Question i9 9900KS Temperture Problem

Nov 28, 2019
I am using a Corsair H150i Pro (AIO) cooler for my CPU, running at 5.1GHz and Vcore is 1.315V. The temperature is just insane!!! Even with 100% fan and pump speed, the temperature is barely below 100C when running prime 95 v26.6. Tried to run TimeSpy CPU test with 86% fan speed and full pump speed, the temperature was barely below 90C. Tried to play Assassin's Creed Origins , the temperature sits around 73-82 C, most of the time below 80C. I tried to reinstall the cooler and tighten the screws, but nothing changed. Is this normal or something is wrong with my cooler? I have unlocked everything so there is no thermal throttling as long as the temperature is below 100C, however the insane temperature really bothers me.

I am using a Corsair H150i Pro (AIO) cooler for my CPU, running at 5.1GHz and Vcore is 1.315V. The temperature is just insane!!! Even with 100% fan and pump speed, the temperature is barely below 100C when running prime 95 v26.6. Tried to run TimeSpy CPU test with 86% fan speed and full pump speed, the temperature was barely below 90C. Tried to play Assassin's Creed Origins , the temperature sits around 73-82 C, most of the time below 80C. I tried to reinstall the cooler and tighten the screws, but nothing changed. Is this normal or something is wrong with my cooler? I have unlocked everything so there is no thermal throttling as long as the temperature is below 100C, however the insane temperature really bothers me.
Depends on your ambient temperature and your case setup. Is your radiator intake or exhaust? Typically 360mm radiators aren’t any better STOCK as a 280mm but have better POTENTIAL. This also depends on how loud you want your system. I don’t care because I game with a headset. My recommendation would be to get better fans for that radiator to start.

Nov 28, 2019
Depends on your ambient temperature and your case setup. Is your radiator intake or exhaust? Typically 360mm radiators aren’t any better STOCK as a 280mm but have better POTENTIAL. This also depends on how loud you want your system. I don’t care because I game with a headset. My recommendation would be to get better fans for that radiator to start.
My radiator is intake and I am using a founder's edition GPU, so I think the case setup is fine. Thank you for your suggestions.

zx128k

Reputable
The 9900ks has high temps when overclocked, you need a strong water cooling system to keep it under control. See Extreme Radiators

The main issue is that getting the best one for example theWatercool MO-RA3 420 PRO Stainless Steel.
You will spend $236.03 for the radiator and then need 9 fans.

This is the price range of a chiller. https://www.sterner.co.uk/hailea-hc-300a-water-chiller/
https://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/...500-HC300-395Watt-cooling-capacity_20553.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Memphisto

Memphisto

Honorable
May 6, 2017
Hey!

The 9900KS is always very hot! especially at this frequency...
And Prime 95 always taxes your CPU way more than any other program and is therefore way hotter than it will ever get during normal use...

Something you could do to decrease the temperatures quite a bit would be to delid the CPU and put liquid metal on it.
BUT if you decide to do that..
first... you will void your warranty and
second... you have to be very careful delidding it!!
it is soldered and you could potentially destroy it if you dont take care.

here a little video demonstrating how the temperatures could change
Video by Der8auer

View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/r5Doo-zgyQs

zx128k

Reputable
Hey!

The 9900KS is always very hot! especially at this frequency...
And Prime 95 always taxes your CPU way more than any other program and is therefore way hotter than it will ever get during normal use...

Something you could do to decrease the temperatures quite a bit would be to delid the CPU and put liquid metal on it.
BUT if you decide to do that..
first... you will void your warranty and
second... you have to be very careful delidding it!!
it is soldered and you could potentially destroy it if you dont take care.

here a little video demonstrating how the temperatures could change
Video by Der8auer

View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/r5Doo-zgyQs

You might want to specify a avx offset which will reduce the multiplier when avx instructions are present.
Your prime95 stress test uses them.
Normally games do not.
If, under load conditions, you are under 100c you should not throttle.
85c might be a good target.

One key to good cooling is a good case.
What is the make/model of your case?
What is your fan arrangement?
Having the radiator as intake will be the best for cpu cooling.
If you take the case covers off, does that help much?
If so, look to case cooling solutions.
One option is to use higher rpm fans to move more air(at the cost of more noise)

One thing to try might be the intel performance maximizer app.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html

It takes into consideration a lot of variables.

Nov 28, 2019
You might want to specify a avx offset which will reduce the multiplier when avx instructions are present.
Your prime95 stress test uses them.
Normally games do not.
If, under load conditions, you are under 100c you should not throttle.
85c might be a good target.

One key to good cooling is a good case.
What is the make/model of your case?
What is your fan arrangement?
Having the radiator as intake will be the best for cpu cooling.
If you take the case covers off, does that help much?
If so, look to case cooling solutions.
One option is to use higher rpm fans to move more air(at the cost of more noise)

One thing to try might be the intel performance maximizer app.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html

It takes into consideration a lot of variables.
Thank you for your reply. I have decided to switch to a custom loop, this one just doesn't seem to be powerful enough.