Question i9 9900k running very hot in some games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2019
Hi guys, I have recently upgraded from a Maximus X Hero and 8700k to a Maximus XI Formula and 9900k and am starting to regret the decision temps wise. I'm running stock settings, except for manually lowering my voltage to 1.195v. The majority of games I've tested run in the 60 degrees Celsius range, but games like BF5 and R6S are running into the mid to high 80's.

Before lowering my voltage BF5 was spiking to nearly 100 degrees. This just doesn't seem right, especially rocking a Kraken X72 and 7 case fans. In CAM all fans are set to performance mode, have also tried turning off hyper threading to no avail. My Computer case is the NZXT H700i and it gets regularly cleaned with a proper air duster. My GPU is the 2080ti Gaming X Trio. BIOS version is also up to date. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019
To be honest it only came back from the shop a few days ago for the upgrades, so guessing the engineers would have done that there and how would i check the pump is working?

The overall temperatures at idle look ok. The 30C range isn't that bad, it's far from running hot. Usually if the pump wasn't working or they forgot to put thermal paste on the IHS the temps would constantly be in the 50-60C range and would jump excessively high when playing games. When you get a chance can you play some games and record your temps. Try two or three games and see what the temps look like.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019
Oh right ok, thank you again for your reply by the way.
Well BF5 was just fluctuating in and around the 80's, with an average of I would say 83/84 degrees, strangely R6S has just been fluctuating in the high 60's, low 70's, but last night it was in the high 70's/Low 80's. Most other games I've tried, e.g Destiny 2 have run in the 60's. Just seems like a huge fluctuation between games. What concerns me the most is it's winter with low ambients.

I really don't know what to say. The idle temps are ok, not great but ok. Under load though 70's is pretty hot and 80's is to hot. I'm not an expert on the I9 9900K but I really don't think it should be running in the high 70's into the 80's under load with an AIO water cooler. You said you didn't do any overclocking of the CPU right you just adjusted the voltages?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How to put this... part of your problem, or perhaps your primary issue, is the case itself.
A minimalist designed case like NZXT's H500 series - and it's identical siblings - is not ideal for running multiple high power PC components.
Airflow was not the focus of this case - not completely neglected, but it's passable. But when you've got a 9900K + 2080Ti in there... that's a lot of heat.

Cases like the Cooler Master H500P Mesh, Fractal Design Meshify C, and Phanteks Eclipse P400A, are more airflow friendly cases.

I was thinking that, I can't see anything else other then maybe the room where the computer sits is overly warm in combination with a case that isn't that great in terms of air flow. That is the only thing I can think of that would cause ok idle temps but really bad load temps.

How to put this... part of your problem, or perhaps your primary issue, is the case itself.
A minimalist designed case like NZXT's H500 series - and it's identical siblings - is not ideal for running multiple high power PC components.
Airflow was not the focus of this case - not completely neglected, but it's passable. But when you've got a 9900K + 2080Ti in there... that's a lot of heat.

Cases like the Cooler Master H500P Mesh, Fractal Design Meshify C, and Phanteks Eclipse P400A, are more airflow friendly cases.

This. The NZXT 700i doesn't have an open front panel. It's closed. So the air have to be taken from the bottom of that panel with probably small air intake holes. If you have hot ambient temps with that it won't help either. That CPU and GPU creates a lot of heat.

Nov 18, 2019
The thing is my 8700k (Overclocked to 5ghz) never ran higher than high 60's, low 70's in exactly the same case, room etc. I actually removed the front fan cover too.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The thing is my 8700k (Overclocked to 5ghz) never ran higher than high 60's, low 70's in exactly the same case, room etc. I actually removed the front fan cover too.
8700K still doesn't pull as much power as the 9900K is capable of...

60's and 70's still isn't great. Under an AIO with a case with good air flow you should be looking at low 30's at idle and in the 50 to low 60's max under load.
60-70C under load is fine.

That last part of your statement is entirely dependent on the OPs ambient temps, which are usually 10-15C lower than interior case temps.
It's 25C in my room right now, and my 7820X idles between 35-40C. The OP's idle temps aren't an issue... but if they were 45C or higher, then there would be a problem.

Does resolution play a part? I game at 1440p

The higher you go in resolution the more stress is put on the video card. The lower the resolution the more stress is put on the CPU. So if I paired say a Sandy Bridge I5 with a GTX 2080TI at 720P that would be pointless and performance will be hurt. Sure I have a great GPU but at 720p all the stress will be put on an old out dated CPU causing a bottle neck and performance will suffer.

To be honest it only came back from the shop a few days ago for the upgrades, so guessing the engineers would have done that there and how would i check the pump is working?

If hitting 95-100C in gaming loads, something with pump (mounting, fluid flow due to contaminants/algae, gunk/blockage, coolant levels due to microleaks), is not right.....PERIOD. If the AIO affair is more than 18-24 months old, many issues can arise at that point due to the above issues...not at all uncommon. Pumps and temps sucking after 2-3 years (if lucky) is an everyday occurrence here.

Nov 18, 2019
Just to add after testing dozens of games BF5 is the ONLY game that reaches the 80-90 degree mark, most other games are running between 50-60 degrees celcius. It leads me to believe it has to be an issue with BF5 and not my PC cooling, perhaps like others have suggested BF5 may be using the extra cores and threads unlike other games and heating up accordingly? Bear in mind my 9900k is at 5Ghz now too.

One thing I can think of which might cause BF V to run hot(ter), is that it actually uses AVX instructions unlike most other games.

But still - I set my i9 9900K @ all core 5 GHz for fun, using nothing but auto voltages, which are way to high, and I ran BF V, and it still only just reaches 70'c - 72'c. Something like that.
I set the stock 140mm fans on my Kraken x62 to run at 45% fixed speed - around 900 - 950 rpm (otherwise I find them too loud), which is way below the Performance setting in the Cam software, and the pump is set to the "Silent" profile - and I don't get even close to the temperatures you are reporting. Your cooler should be better than mine.

I suspect there could be a point regarding airflow as someone commented in this thread. My Kraken x62 is mounted in the front of a Corsair Obsidian 750D where it gets air from outside the case. That's the only intake fans though, I have 3 x 140mm exhaust fans.

For everyday use, I run a very modest overclok of 5 GHz on 3 cores, and the remaining 5 cores at 4.9GHz (AVX Offset = 0), which results in an all core clock of 4.9GHz when gaming, and after hours of BF V, I never see temps above 61'c. My voltage settings are also way too high, so I'm confident I could reduce those temps even further.
Something is definately wrong with your setup / settings, I think it's too hot like you are saying. But I agree that airflow as well as case temperature (considering the 2080)as mentioned earlier, should definately be something you consider when trouble shooting.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019
Hi, you'll never believe that I found out the shop didn't put so much as a speck of thermal paste on the CPU when it was in last time for upgrades. It has only been found out as it has had to go in for another repair (I'm guessing CPU related). They are now seemingly making out I have removed the thermal paste myself and knowingly killed my cpu...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS