[SOLVED] I9 9900ks Air cooler

DDP2020

Reputable
Aug 7, 2016
I bought the Intel i9 9900ks CPU and at the same time bought the Deepcool Assassin iii CPU cooler to cool it. Not thinking about whether it will fit into my Aerocool mechatron x mid tower case i was all gitty. It got here and I see tge size of this thing and am wondering if maybe I need to buy a new case. That is my reason for this thread should I send the cooler back and get another? Or buy a new case? Will not be overclocking but if the opportunity for 5ghz all core is there i would like to be able to run it at the rated speed without the worry of overheating. Hoping to keep the case but will get new one if need be. I am not comfortable with liquid cooling yet so that is not a option. Thank you guys for your help.

Solution
There is no guarantee. Everything, and I mean Everything, is subject to Murphy's Law. If it's going to leak, it will. When is a different question.

I've only ever had to fix 1 pc (clients) that had a leak from an aio, and he installed it himself. He was in a hurry to get the pc back up and running, so just shoved the hoses in, putting undue torque stress on the pump fittings, causing a break in the seal and a consequential leak. My boss (at the time also fixed one). I've installed over 100 aios (at a conservative count) and never had one come back to me.

Leaks can happen. Pumps can fail. I've had a Phanteks aircooler with a warped base, Noctua aircooler with a leaking heat pipe. CoolerMaster/Corsair fans DOA. **it happens. You are at...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Assuming this is the correct case: http://www.aerocool.us/pgs/pgs-b/mechatron_b.htm
It supports coolers of up to 175mm. The Assassin 3 has a height of 165mm, but if the motherboard's ram is equipped with tall heatspreaders, this will add to the total height.

Will not be overclocking but if the opportunity for 5ghz all core is there i would like to be able to run it at the rated speed without the worry of overheating.
Yes, it has an all core turbo of 5ghz, but you may have to make some manual tweaks in bios depending on your motherboard:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVLuKqfyVyw

Also, there's no headroom for overclocking this thing on an air cooler.

DDP2020

Reputable
Aug 7, 2016
Assuming this is the correct case: http://www.aerocool.us/pgs/pgs-b/mechatron_b.htm
It supports coolers of up to 175mm. The Assassin 3 has a height of 165mm, but if the motherboard's ram is equipped with tall heatspreaders, this will add to the total height.

Yes, it has an all core turbo of 5ghz, but you may have to make some manual tweaks in bios depending on your motherboard:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVLuKqfyVyw

Also, there's no headroom for overclocking this thing on an air cooler.
But it would be safe to use a air cooler? Yes that is the case and my favorite case of all time.

I'd have my doubts that even the NH-D15 would be able to handle the 9900KS at sustained all-core 5 GHz action. assuming it was recommended that a large AIO be used....

(In any event, Intel's XTU could be very easily used to shave off .05V and 100-200 MHz if heat warrants it....; I rather doubt these CPUs at 5 GHz will often see south of 85C, but, good luck with yours...)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
9900k/s at 5.0GHz all core turbo is looking at 250w heat output. NH-D15 is rated at 250w+. Deepcool Assassin III is rated at 280w.

Either way, there's basically No room for OC, you are looking at coolers equitable to output, or basically fully able to allow the cpu to hit TjMax

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's definitely doable, but it requires good case cooling and manual tweaks in bios.
Leaving it to the auto settings is obviously a bad idea, unless one has a Z390 Asus board, which was shown in the above video to follow Intel's 127w TDP standard(the other vendors didn't follow, apparently).

Heck, Der8aeur did it with a D15S on an open test bench(which doesn't have any direct airflow):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Ujni7-fVM&feature=youtu.be&t=104

9900KS is binned, so it'll be able to run 5.0ghz with less voltage and power.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Even cases with excellent airflow characteristics will always run higher temps than a test bench. With a test bench, the cpu cooler has direct access to the 22/23°C ambient air it's sitting in. In any case, you can look forward to a minimum of 3ish °C above ambient, more often closer to 6-8°C above ambient.

While normally this only affects idle temps, there is correlation to load temps under extended periods, especially in gaming situations where an axial gpu is dumping masses of heat into the case.

A test bench is only good for what is possible, under the best of circumstances. Not what is probable. World record holders have taken FX cpus up over 8kMHz, sustained, verified stability. Your average homeowner wouldn't even see 6kMHz. So what Der8aeur accomplished is not what's going to happen for Joe User.

DDP2020

Reputable
Aug 7, 2016
9900k/s at 5.0GHz all core turbo is looking at 250w heat output. NH-D15 is rated at 250w+. Deepcool Assassin III is rated at 280w.

Either way, there's basically No room for OC, you are looking at coolers equitable to output, or basically fully able to allow the cpu to hit TjMax
So i would have nothing to worry about running my i9 9900ks at default settings with no adjustment using the Deepcool Assassin III or would you recommend liquid cooling?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For that cpu, it's a toss up. And highly dependent on the kinds of loads it'll see vrs your expectations.

If it's only going to see 6-10 thread apps, pushing @ 50-60% usage, the big air won't be an issue as you'll be pushing 100-150w at best, maybe 200w under the worst games.

It'll be a different story entirely if you want to stress test, render, stream, or even run games that'll push close to 16 threads at 70%+ usage. You'll be running 200w+ and can expect temps above @80°C all the way up to where the cpu actually starts throttling back on threads to cut back on temps.

Honestly, that cpu (plus the 9900k + any OC) is recommended for minimum 280mm AIO, 360mm is better and full custom loop is preference.
If you want to try and keep temps manageable under any circumstance.

Those 2 cpus in particular are the only 2 where high temps are the norm, and anything close to managed is a bonus. There is no 'I wanna get temps under 50°C' attitude. It simply doesn't apply.

DDP2020

Reputable
Aug 7, 2016
For that cpu, it's a toss up. And highly dependent on the kinds of loads it'll see vrs your expectations.

If it's only going to see 6-10 thread apps, pushing @ 50-60% usage, the big air won't be an issue as you'll be pushing 100-150w at best, maybe 200w under the worst games.

It'll be a different story entirely if you want to stress test, render, stream, or even run games that'll push close to 16 threads at 70%+ usage. You'll be running 200w+ and can expect temps above @80°C all the way up to where the cpu actually starts throttling back on threads to cut back on temps.

Honestly, that cpu (plus the 9900k + any OC) is recommended for minimum 280mm AIO, 360mm is better and full custom loop is preference.
If you want to try and keep temps manageable under any circumstance.

Those 2 cpus in particular are the only 2 where high temps are the norm, and anything close to managed is a bonus. There is no 'I wanna get temps under 50°C' attitude. It simply doesn't apply.
So just to be safe you would go with the 280 Rad instead of the bulky air cooler? If so then what brand of the 280 Rad would you recommend to guarantee no leakage? This would be my first AIO build and i do not have the money too spend on new components if the Rad would leak.

Gee_Simpson

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2015
So just to be safe you would go with the 280 Rad instead of the bulky air cooler? If so then what brand of the 280 Rad would you recommend to guarantee no leakage? This would be my first AIO build and i do not have the money too spend on new components if the Rad would leak.

I just bought the new Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 for my new i9 9900k. Great thing about it is the price and apparently Arctic have built this from the ground up, it's their own design, not the usual Asetek build. It's getting amazing reviews too, seems a good one. 2 year warranty isn't the longest though.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There is no guarantee. Everything, and I mean Everything, is subject to Murphy's Law. If it's going to leak, it will. When is a different question.

I've only ever had to fix 1 pc (clients) that had a leak from an aio, and he installed it himself. He was in a hurry to get the pc back up and running, so just shoved the hoses in, putting undue torque stress on the pump fittings, causing a break in the seal and a consequential leak. My boss (at the time also fixed one). I've installed over 100 aios (at a conservative count) and never had one come back to me.

Leaks can happen. Pumps can fail. I've had a Phanteks aircooler with a warped base, Noctua aircooler with a leaking heat pipe. CoolerMaster/Corsair fans DOA. **it happens. You are at the mercy of the little guy who just finished the component you bought, on a Friday at 4:59 so rushed it or on a Monday morning after fighting with the wife Sunday night.

No guarantee. There's over a million aios manufactured and sold every year. And 10 videos on YouTube about leaks from this year. It's a pretty acceptable failure rate, even if there were 100 videos. There's an exponentially larger amount of psu failures, gpu failures even storage failures than there are leaks from aios.

Best warranty I know of from personal experience? Evga or Corsair. The pc my boss fixed was from a hose that blew on a Corsair aio (old style plastic hoses, no longer used) and sprayed everything inside. Corsair replaced the entire pc.

Theres only a handful of manufactures of pumps and rads used in aios, mostly Asetek or Coolit designs some with custom details like rgb/argb etc. So the basic performance possible is pretty equitable. The differences will be with individual fans. Plain fans work better than rgb/argb. Rgb/argb can look better. Or be more desirable. But overall, the differences are minor with the big name brands. Corsair, Thermaltake, Fractal Design, CoolerMaster, Evga, Nzxt, all similar. Just depends on the model, the included fans, the gimmicks.

Gonna withhold judgment on the new Arctic for a while. The previous gen units were not too shabby at all, got very decent performance at very good sound levels. The only issue was the coolant used, I'm guessing there wasn't a good mix of anti-fungal in it, so pumps were failing on some ppl at the 1-2 year mark after getting bunged up by bad coolant. Shame really.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unolocogringo
Solution

Gee_Simpson

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2015
Gonna withhold judgment on the new Arctic for a while. The previous gen units were not too shabby at all, got very decent performance at very good sound levels. The only issue was the coolant used, I'm guessing there wasn't a good mix of anti-fungal in it, so pumps were failing on some ppl at the 1-2 year mark after getting bunged up by bad coolant. Shame really.

Lets hope the one I bought doesn't break!

DDP2020

Reputable
Aug 7, 2016

Leaks can happen. Pumps can fail. I've had a Phanteks aircooler with a warped base, Noctua aircooler with a leaking heat pipe. CoolerMaster/Corsair fans DOA. **it happens. You are at the mercy of the little guy who just finished the component you bought, on a Friday at 4:59 so rushed it or on a Monday morning after fighting with the wife Sunday night.

No guarantee. There's over a million aios manufactured and sold every year. And 10 videos on YouTube about leaks from this year. It's a pretty acceptable failure rate, even if there were 100 videos. There's an exponentially larger amount of psu failures, gpu failures even storage failures than there are leaks from aios.

Best warranty I know of from personal experience? Evga or Corsair. The pc my boss fixed was from a hose that blew on a Corsair aio (old style plastic hoses, no longer used) and sprayed everything inside. Corsair replaced the entire pc.

Theres only a handful of manufactures of pumps and rads used in aios, mostly Asetek or Coolit designs some with custom details like rgb/argb etc. So the basic performance possible is pretty equitable. The differences will be with individual fans. Plain fans work better than rgb/argb. Rgb/argb can look better. Or be more desirable. But overall, the differences are minor with the big name brands. Corsair, Thermaltake, Fractal Design, CoolerMaster, Evga, Nzxt, all similar. Just depends on the model, the included fans, the gimmicks.

I am thinking of going with https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16835181152?Item=N82E16835181152
is that one that you would recommend to someone who is just starting out on AIO coolers with a 9900ks?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Air or AIO, same thing in that respect. Only real difference being where the rad is mounted, the radiator is nothing more than an overly large heatsink mounted to the case instead of a much more solid and dense heatsink mounted to the cpu. So it's not like you are really starting out on anything new, just a different aspect of something familiar.

Full custom loop is a different story altogether. 😉

And yes, the H115i Platinum is very decent.

Which case? I can't find a mechatron X, just the Black steel, B and mesh, and they all seem to have different fan setups.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO 55.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: EVGA CLC 280 113.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($136.36 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 280 TT Premium Edition 63.19 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($171.48 @ Amazon)

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
According to Aerocool website for the PGS-B Mechatron Black Steel:
  1. Front - can install 1~3 12cm fans - (w/Fan adaptor) (1 x 12cm RED LED fan included)
  2. Top - 2 x 12 fan (Optional)
  3. Bottom1 x 12 or 14cm fan (Optional)
Looks like a 360mm AIO will be the best fit in front as really the case only fits 120mm fans at any relevant intake/exhaust points.

Other case versions can fit 2x 140mm or even a 200mm Fan in front/top, which is why I asked. Same look, different internal design and specs. The other cases don't include 3x 120mm at front, or mention of adapter. Or how exactly that works, you may be limited to a 240mm AIO at best. It's really poor literature. You may end up contacting Aerocool directly for a more precise answer.

DDP2020

Reputable
Aug 7, 2016
According to Aerocool website for the PGS-B Mechatron Black Steel:
  1. Front - can install 1~3 12cm fans - (w/Fan adaptor) (1 x 12cm RED LED fan included)
  2. Top - 2 x 12 fan (Optional)
  3. Bottom1 x 12 or 14cm fan (Optional)
Looks like a 360mm AIO will be the best fit in front as really the case only fits 120mm fans at any relevant intake/exhaust points.

Other case versions can fit 2x 140mm or even a 200mm Fan in front/top, which is why I asked. Same look, different internal design and specs. The other cases don't include 3x 120mm at front, or mention of adapter. Or how exactly that works, you may be limited to a 240mm AIO at best. It's really poor literature. You may end up contacting Aerocool directly for a more precise answer.

Thanks i am just going to keep the air cooler and install it into this case , since i have it here and it fits i just hope that i do not have to take any of the fans out that i have in it now.