Jan 28, 2017
Good day to all of you.
My rig:
I9 9900K
Asus Z390-F
Thermaltake Floee ring 360 AIO
32GB Corsair vengeance RGB(Xmp profile enabled) 3600Mhz
Corsair 1200W psu

I have been saving up for a while now and finally got a great deal on an I9 9900K with the Asus Z390-F motherboard. So I wanted to play around a bit with overclocking, keep in mind I have never overclocked before and this was my first time even attempting an overclock(as you'll find out it's not really and actual overclock ^^). So first thing I noticed was that the out of box CPU speed was 4.1GHz, I left it like this for a couple of days but it bothered me alot as I knew this cpu is more than capable enough of running at higher speeds so I decided to do a bit of research on overclocking and such. First thing that came to mind after watching a few you tube tutorials was just sheer fear, and I did second guess myself a few times as I don't want to fry my CPU or anything as it rwally needs to hold me atleast for 2-3 years, but I overcame my fear and decided to just go for it. So what I did was I went into bios and changed all the power settings:

Long duration package power limit:Highest falue
Package power time window:Highest falue
Short duration package power limit: Highest falue
Cpu core/cache current limit: Highest falue
Cpu Current capability: Highest falue

And then I enabled the setting which allows the CPU to run at the Turbo boost frequency which is 4.7GHz for me
Asus multicore enhancement: disabled

Thats it. I haven't touched the voltages or anything else as I just want to be able to hit 4.7Ghz as I really don't feel like manually overclocking it to 5Ghz or 5.1Ghz as I am really scared I do something wrong.

After testing the performance boost was amazing and exactly what I wanted. Temperatures at idle are around 35 to 40°C and peak at 60°C 4.7Ghz under load . Voltages are between 1.25V and peaks at 1.35V occasionally hitting 1.38V but fluctuates alot. This is basically my biggest concern, are those voltage values safe and correct? I really dont want to fry my chip. Another question is that is it safe for my cpu to constantly be at 4.7Ghz even if I am just on the desktop?
All I need is just to hear someone that knows a bit more that me to just tell me that these values are safe and they wont affect the longevity of my cpu whatsoever.

Your help will be greatly appreciated
Greetings
Morne

Solution
You've probably gone a little overboard here, honestly.

Your CPU, under stock operations will clock as low as 3.6GHz under minimal loads (and as low as ~800MHz, IIRC when completely idle and power saving).

When the CPU is under load, you should see it ramp up to it's rated clocks..... you could try Cinebench R15 or R20 to get a quick idea.

Then, enabling "High Performance" power plan in Windows should be enough to peg the chip @ 4.7 all core/ 5GHz single core for, 24/7 usage without 'overclocking'.

If you want to run at stock (or stock + ASUS MCE), you don't need to do anything at all.

While nothing you've changed is a problem, per se, personally, I'd load optimized defaultsi n the BIOs (removes all changes you've made thus far)...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Your CPU, under stock operations will clock as low as 3.6GHz under minimal loads (and as low as ~800MHz, IIRC when completely idle and power saving).

When the CPU is under load, you should see it ramp up to it's rated clocks..... you could try Cinebench R15 or R20 to get a quick idea.

Then, enabling "High Performance" power plan in Windows should be enough to peg the chip @ 4.7 all core/ 5GHz single core for, 24/7 usage without 'overclocking'.

If you want to run at stock (or stock + ASUS MCE), you don't need to do anything at all.

While nothing you've changed is a problem, per se, personally, I'd load optimized defaultsi n the BIOs (removes all changes you've made thus far), enable XMP and run a basic stress test (like Cinebench).

From there, either enable or disable MCE (depending how performance/temps/voltages look) and set the 'high performance' power plan in Windows.

Most 9900Ks should be fine for 5GHz (under "sync all cores" in the BIOS), with a manually set voltage around 1.35-1.4V, possibly lower.

In terms of voltages, those are fine.... pretty typical for an "auto" setting

According to Intel, the maximum voltage for a 9900K is 1.52V.... although #1 - this seems ridiculous and #2 - unless you're pushing for a maximum overclock and have exotic cooling, you should never be contemplating >1.4V anyway. .

Reactions: toniplavna
Solution

Morne19

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017

While nothing you've changed is a problem, per se, personally, I'd load optimized defaultsi n the BIOs (removes all changes you've made thus far), enable XMP and run a basic stress test (like Cinebench).

From there, either enable or disable MCE (depending how performance/temps/voltages look) and set the 'high performance' power plan in Windows.

Most 9900Ks should be fine for 5GHz (under "sync all cores" in the BIOS), with a manually set voltage around 1.35-1.4V, possibly lower.

In terms of voltages, those are fine.... pretty typical for an "auto" setting

According to Intel, the maximum voltage for a 9900K is 1.52V.... although #1 - this seems ridiculous and #2 - unless you're pushing for a maximum overclock and have exotic cooling, you should never be contemplating >1.4V anyway. .
Allright I'll do as you have suggested and get back to you, I did not know about the windows power mode, I'll try that first thing. Thanks for your help

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
"Balanced" is fine too, as it'll ramp up as/when required - but high performance will show you at your 'true' clock speed all the time. It's just a little simpler, at the expense of some power draw... however negligible that may or may not be.

Morne19

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
"Balanced" is fine too, as it'll ramp up as/when required - but high performance will show you at your 'true' clock speed all the time. It's just a little simpler, at the expense of some power draw... however negligible that may or may not be.
Okay so I have done exactly as you've said, I loaded optimized defaults in BIOS only applying XMP. First thing I did after I have loaded into windows was open hardware monitor and I saw that cpu was still running at 4.7Ghz constantly, I then restarted pc to see if everything was reset and it was. I then enabled Hight Performance mode in windows power settings and jumped into a game, first thing I noticed was that my voltages have dropped, now never exceeding 1.32V and fluctuating between 1.25V and 1.3V, peaking at 1.32V sometimes but never exceeding, then proceeded to close the game and sat in windows idle for a couple of minutes and saw that cpu does drop to 800Mhz but only for a split second then goes up to 4.7Ghz constantly again. Is all of this normal?