Question i9 9900k Temperature Issues

zol0s

Reputable
Nov 9, 2018
Hi there,

Hoping someone could help me out here. Last year I posted a thread regarding some issues I was having with my i9 9900k temperatures and had some very helpful responses. I tried out a few suggestions there and had marginal improvements, but have since changed around hardware and was hoping I could get some advice on this.

Machine spec:

i9 9900K 8 core 3.6GHz
RTX 2080 TI
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI
Corsair H100i Hydro PRO 240MM
32GB (4 x 8GB @ 3200mhz) Vengeance Pro RAM
NZXT H500 Midi-Tower Case

I've since purchased a new chassis, added more fans and changed the AIO:

Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
NZXT Kraken X72 360MM
6 Corsair LL120 fans.

This is the i9 9900k at stock speeds, no overclocking.

Idle temperatures improved a little, dropping to 33/36c on average.

Running Prime95 26.6 - Small FTTs - 16 torture test threads the temperature no longer hits 100 immediately, after 15 minutes it reaches 90/91 and stays there.

Cinebench R15 - Score of 1935 - Temperature reaches about 77c

CPU-Z reads voltage at between 1.296v and 1.308v / 1.320v when running these benchmarks.

Still, from what I can see from other people posting their temperatures and from a plethora of Youtube benchmark reviews, I am running pretty hot in comparison.

I'd have thought, perhaps mistakenly that by going from a 240mm AIO to a 360mm that I would have seen a pretty significant improvement in temps but this hasn't been the case yet. Likewise with the addition of the new fans increasing air flow significantly.

I have the radiator mounted at the top of the case, exhausting. The 6 LL120 fans are set to intake.

I play quite a bit of Assassins Creed Odyssey - With everything Ultra and running at 2560x1440 - Temperatures basically average between 67 and 78, sometimes, jumping up to the mid/late 80's briefly and dropping back down. I am unsure if this is "good" or "bad" but seeing it hit 90 every now and then (and dropping down) caused me some concern.

I've attached some screenshots of CPU-Z and CAM showing the results during stress tests.

View: https://imgur.com/yTQaMVE

View: https://imgur.com/pqJYgiH

I'm trying to see if there is anything I'm missing here - One of the suggestions before was looking at under volting the CPU which I haven't yet tried. Another was that perhaps there is a problem with the chip itself...

Lutfij

Titan
With all things said and done, what are your ambient air temps? Most people, if you're referring to YouTube as your benchmark, are delidding the CPU and using liquid metal by ThermalGrizzly to improve their temps. This will need special tool to delid the CPU and you will also need to be careful on how you apply the liquid metal thermal paste.

zol0s

Reputable
Nov 9, 2018
Thanks for the response Lutfij - Indeed, I looked at delidding and actually have someone fairly local who does it (I wouldn't be doing it) but that seemed a bit excessive for just trying to get stock temp under control - I am not against getting it done either way.

Ambient temp is +/- 18c / 64f - It's a warmer day that usual for my location, and my place is generally on the cool side.

100% CPU usage at 4.7Ghz would need a really good cooler on top of it and proper dissipation... Maybe the radiator is having issues moving the heat for extended periods of time? Water cooling works wonders until the water gets hot and you're no longer cooling :p

So, I'd strongly suggest you take a look at the AIO radiator and check if it's even hot. That CPU moves a lot of heat, so I'd put the blame (initially at least) on the AIO.

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS