[SOLVED] i9900k boot loop when XMP enabled

bkrupa21

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I'm attempting to overclock my system, and every time I enable XMP, my bios is unable to load. I know it's the XMP setting because if I reset my bios settings to default and enable XMP, I see the same behavior.

System:
Corsair Vengeance LPX @4400mhz ram
Intel Core i9 9900k
Asus Maximus XI Hero (WI-FI) Motherboard

Can anybody point out what's going wrong?

Solution
Well yeah I would expect that. Not to be rude but if you expected a 4400mhz kit to run without issues by simply turning on the XMP profile you were wrong. That RAM kit is more for enthusiast overclockers, who are willing to deal with the many complications of getting a RAM kit like that to work at it's advertised speeds. I would never recommend a kit like that to a gamer, it's for enthusiasts trying to break benchmark records or the like. Im sure it runs very high DRAM voltage that I would never recommend for someone looking for a long lasting CPU memory controller and a stable system.

If I were you I would manually set DRAM voltage to 1.35v then manually adjust speed to as high as will run stable and timings as low as will run stable.
I am assuming you have a decent power supply around 650w and above. Secondly does the ssytems work when stock, so no overclock just XMP on? Finally it may be worth moving your RAM sticks to the other 2 slots as RAM can sometimes be an issue, especially as you are running very fast RAM.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well yeah I would expect that. Not to be rude but if you expected a 4400mhz kit to run without issues by simply turning on the XMP profile you were wrong. That RAM kit is more for enthusiast overclockers, who are willing to deal with the many complications of getting a RAM kit like that to work at it's advertised speeds. I would never recommend a kit like that to a gamer, it's for enthusiasts trying to break benchmark records or the like. Im sure it runs very high DRAM voltage that I would never recommend for someone looking for a long lasting CPU memory controller and a stable system.

If I were you I would manually set DRAM voltage to 1.35v then manually adjust speed to as high as will run stable and timings as low as will run stable.

Solution
A RAM OC requires 3 things in order to work.
The memory must work at that speed (XMP covers this)
The mobo must cope with the greater frequencies involved
The Memory controller (On the cpu) must also be able to cope

You've set up just one of these conditions, and not set the other 2 up. 4400 seems extreme for a mobo to cope with, and the IMC in my experience.

bkrupa21

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Yeah, I'm running a 1000w+ power supply. The Maximus board has suggested DIMM slots for memory sticks, so those are the ones I'm using.

As you are running very high RAM frequencies and it is worth trying them in the other slots as I once had this issue and it worked just by changing to the other slots.

The other comments also make a lot of sense as overclocked memory especially in the 4K and higher range can be an issue and do require some massaging in the BIOS. I would try to boot with something like DDR4000 to see if that runs first and then work your way up manually...