Question I9 9900ks temperatures

Jan 5, 2020
Hi guys
Just finished my custom loop over the weekend for my i9 9900ks. Running stress tests such as aida64, at stock 5.0ghz, i was seeing temps into the high 80s. In prime95 it was mid to high 70s. Just wondering if this is a normal temp for this cpu with a custom loop. I've read it's a hot chip, but I thought it would run a lot cooler with a custom loop.

Jan 5, 2020
my bad!
2 radiators, asus maximus code motherboard, 1080ti, only change in bios was setting xmp on.
20200104_175557.jpg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
:whistle:
I really wanted that case - but the doggone ROG Certified etched into the side panel was a big turnoff for me...

So, a Hydro X XR7 240mm Radiator + an XR7 360mm, all on the 9900KS? No love for the gpu...
That's gotta be some 800w of cooling in there...

What did you change in the bios?
What did you stress test with AIDA?

Jan 5, 2020
I'm pretty sure the ROG thing is a sticker... I'll try pull it off tonight haha! Only setting i changed in bios was turning on XMP. Pretty sure i used these settings.
unknown.png

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If all you did was enable XMP, then there's some room to get those temps lower; bios auto settings are not optimal.

From what I can see in the images though, you've still got bubbles left in the loop that still need bleeding out - in the distro plate at least.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Core voltage: use HWINFO and monitor how much voltage the cpu runs with on full load, and work your way down from there with increments of .010-.015mv.
Use manual voltage(easier) mode until you find a 'happy medium', and then use offset or adaptive modes if you want.

Cpu current: Medium to Medium-High settings. Avoid the max.
This merely increases the power the cpu is allowed to pull before the motherboard says 'Nope' and shuts everything down. Higher current limits = higher temps.

LLC(Load Line Calibration): Since you're also using an Asus mobo, besides Auto, it has Levels 1-8. No real need to use higher than 5.

AVX Offsets: AVX instruction sets pull more power and require more voltage(more heat) to run at the same frequency as the standard x86 ones.
So if you find the lowest stable voltage for your 9900KS at 5.0ghz, and then run a stress test that does use AVX, the test is very likely to crash. You can then use the offset, or revolve the cpu around the AVX frequency; it's not widely used though.

The highest, or maximum settings, or really for LN2 users or those who liquid cool their motherboard's VRMs. They don't just raise cpu temps.

Reactions: CompuTronix