Question i9 9900k temps/ RAM frequency.

Whoppsh

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019
I’m new here so be gentle! :)

I got a new mobo and the 9900k. Everything is going well so far. However just curious on how hot this thing is supposed to run. All cores sometimes hitting 100% load while playing anthem the highest the CPU has gotten is 73C. It’s boosting up to 5ghz on its own so it seems like it’s not thermal throttling. Is this normal?

One more question. I bought g.skill vengeance ram @3200mhz. Using CPU-z however reveals it’s only running at 1600mhz. In bios I have the XMP profile on and it “says” it’s 3200 but everything is set to auto for the motherboard to choose the speed. I have a ASUS Z390 Pro4. Not sure how to fix that.

Thanks!

Whoppsh

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019
The temps aren't that bad. Trying to figure out what the problem is with the ram.

Edit: remove the auto, we don't want the motherboard controlling the ram speed.
Okay so temps are completely fine? Yeah I’ll remove that and see. I remember removing auto and setting it to 3200 but it failed to boot.

I’m new here so be gentle! :)

I got a new mobo and the 9900k. Everything is going well so far. However just curious on how hot this thing is supposed to run. All cores sometimes hitting 100% load while playing anthem the highest the CPU has gotten is 73C. It’s boosting up to 5ghz on its own so it seems like it’s not thermal throttling. Is this normal?

One more question. I bought g.skill vengeance ram @3200mhz. Using CPU-z however reveals it’s only running at 1600mhz. In bios I have the XMP profile on and it “says” it’s 3200 but everything is set to auto for the motherboard to choose the speed. I have a ASUS Z390 Pro4. Not sure how to fix that.

Thanks!

RAM readings are normal, my CPU-Z show same thing with 3200 MHz selected...(i.e., half of the effective freq, it's a DDR thing)

73C under a load is actually not bad for the 9900K at all...

Whoppsh

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019
RAM readings are normal, my CPU-Z show same thing with 3200 MHz selected...(i.e., half of the effective freq, it's a DDR thing)

73C under a load is actually not bad for the 9900K at all...

So how do I actually know it’s running at 3200. Shouldn’t it show the actual value? Just seems odd that it would show half? Is it because it’s dual Channel? Not to familiar with ram frequency

TRENDING THREADS