[SOLVED] i9-9900k Temps with new cooler

Jun 18, 2020
I just installed a new cooler, a Corsair H115i Elite Capellix onto my i9-9900k OC'd to 5.0GHz. My voltage is at 1.295. My idle temps have been sitting at around 34-37C, but when I go into Cinebench R23, my temps sometimes shoot up to 80-83C. I'm a little concerned about the temps. Thanks for the help.

Solution
R23? How long has that been out?

R20 automatically updated to R23 on my PC... O_O

I don't see a problem, other than using Cinebench for a thermal stability test. That's not the best application for it - testing voltage stability is.
Testing thermal stability needs a constant, steady workload. Testing voltage stability needs a fluctuating one.
Cinebench falls in the latter.
Prime95, Small FFT, All 3 AVX options off, is the closest thing to Intel's own thermal stability tests.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
R23? How long has that been out?

R20 automatically updated to R23 on my PC... O_O

I don't see a problem, other than using Cinebench for a thermal stability test. That's not the best application for it - testing voltage stability is.
Testing thermal stability needs a constant, steady workload. Testing voltage stability needs a fluctuating one.
Cinebench falls in the latter.
Prime95, Small FFT, All 3 AVX options off, is the closest thing to Intel's own thermal stability tests.

Solution
Jun 18, 2020
No. I’m just saying that in realbench, most of the time the cores are in the 70s, and the hottest it ever got was 82C. But there was never more than a 10 C difference between the coolest and hottest cores.

Your temps are semi-normal for those sorts of loads...

If that's an all-core 5 GHz, I'm surprised the temps are not higher, frankly.

(We know that all CPUs are magically useless unless at any clock speed below the magic goal of all-core 5 GHz, so we would never suggest lowering clock speeds by even 100 MHz if your temps are marginal!)