Question i9 9900kf purchse

osubuckeyes76

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2014
Quick question... I am replacing an i9 9900k that went bad. I am going to RMA the chip now. I'm thinking of buying a i9 9900kf brand new in a sealed box. I will be using the chip strictly for gaming pc 1080ti. Everything that I'm reading says only difference is the KF has no integrated gpu... Is there anything else that I'm missing??? Thanks!!!

osubuckeyes76

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2014
yes. The cpu was delidded and used with my buddies build. He gave me the board and cpu to use. I used a H115i AIO water cooler ( he had a customer water cooler installed before giving it to me ) and it booted one time and then nothing. Fans turned on and all RGB lights up but nothing but red CPU light on the board. LED debug does not even come on. So we ordered the exact same board.. Aorus z390 master motherboard. Installed all same components and nothing from CPU... gave back to friend and now he cant get chip to boot... Said he did more research and found that the h115i AIO cooler doesnt play nice with a naked die chip..????

So you have a business who is going to actually RMA a delidded CPU? (There might be a few delidded CPU resellers out there, of course, but, 99% of resellers will disavow any CPUs so messed with)

Naked die cooling? it's a fairly fragile die under the IHS with no heat spreader, so, it'd be easy to overtighten things until cracks occur, or, with no IHS, have insufficient contact for cooling...

Anyway, good luck with your RMA efforts.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker

osubuckeyes76

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2014
I have been told that Intel will give you a one time RMA.. it costs $40 even if the chip has been delidded. Not sure what will happen at this point... going to go with the i9 9900kf stock new in sealed box :)