[SOLVED] i9 9900k with 1060 3gb? or rtx 2060 super OC with i7 7700?

Sep 9, 2019
My Specs:
i7 7700
GTX 1060 3gb
16gb ram at 2400 (1 stick)
550W powersupply
around 55-65 Celsius underload

My problem:
I play fortnite competitively at 1080P 144Hz. locked frames at 160. However i keep getting frame drops, its never consistently 160. also sometimes huge frame drops down to like 40-60 late game. At first i thought it was the cooling of my pc so i upgraded from stock cooler to heat sink and now get 55-65 max temp under load. So thats def not the problem. So my question is, are these frame drops because of my i7 7700 (non K) or gtx 1060 3gb. I play on all low and near settings. I noticed the cpu works around 80+ % underload meanwhile when i minimize the game and check gpu load its usually around 50%. What should i upgrade, gpu or cpu first.

Solution
Is a second 16gb at 2400 going to make a big difference. or is it better to have 2x8 at 3200
The aim is to get dual channel mode for double data bandwidth if you buy a second 16GB module. Faster 3200 ram will improve fps further by just making things load in faster and that includes streamed data from the hard drive which all open world games do now. Dual channel and faster memory will give smoother fps and should help mitigate stutter.

Edit Also, you likely wont need to upgrade the CPU if upgrading the ram solves all your issues. The next upgrade to do would be a GTX 1660ti or RTX 2060 but you will need minimum 550watt PSU for that.
You are running a single somewhat slow memory module so that alone is one point you would want to upgrade to either a second 16GB module or a 2x8GB 3000 or 3200 kit. You could upgrade to a GTX 1660ti and increase fps by close to double in some quite a few games. Start with the memory upgrade and see if it helps.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I noticed the cpu works around 80+ % underload meanwhile when i minimize the game and check gpu load its usually around 50%.
Looking at usage while minimized isn't a great way to check GPU usage. Either log the usage or use a utility that has a built in graph, game for a little while, and then look at what usage was while gaming.

As said above, running single channel RAM could be having an impact. What motherboard do you have?

Sep 9, 2019
Looking at usage while minimized isn't a great way to check GPU usage. Either log the usage or use a utility that has a built in graph, game for a little while, and then look at what usage was while gaming.

As said above, running single channel RAM could be having an impact. What motherboard do you have?
i bought a pre-built GD30CI by asus. pretty much very cheap stuff, already upgraded my powersupply caus they gave me a 350W! Not sure what mobo it is but looks cheap. looking to upgrade it when i upgrade my cpu

Sep 9, 2019
You are running a single somewhat slow memory module so that alone is one point you would want to upgrade to either a second 16GB module or a 2x8GB 3000 or 3200 kit. You could upgrade to a GTX 1660ti and increase fps by close to double in some quite a few games. Start with the memory upgrade and see if it helps.
Is a second 16gb at 2400 going to make a big difference. or is it better to have 2x8 at 3200

The aim is to get dual channel mode for double data bandwidth if you buy a second 16GB module. Faster 3200 ram will improve fps further by just making things load in faster and that includes streamed data from the hard drive which all open world games do now. Dual channel and faster memory will give smoother fps and should help mitigate stutter.

Edit Also, you likely wont need to upgrade the CPU if upgrading the ram solves all your issues. The next upgrade to do would be a GTX 1660ti or RTX 2060 but you will need minimum 550watt PSU for that.

Solution
Sep 9, 2019
OK, you're limited to 2400 MHz RAM for now then.
Im thinking of buying another 16gb ram stick at 3200 Mhz. I know theyre gonna both be running at 2400mhz but i will upgrade the second stick to 3200 later on. Is this motherboard compatible with a 3200mhz stick. like would it work at 2400mhz (underclocked is the term i think)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Im thinking of buying another 16gb ram stick at 3200 Mhz. I know theyre gonna both be running at 2400mhz but i will upgrade the second stick to 3200 later on. Is this motherboard compatible with a 3200mhz stick. like would it work at 2400mhz (underclocked is the term i think)
Your motherboard will not allow you to run your RAM faster than 3200 MHz. Even if all sticks are rated for 3200 MHz.

Yes, it would work to use a 3200 MHz stick running at 2400 MHz. Note that if you combine sticks that were not purchased together as a kit there is a possibility they will not be stable together.

Sep 9, 2019

Thanks! going to order ram and see if it fixes the problem. if not rtx 2060 super next! i recently upgraded to 550w power supply so phew!

You would honestly be better off buying a 2x8GB 3200 kit instead of a single 16GB since you are unlikely to ever need 32GB just to play games, especially Fortnite. Sell the 16GB module or keep it

Reactions: ellisael and King_V
So bottom line is this. Get a second 2400Mhz module of the same part number if possible or try to get the same timings. Download and run CPU-Z and check the SPD tab for the modules brand and part number. Edit Or just get a 2x8GB kit, either will be about the same price.

@Third-Eye @TJ Hooker
Since i cant run ram more than 2400mhz, the whole purpose is to enable dual channeling. 16gb is already enough is it possible to enable dual channeling with lets say a 4gb ddr4 at 2400mhz? 32gb is not necessary at all

this way ill have 2 ram sticks. 1 16gb 1 4gb. both running at 2400mhz
For dual channel mode to work it has to be the same module size. Speed and timing is determined by the slowest of the two modules.

Edit You could buy a cheaper 2x4GB kit instead and buy another 2x4GB later on if you need 16GB.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
@Third-Eye @TJ Hooker
Since i cant run ram more than 2400mhz, the whole purpose is to enable dual channeling. 16gb is already enough is it possible to enable dual channeling with lets say a 4gb ddr4 at 2400mhz? 32gb is not necessary at all

this way ill have 2 ram sticks. 1 16gb 1 4gb. both running at 2400mhz
Sort of, it'd be running in a kind of hybrid dual channel mode called flex channel. Basically you'd end up with 4GB of the 16GB stick running in dual channel with the other 4GB stick, and then the remaining 8GB running in single channel. Not ideal.

Sort of, it'd be running in a kind of hybrid dual channel mode called flex channel. Basically you'd end up with 4GB of the 16GB stick running in dual channel with the other 4GB stick, and then the remaining 8GB running in single channel. Not ideal.
I've personally only gotten asynchronous mode to work once out of maybe 5 attempts over the last 2 years, so I basically never recommend mixing different sized modules. I have had far more success using same capacity modules with different timings from different brands. It's just easier to tell people top just buy one or two module to get dual channel.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Sep 9, 2019
I've personally only gotten asynchronous mode to work once out of maybe 5 attempts over the last 2 years, so I basically never recommend mixing different sized modules. I have had far more success using same capacity modules with different timings from different brands. It's just easier to tell people top just buy one or two module to get dual channel.
@Third-Eye @TJ Hooker

here is my ram info: View: https://imgur.com/0tqVkNj

here are 2 options im looking to buy:
https://www.newegg.ca/hyperx-16gb-2...2qxluf18iHku9LxrbrNFLnIcbMo0ubChoCL0IQAvD_BwE
or
https://www.amazon.ca/Ballistix-Sin...3200mhz&qid=1568059372&s=gateway&sr=8-23&th=1

questions: will it work with current stick and which is better