[SOLVED] i9 9900k temps - are these acceptable ?

snowy2020

Reputable
May 27, 2020
Hi,

I have just OC'd my CPU and was wondering if the temps I am getting are normal ?

My system spec is :

CPU: i9 9900k
AIO: Corsair H100i Platinum
MB: Asus ROG Strix z390-F Gaming
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM - 32Gb (2x16)
SSD 1 : Seagate 2tb Firecuda 510 M.2 NVME (boot)
SSD 2 : Samsung 850 Evo 1tb
HDD : WD Black 3Tb
GPU: MSI RTX 2080Ti Trio Gaming X
PSU: Corsair HX1000
CASE: Corsair 780t White
Screen res 2k

Overclock is at 4.8Ghz done using the Asus ROG Auto AI optimization in the BIOS.

Here are the CPU-Z reports :

https://www.screencast.com/t/huvioTvW6

Normal day to day use (lots of browser tabs, code editors, ftp software, slack, skype all running) shows about 38-50c.

Playing Shadow Of The Tomb Raider the temps average around 40-50 - Now and again 60.

Playing Metro Exodus temps hitting 60-70 - Max for that day was 75 (It was a hot day and lots of coding, browsing and a an hour of gaming)

Stress testing with Realbench for 1 hour the temps hit a Max of 87c.

Cool morning here right now - Temps whilst writing this are 32-35 - 8 firefox tabs open, Slack, Skype and a few other lightweight apps.

Just run a Cinebench and the temps hit 85 - Screenie : https://www.screencast.com/t/ftd8D35R

Do these temps seem OK ? The Realbench one worried me a little.

Solution
You are more than good so no worries as temps are also good. Using Asus AI optimisation is okay but it tends to feed more voltage than a good manual setting and I wouldn't be surprised if with a bit of work you could get a very low vcore at say 1.25v or less for a all core 4.8GHz and even 5Ghz all core at around 1.3v...

There should be plenty of guides and posts on the 9900K overclocking that should help you fine tune you vcore and clocks as the 9900K is a good CPU that overclocks very well and even if running lower clocks you can still bring the vcore down and temps with it with some tuning...
I think I wouldn't worry, at least for this cpu with these temperatures. From what I know and what I've heard it can be stable at also a bit more. 87 degrees at one hour stress test sounds ok. It is more important if it throttles (and when it throttles) and if it keeps rising temperatures to significantly higher than 100 degr. I know some of his 'brothers' operating well in even something like 104-113.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Hi,

I have just OC'd my CPU and was wondering if the temps I am getting are normal ?

My system spec is :

CPU: i9 9900k
AIO: Corsair H100i Platinum
MB: Asus ROG Strix z390-F Gaming
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM - 32Gb (2x16)
SSD 1 : Seagate 2tb Firecuda 510 M.2 NVME (boot)
SSD 2 : Samsung 850 Evo 1tb
HDD : WD Black 3Tb
GPU: MSI RTX 2080Ti Trio Gaming X
PSU: Corsair HX1000
CASE: Corsair 780t White
Screen res 2k

Overclock is at 4.8Ghz done using the Asus ROG Auto AI optimization in the BIOS.

Here are the CPU-Z reports :

https://www.screencast.com/t/huvioTvW6

Normal day to day use (lots of browser tabs, code editors, ftp software, slack, skype all running) shows about 38-50c.

Playing Shadow Of The Tomb Raider the temps average around 40-50 - Now and again 60.

Playing Metro Exodus temps hitting 60-70 - Max for that day was 75 (It was a hot day and lots of coding, browsing and a an hour of gaming)

Stress testing with Realbench for 1 hour the temps hit a Max of 87c.

Cool morning here right now - Temps whilst writing this are 32-35 - 8 firefox tabs open, Slack, Skype and a few other lightweight apps.

Just run a Cinebench and the temps hit 85 - Screenie : https://www.screencast.com/t/ftd8D35R

Do these temps seem OK ? The Realbench one worried me a little.

Same mainboard but my CPU is 9700K. Your temperatures are OK.

Both 9700K and 9900K run quite hot. I have an air cooler(Artic Freezer 34) and I can easily see numbers reaching 85 degrees without any overclocking when playing Battlefield V. (Note 85 degrees Celcius are peak values, aand my CPU runs low to high 70s 99 percent of the time)

Last edited:
Reactions: AJNameS
You are more than good so no worries as temps are also good. Using Asus AI optimisation is okay but it tends to feed more voltage than a good manual setting and I wouldn't be surprised if with a bit of work you could get a very low vcore at say 1.25v or less for a all core 4.8GHz and even 5Ghz all core at around 1.3v...

There should be plenty of guides and posts on the 9900K overclocking that should help you fine tune you vcore and clocks as the 9900K is a good CPU that overclocks very well and even if running lower clocks you can still bring the vcore down and temps with it with some tuning...

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

CompuTronix

Intel Master
... what I've heard it can be stable at also a bit more. 87 degrees at one hour stress test sounds ok. It is more important if it throttles (and when it throttles) and if it keeps rising temperatures to significantly higher than 100 degr. I know some of his 'brothers' operating well in even something like 104-113.

Respectfully, just so you know, it's not good advice to imply that it's OK to run a CPU that hot. Here it is from Intel's engineers: Inside Intel's Secret Overclocking Lab - See paragraphs 7, 8 & 9

Like the majority of Intel's processors, the Tj Max specification (Throttle temperature) for the i9-9900K is 100°C, which is already too hot.

Here it is on Intel's Product Specification website: See Package Specifications
Here it is on Intel's Datasheets: See page 99, Table 5-4

Astonishingly, 9th and 10th Generation "Z" motherboards have BIOS settings that allow users to violate and exceed Tj Max by up to 115°C, which is no doubt what you were referring to. It's a incredibly bad idea for Asus or ASRock or Gigabyte or MSI to allow users to tamper with this setting in the name of competition. It's nearly as bad as disabling CPU Thermal Protection.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

snowy2020,

Please tell us, what does a "cool morning" mean? What's your ambient temperature?

Core temperatures increase and decrease with ambient temperature. The International Standard for "normal" ambient (room) temperature is 22°C or 72°F.

If you'd like to know how to properly test cooling performance, then just click on the link in my signature and go to Sections 10, 11 & 12.

CT :sol: