Question i9 - 9900k temp

Feb 22, 2019
Hello people. I want ask you some noobish qeustions. So i buy prebuild pc like 2 days ago. So i check my cpu temp's today. :D 38-42c when i just get it on and at the game session 70-75c. I use i9 9900k and Cooler Master MAsterLiquid ML240L RGB. Non Overcloaked atm... Any tips? Whats wrong ? or its normal? Maybe change paste? or other tips?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
ML240L = low performance model. The ML240R is the high performance model and much better.

Understand, the i9-9900k can hit 250w with stock values, which is about the limits of that cooler. The ML240R is closer to 300w limits, and most 280mm are 300-350w.

As you approach the limits on any cooler, air or liquid, it becomes less efficient, and temps go up faster on the curve, until you reach the coolers limits and the curve goes almost straight up.

The 9900k staggers its thread usage and power consumption according to temp. As temps get higher, the cpu will not use a portion of its threads. Intel did this to protect the cpu, since it is such a monster. You won't be able to use the maximum amount of cores/threads unless you have the cooling ability to so so. You do, but barely, so you can expect higher than average temps. What you have is basically the equivalent of a cooler that's 1 step up from what would be considered a stock cooler.

Reactions: soroushd12
Feb 22, 2019
ML240L = low performance model. The ML240R is the high performance model and much better.

Understand, the i9-9900k can hit 250w with stock values, which is about the limits of that cooler. The ML240R is closer to 300w limits, and most 280mm are 300-350w.

As you approach the limits on any cooler, air or liquid, it becomes less efficient, and temps go up faster on the curve, until you reach the coolers limits and the curve goes almost straight up.

The 9900k staggers its thread usage and power consumption according to temp. As temps get higher, the cpu will not use a portion of its threads. Intel did this to protect the cpu, since it is such a monster. You won't be able to use the maximum amount of cores/threads unless you have the cooling ability to so so. You do, but barely, so you can expect higher than average temps. What you have is basically the equivalent of a cooler that's 1 step up from what would be considered a stock cooler.
so need get better cooler?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
To lower temps? Yes. But your temps are technically OK. So you do not need a better cooler, unless you simply cannot live with what you have. The cpu won't magically perform any better, anything under 75ish is totally within cpu/intel specs. It'll hit 90's before throttling back or possibly shutting down, over 100 before seeing immediate shutdowns.

Your temps are normal for that i9. If you want better, you'll need a better cooler, but the cpu doesn't care at all what the temps are.

Feb 22, 2019
To lower temps? Yes. But your temps are technically OK. So you do not need a better cooler, unless you simply cannot live with what you have. The cpu won't magically perform any better, anything under 75ish is totally within cpu/intel specs. It'll hit 90's before throttling back or possibly shutting down, over 100 before seeing immediate shutdowns.

Your temps are normal for that i9. If you want better, you'll need a better cooler, but the cpu doesn't care at all what the temps are.
Thank you sir and good luck!!! :)

looks about right.

In fact better than average (That CPU can hit 90C in some cases when closing programs due to Load Line calibration, even without overclocking, thou it is usually for a split second).
I do caution you to clean the cooler with compressed air once a year as a full of dust CPU cooler will perform worse.

I also would say, stay AWAY from overclocking. If you have to ask a question like "are my temperatures ok for overclocking?" means you have far too little information to understand the risks of overclocking and all the variables that you need to take in consideration.

I know from experience, I fried the first Computer I overclocked (2 GPUs in fact).
Today It seems like childs play, but that is once you know everything, so dont let people fool you into thinking there is no risk, especially when you dont know what you are doing.

Reactions: soroushd12

TRENDING THREADS