[SOLVED] i9-9900k Temperature with Z370 Taichi Bios v3.40

Jan 23, 2019
Getting these temps on all stock settings (not even with XMP enabled) on a Z370 Taichi and Core i9-9900k while running P95 small FFT test. Running in a New Ark 90 case with a built in 280mm liquid cooler. I tried reversing the fans and it doesn't help. I installed three additional fans for intake as well. Not sure if this is even safe to run long term on stock settings... thoughts?

Also, I noticed that occasionally one or two of the processor loads will dip to under 100% for some reason while p95 is running- not sure if this is normal or a throttling response or just plain old not working correctly.

Is there anything I could/should do to try and get these temps down? Any ideas on why the core loads shift to under 100%?

fehzlc.jpg

load dip while still running prime95 small FFTs (16 threads)
fz3k8y.png

BIOS Screenshots:

173RDCD.jpg

AlSdvhG.jpg

nfRojF2.jpg

e0HU8gN.jpg

m1Sokum.jpg

Ib3tr7g.jpg

dS4dUsI.jpg

DUm2O10.jpg

Update: The load dropping is due to a fatal error on some of the worker threads in P95. See below:

GutH1sR.jpg

Did I just get a dud processor? Perhaps a Mobo issue?

Solution
Prime 95 Small FFTs are a true torture test for any cooling setup, and, 9900K CPUs are known to require pretty good cooling, so, it's possible several factors are converging to give these high temps....; perhaps the bundled waterblock and/or radiator is not quite up to the task...

A more realistic gaming-like load would be to use P95's default 'blended' load....; even then, you might have to live with 82C temps, but, that's better than 95C....; you can then investigate a better cooling solution, and/or if others are suffering high temps with that motherboard and core voltage, etc...) (I don't want to second guess Asrock's chosen core volts, but,...1.5xx volts sure seems high to me, but, it might be less at the critical points when...
1.5xx volts? Good Lord....! Is that in auto, or some sort of manual setting?

Is there some sort of auto-overclocking preset engaged? (Turn off MCE if it is enabled by default, as your cooling is clearly not adequate at the moment, certainly not with that core voltage...)

Reset BIOS to defaults, and start over....

Jan 23, 2019

To be honest that seemed quite high to me too, but everything is already on "Auto" by default. MCE is disabled by default. There is nothing overclocked. This is me dropping the processor in and letting it do its thing without changes. Perhaps I should make some changes?

Prime 95 Small FFTs are a true torture test for any cooling setup, and, 9900K CPUs are known to require pretty good cooling, so, it's possible several factors are converging to give these high temps....; perhaps the bundled waterblock and/or radiator is not quite up to the task...

A more realistic gaming-like load would be to use P95's default 'blended' load....; even then, you might have to live with 82C temps, but, that's better than 95C....; you can then investigate a better cooling solution, and/or if others are suffering high temps with that motherboard and core voltage, etc...) (I don't want to second guess Asrock's chosen core volts, but,...1.5xx volts sure seems high to me, but, it might be less at the critical points when reaching the CPU's internals...)

(Does your core voltage drop when truly idle, sitting at desktop at 800-1000 MHz?)

Solution
Jan 23, 2019

Thank you for the response. Yes, it appears that the core voltage drops when idle, see below: (about 3 seconds after P95 closeout)
R0OX2yY.jpg

I suppose I should try blended mode for now and follow up with results. Update:
After about 45minutes of P95 blended mode, oddly enough, the voltage still seems to be high even though the total W and temp is somewhat lower. No fatal errors (yet).
2TwmztT.jpg

Jan 23, 2019

Should I try to tweak down the voltage and see if it helps, or would that make the fatal errors come even quicker? Are there any other settings that might help? Everything is currently on "Auto".

Yes, you need to get it down a lot.