[SOLVED] i9-9990K & RTX 2080 or RTX 2080Ti Build (mixed use)

Jul 19, 2018
So for my Christmas build i was planning on getting an i9-9900K and RTX 2080 or 2080Ti if i do well on my finals. All top end parts. I plan to use my PC for mixed use (gaming, rendering, design, etc..)

I read somewhere that the i9-9900K is super fast at running code (coding is a part of the uni course i'm going to do). The 2080/2080Ti would cover my gaming needs. How well does it fare for rendering as well? (I don't want a Quadro or Titan, i can't afford that)

Btw, i will have 32GB RAM

Solution
As everyone is saying:

That's way too much overkill for basic use. You can use a 500$ laptop for quick coding and compiling at the uni level.

If you want to build a computer to handle both programming and games at a reasonable price, the Ryzen 7 3700x OR i7 8700k and 2080 super is the ideal choice to go.
If you want the best of the best you can get on the market today for both gaming and work, then go for the Ryzen 9 3900x (or the upcoming 3950x) OR i9 9900k with the 2080ti.

It honestly won't make a difference in the end for compiling code for uni level work. The only difference is the size of that hole in your pocket.

When you get into the millions of lines of code and small business level applications to run having such a beast...
So unless coding projects with millions of lines of code, will the processor make a practical difference? I'd say not.

It's a great processor, just make sure you understand why you're getting it, the next one down in the stack will be just as good, the Ryzen 7 and 9s will be just as good. Get it because you just want it. Don't put your self in a position where a friend at uni compiles just as fast on a much cheaper system,and then let yourself feel hard done by.

Do you run VMs? Do you emulate devices? They would probably benefit from the higher end.

As everyone is saying:

That's way too much overkill for basic use. You can use a 500$ laptop for quick coding and compiling at the uni level.

If you want to build a computer to handle both programming and games at a reasonable price, the Ryzen 7 3700x OR i7 8700k and 2080 super is the ideal choice to go.
If you want the best of the best you can get on the market today for both gaming and work, then go for the Ryzen 9 3900x (or the upcoming 3950x) OR i9 9900k with the 2080ti.

It honestly won't make a difference in the end for compiling code for uni level work. The only difference is the size of that hole in your pocket.

When you get into the millions of lines of code and small business level applications to run having such a beast of a computer will make sense.

Don't get me wrong, I have a 3900x and 2080ti and it was worth the foot I sold for it.

Solution