator which uses two 140mm fans.
Me, I would use the supplied fans, but if you want RGB then change them out.

This is somewhat of a catch 22 issue.
If you orient to draw in air from the outside, the cpu will be cooled better.
But, the hot air will be used for motherboard and graphics card cooling.
OTOH, if you orient to exhaust hot air, the cooler will not get fresh air and the cpu cooling will be less effective.
On balance I would orient the fans to exhaust air out of the case.

Me, I would solve both problems with a top twin tower air cooler like a noctua NH-D15 or NH-D15s.
The two towers have the equivalent radiator area of the kraken and you can replace the noctua beige fans(which are excellent) with 140mm rgb fans if you want.

I see no inclusion of a 120mm rear fan, you probably want one of those.

Vex(TheKing)

Prominent
May 6, 2019
In that case, for editing also, I concur with the 9900K.
I got the specs for the case here:

I like 140mm fans, they move more air per rpm than 120mm.
The case comes with three front 120mm rgb fans.
Their intake capability will be about the same as 2 140mm units.
I think I would try them first.

The top is where you will install the cooling radiator which uses two 140mm fans.
Me, I would use the supplied fans, but if you want RGB then change them out.

This is somewhat of a catch 22 issue.
If you orient to draw in air from the outside, the cpu will be cooled better.
But, the hot air will be used for motherboard and graphics card cooling.
OTOH, if you orient to exhaust hot air, the cooler will not get fresh air and the cpu cooling will be less effective.
On balance I would orient the fans to exhaust air out of the case.

Me, I would solve both problems with a top twin tower air cooler like a noctua NH-D15 or NH-D15s.
The two towers have the equivalent radiator area of the kraken and you can replace the noctua beige fans(which are excellent) with 140mm rgb fans if you want.

I see no inclusion of a 120mm rear fan, you probably want one of those.
So if I understand this right, according to the statistics of the pc specs you gave me and according to you, the radiator will go on top with 2 140mm rgb fans, then it can either take 3 120mm fans for the front or 2 140mm fans for the front so thats a total of 4 fans if i choose the 140 over 120x3 plus the 120 for the rear so the case will have approximately five fans?

So if I understand this right, according to the statistics of the pc specs you gave me and according to you, the radiator will go on top with 2 140mm rgb fans, then it can either take 3 120mm fans for the front or 2 140mm fans for the front so thats a total of 4 fans if i choose the 140 over 120x3 plus the 120 for the rear so the case will have approximately five fans?
I believe that to be correct.

TRENDING THREADS