Question I9 9900k temps a bit high? With aida64 test.

imicek

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hey there, I bought new pc few days ago, I managed to build everything together, but I'm missing one PWM cable to get my case fans to the motherboard (they are connected only to the power supply), that could be one issue. Second issue could be, that I somehow couldn't fit the processor cooler screws to the base, so I lifted that up few times after thermal pasting the processor, so that might be another issue. Everything else should be fine and I'm happy that I didn't messed up everyhing as It was the first time I was building pc and almost without help or just with the manuals.
And yesterday I overclocked that CPU to 1.3V and 5 GHz (running at 1.28 and 4,97 GHz actually), but somehow when I tried aida64 stability test, the temperatures were going nuts, as you can see: View: https://imgur.com/a/SYgcGqz

What could I do to somehow get better temps? Or is there anything I should do?

Specs:
I9 9900k
Asus strix 2080 Ti
Corsair 850W Gold
32 GB ram Kingston 3200 MHz 16CL (I think)
Fractal design define R6 (with only pre-instaled fans)
Noctua nh-d15
500 GB M.2 SSD Samsung Evo 970 Plus

Thanks everyone for helping in advance.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You simply ran too many stress tests at once. Don't do that, it's too much.
If you want to stress cpu, do cpu(only), cpu + fpu, or cpu + cache, not all 3.

Prime95 can also be used: https://www.mersenne.org/download/
Make sure to disable AVX, or you can skip that by downloading v26.6.
Run P95, hit cancel, and go to the Advanced tab. Check on SUM(INPUTS) error checking, then go to Options > Torture Test. Select Small Fft and hit OK.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions
[Simple version of that Wiki: the AVX instructions are faster than the standard x86, but it's at the cost of power consumption.]

It can't be turned off(could be wrong here) in the bios of more recent motherboards - there's only the AVX and AVX 512 Offset settings.
Older motherboards... around 6th and 7th gen Intel launch, I think..? You could disable them in bios.

The universal offsets are 3 for AVX, and 5 for AVX 512. In manual overclocking, where you're pushing for higher frequencies while using as little voltage as possible - and the AVX Offsets are NOT used, in applications when those instructions will be used, you're guaranteed a crash or other error.
AVX of 4.0ghz is faster than x86 @ 4.0ghz, but more vcore is needed to run it. AVX 512 is faster than both, and the power demand greater - but mainstream users aren't going to encounter a situation where these are even used.

What did you disable? MCE? Intel Turbo Boost? Intel Speed Step? Speed Shift?
Need to be a little more specific...

You don't want to disable Speed Step...which enables the turbo feature to as high as 5 GHz on one or two cores...(and, if on an Asus motherboard with MCE enabled, all cores will go that high with a corresponding 8c jump upward in temps...)

Incidentally, I saw no temps above what appeared to be about 80-85C in your test.....; what temps were you expecting in an all core stress/test?

You paid for a 9900k...

Run CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU and HWMonitor for 15 minutes...if temps not above 80-85C, you are ok..

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
theres a proper video der8auer made for 9900k overclocking.
also not every 9900k will be stable at 5ghz on reasonable voltages (1.25-1.3v for example) 1.35v -1.4v is very hard to cool at that point, also which motherboard do you have? some z390 boards especially in the mid to low end range arent equiped to deal with an overclocked 9900k.

TRENDING THREADS