[SOLVED] i9-9900KS vs i9-9900K

Mar 24, 2020
18
0
10
0
Hi all,

I'm just looking to buy the last few parts for my new gaming rig, and I am trying to decide if I should cash out for the special edition i9-9900KS vs i9-9900K. I looked around and saw that the original retail for the i9-9900KS was originally very close to the i9-9900K , but now the special edition is going for almost double the mundane version. I don't know if it's worth the extra money, could you advise? My build is as follows (purchased items are striked through):

Case
Corsair CC-9011141-WW Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA RGB - $100 on eBay

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE Gigabyte - $213.66 on Amazon

Cooling:
Hydro Series™ H115i RGB PLATINUM SE 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler - $141.08

Power Supply
Corsair HX750i - $120 on eBay

Ram
CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDR AM DDR4 3600MHz - $342.24 on Amazon

Moniter
Dell S2417DG QHD - $201.39 on eBay
Dell S2417DG QHD - $230 on eBay

Processor
Intel Core i9-9900KS - $1000+ on eBay
Intel Core i9-9900K - $519.99 on eBay
Intel Core i7-9700 - $346.99 on eBay

GPU
RTX 2080 Super - $650 on eBay
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super - $470 on eBay
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti - $900


HHD (M.2)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB - $220 on Amazon
 

Barty1884

Titan
Moderator
Every review I have seen on the KS mentions that if you are willing to pay extra for an assured 5ghz chip, go for it.
I'm sure each review was in the context of the small price bump at the time though.
If you can't compare retail to retail anymore, all bets are off - and certainly a complete waste of money at roughly 2x on eBay etc.

With 10th gen on the way, I wouldn't recommend either CPU, right now. Either go Ryzen, or wait and see what 10th gen has to offer.
Pretty much this, OP. Unless you have a reason not to wait (or go Ryzen), of course.
The 9900K/KS/KF are solid chips, for what they are.... but you don't want to have near immediate buyers remorse, if you can avoid it.
 

Barty1884

Titan
Moderator
A 9900KS is a (slightly) better binned 9900K, that can hit 5GHz, definitively, all-core out of the box - and tend to overclock a little better (~5.2GHz, for example).

In the vast majority of cases, a 9900K can hit those same clocks on the lower-end. CERTAINLY not worth paying double.

They were limited runs, so people are trying to capatilize on eBay - don't buy into that.

If you're considering a 9900K, it should be 9900K (with iGP) for around $520 or 9900KF (no iGP) for ~$500.
 
Every review I have seen on the KS mentions that if you are willing to pay extra for an assured 5ghz chip, go for it. They also mention that many if not most of the K series will get so close as to be inconsequential.

The F is sans onboard graphics.
 
Mar 24, 2020
18
0
10
0
I've already committed to intel by buying my motherboard which only supports intel, but I am concerned that this virus will delay any new processors and that prices in the near future will only rise.
 

Barty1884

Titan
Moderator
Every review I have seen on the KS mentions that if you are willing to pay extra for an assured 5ghz chip, go for it.
I'm sure each review was in the context of the small price bump at the time though.
If you can't compare retail to retail anymore, all bets are off - and certainly a complete waste of money at roughly 2x on eBay etc.

With 10th gen on the way, I wouldn't recommend either CPU, right now. Either go Ryzen, or wait and see what 10th gen has to offer.
Pretty much this, OP. Unless you have a reason not to wait (or go Ryzen), of course.
The 9900K/KS/KF are solid chips, for what they are.... but you don't want to have near immediate buyers remorse, if you can avoid it.
 
Mar 24, 2020
18
0
10
0
I guess I will save up for the GPU first and leave my CPU purchase for last. Might be able to find salvage an i7 that could tide me over till the next gen
 
Mar 24, 2020
18
0
10
0
Unless I get a new motherboard, I'll probably just get the 9900K, after the price drops from a new generation. The one I bought only supports 8th and 9th gen, so unless gen 10 uses the same socket...
 
Mar 24, 2020
18
0
10
0
Alright, well taking that into consideration, I will probably just get the CPU now. I don't really want to get another mubo, I got a pretty nice deal for a good motherboard. Thanks for all the info.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY