Question i9600k temperature too high?

Korr4k

Reputable
May 13, 2019
Specs.jpg

I recently changed both my mb and cpu, my specs are in the spoiler, and I'm wondering if the cpu is ok or if it is malfunctioning.
My cooler is a simple Cooler Master Hyper 212EVO and my case is a Itek ITGCR03. I have added to the case a back fan (out mode) and a lateral fan (in mode), the cooler fan is blowing the air to the back fan

I'm not an heavy gamer but I'll use the pc for some machine learning during the next month, nothing too big but I will train some networks and the process takes hours. I already tested a simple training and my CPU temperature went around a stable value of 70°C (+-10C). The fact is that during this training sessions, the cpu usage isn't even at 100% and both MB and GC (wich is useed too) are at least around 10 degrees less (actually even in idle my processor has higher temperatures then MB and GC).

A big factor that I should mention is that one of the cooler's screw isn't working (the case nut is broken), could this be a big factor (to me it seems that the cooler is well pushed down even with 3/4 screws but I could be wrong)? I can't really find online a replace to fix it (I haven't found the nut and the inner screw dimensions) and to get a liquid cooler I would have to change the case too, I'm willing to do it but only if necessary.

The screenshot I posted is from a 30 minutes IDLE (just browsing) with AI SUITE 3 on Power Saving mode (I use the software to control my fans)

To recap, is the temperature too high (do you need more tests/data)? If so, what do you think is the cause?

PS: I initially used not a lot of thermal paste, then noticed the next morning high temperatures during the mentioned training and so I increased the quantity, but I can't really see a difference

PPS: my room temperature is around 27-28 degrees

PPPS: in the screenshot the highest spike is around 70°C for temperature and 5GHz for max core fr

link for the broken Img

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'll be honest I couldn't really make out the imge you attached so will go off everything else you've stated.

A big factor that I should mention is that one of the cooler's screw isn't working (the case nut is broken), could this be a big factor (to me it seems that the cooler is well pushed down even with 3/4 screws but I could be wrong)?
This is a massive factor. You'll want to get this repaired. Whilst 3/4 may seem OK, it can typically mean the cooler isn't sitting correctly to the CPU, and you want this to be level and fully secure to maximise heat dissapation.

to get a liquid cooler I would have to change the case too, I'm willing to do it but only if necessary.
You don't NEED liquid cooling, air coolers in most cases can do just as well if not better, see point 6 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

PS: I initially used not a lot of thermal paste, then noticed the next morning high temperatures during the mentioned training and so I increased the quantity, but I can't really see a difference
Ideally, less is more. You want there to be one full and thin as possible layer between the CPU and the cooler to maximise heat dissapation. Obviously too little and you won't get the full coverage, too much and you lower efficiency, but it's not a fine science, and as long as you don't go crazy, you likely won't see a difference.

PPS: my room temperature is around 27-28 degrees
This is very important, because for every degree you are above normal testing temperatures, your CPU will be a degree hotter. The standard for normal ambient (room) temperature is 22°C, so your peak CPU temperature will be at least 5/6 degrees hotter than expected if your ambient is at 27/28.

Reactions: Korr4k

Korr4k

Reputable
May 13, 2019
@PC Tailor ty for the reply

I posted a direct link to the broken img (the spoiler tag probably messed with it) link

I'll look more carefully if I can find the specifics of the broken nut (it is the one that came with the cooler), if not I'll buy a new cooler.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Based on what I can see and what you have said, for intel processors, stick to this recommendation:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

Svr2si8.jpg

if your CPU is not going over 80 degrees, you're absolutely fine. Below 85 degrees, you're still fine, just it's better to stick below 80. And if you are over 85 degrees in stress testing, this is not a huge issue, you just don't want to prolong your exposure to this temperature over long periods of time.

So if you're consistently below 80 - you're all good.

You can view excellent detail and the link to the above information here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
@PC Tailor really ty, is there a topic for coller ratings? I'm not asking you to search for it but if you have it on hand please share it
You mean how effective different coolers are? There are several on a multitude of different forums! Including the guide I linked earlier. If you're referring to TDP etc. then just look at the guide above.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181.html

I would say Darkbreeze gave an excellent response not long back about this:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/looking-for-a-cpu-cooler.3499521/

Korr4k

Reputable
May 13, 2019
The problem with most of these coolers is their dimension, they will probably not fit with the rest of my hardware and if I have to change the tower I'll try a water one.

For example the Thermalright Legrand Macho RT isn't bad but my z370a2 has a big protective mask and I think it would get in the way :eek:

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The problem with most of these coolers is their dimension, they will probably not fit with the rest of my hardware and if I have to change the tower I'll try a water one.

For example the Thermalright Legrand Macho RT isn't bad but my z370a2 has a big protective mask and I think it would get in the way :eek:
Well if you check your case specification online, it will tell you the CPU cooler clearance.

RAM is where it gets awkward, but you'll find places like Noctua display very detailed design specs that try to clarify this for you. I couldn't comment for other manufacturers, but I know Noctua do this.

Jan 9, 2019
Did anyone not notice the mention of the broken CPU cooler bolt. Running this on 3 screws is asking for Toasted CPU. The CPU cooler is more than likely not touching the entire surface of the CPU.
I have this same cooler and my temps do not go over 45c while playing BF1.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Not that I don't agree that a broken metal connection on a CPU cooler will not be a major factor, it will.

But stable temperatures of 70° C in a "typical usage stress" situation is nothing to worry about in a processor where Tmax is 100° C. Spikes to that temperature are absolutely, positively, nothing to worry about.

This is so far from "overheating" as to be a non-issue. 30° C below Tmax is barely warm, let alone hot.

PC Tailor's advice at the outset is spot on.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Did anyone not notice the mention of the broken CPU cooler bolt. Running this on 3 screws is asking for Toasted CPU. The CPU cooler is more than likely not touching the entire surface of the CPU.
I have this same cooler and my temps do not go over 45c while playing BF1.
Absolutely, It was the first thing I mentioned in my first post :)

This is a massive factor. You'll want to get this repaired. Whilst 3/4 may seem OK, it can typically mean the cooler isn't sitting correctly to the CPU, and you want this to be level and fully secure to maximise heat dissapation.

Korr4k

Reputable
May 13, 2019
I was more worried about the random spikes in temperature as shown in the picture.

I tried just for the sake of it to run League of Legends (it's the only game I had on my external HDD), played the new mode, which I think isn't that hard on the hw, and the temperature was stable around 40-45 but had random spikes around 70 for maybe a second. I just bought the cpu so if it is broken I can change it without any problem.

I'll probably go with a Noctua NH-U12S, good dimensions and performances, I just hope it will be good for a 9600k

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I was more worried about the random spikes in temperature as shown in the picture.

I tried just for the sake of it to run League of Legends (it's the only game I had on my external HDD), played the new mode, which I think isn't that hard on the hw, and the temperature was stable around 40-45 but had random spikes around 70 for maybe a second. I just bought the cpu so if it is broken I can change it without any problem.

I'll probably go with a Noctua NH-U12S, good dimensions and performances, I just hope it will be good for a 9600k
The random spikes are perfectly natural behaviour for any CPU. The cores can react to small load changes, and react fast, and what you have is a voltage and a large amount of heat being generated into an incredibly small space incredibly quickly, thus the spikes.

it’s normal to see rapid and random Core temperature “spikes” or fluctuations, especially during the first few minutes after startup. Any software activity will show some percentage of CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager, where unnecessary Tray items, Startups, Processes and Services that contribute to excessive spiking can be disabled.