Question I9900K + MAXIMUS XI EXTREME + GSKILL F4000C17 PROBLEM, PLS HELP :(

SharPPPy

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Hi everybody,
as the title suggests I have a problem with my new build, below I explain my problem and the complete build.

Processor: I9-9900K
Mobo: Asus Maximus XI Extreme
Ram: G.Skill F4-4000C17Q-32GTZR Trident Z RGB
VGA: Titan Xp Collectors Edition Jedi
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1Tb
HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb
PSU: Seasonic Prime 1000 Titanium

Full custom loop EK: 2x Rad PE coolstream

So, at the first power-up everything seems to have gone well, I set the xmp 1 except and go out and everything is ok, while I was installing the drivers and restarting the system, it shuts down and restarts with the message "Memory Ok, pls enter in the bios and check ram setting ", once entered the bios I realize that the mobo has set values in the car for VCCIO and System Agent Voltage at 1.40, I would say very high values. I try to do a 5ghz oc with standard parameters:

AVX: 4
CPU core Voltage: from 1.30 to 1.34
LLC = 7

and unlocking all the various parameters as indicated in the various guides read on the net. Nothing at 5ghz I can't find stability even touching the VCCIO and System Agent Voltage.
Launching cinebanch r15 the pc always crashes. I have now did the tests with memtest.

Without XMP: 0 errors
With XMP 1: 3 errors (not completed)

I will place the screens

2dmeet.jpg

rmjp09.jpg

2yk0wuv.jpg

As you can see the values set automatically on the system agent voltage and VCCIO are very high.
Now I wonder if it's a IMC processor or RAM problem

PS: bios updated to the latest version

Please help me

thanks a lot

SharPPPy

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Well, no guarantee it will go that fast. Try slowing the memory down, or increasing the voltage.
Thanks for the reply.
I try to setup everything auto and only core ratio 5ghz and i not found stability from 1.30 to 1.34. I think the procio have a bad IMC, i know VCCIO and System Agent Voltage require more voltage when we use fast ram speed.
I don't know what to do, i will take another 9900k and i will send back my.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
5Ghz across all cores is pretty harsh for a 9900k, might take way more than 1.34 volts. I'm pumping 1.416 through my 7700k to get to 5Ghz, not a great CPU sample, but it is stable (for now)

I've certainly seen people who have achieved better, but you have to ask yourself the conditions. Cold start, air conditioned rooms, etc. A lot of people that post are doing so to brag, they don't often mention day to day use. Getting it to pass cinebench once is certainly feasible, but an everyday use overclock is a different beast.

I suggest digging a little deeper into overclocking forums.

Have you tried isolating one thing at a time. Not doing a heavy CPU overclock while trying for the memory?

Reactions: PC Tailor
Try one thing at a time. Running RAM at 4000 is OCing the memory controller to get there. See if you can get XMP 4000 stable with no CPU adjustments first. Also, as you point out, 1.4v for VCCIO and VCCSA is on the high side. AUTO tends to over volt. Manually set mine to 1.05 and 1.15v respectively which is considerably lower than 1.3v set by XMP for 3200 CL14. Ran through the usual memtest86 to validate.

SharPPPy

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
First, thanks very much to all people here.
Update:
i try memtest86 pro V8.2: After first 2 pass i hit 60 error (with XMP activated), i try to pump my voltage on the ram to 1.39 but nothing change. I try my hold memory (gskill 3000CL15), i try memtest and all go good without error and with xmp up. Keeping up my old memory i try to oc my system with this setup

i1xobs.jpg

jv6peo.jpg

16aoenq.jpg

1zqeqmg.jpg

Now my question is i send my ram to RMA and Procio?

Help me pls

A few things going on here. There isn't technically anything wrong with your CPU or RAM, it's almost certain. Have you read up on OCing and modern platforms before attempting. The RAM is very likely fine, it's either some tweaks to your memory relating settings in UEFI need adjusting, or you "lost" the silicon lottery with your CPU's IMC. RAM is tested and verified to run at it's speed, but that speed isn't guaranteed on your particular system. Officially, the 9900k is only supported up to 2933. The CPU and motherboard themselves play a big role. You are also trying to run CPU with your older RAM kit without any AVX offset, which can be difficult to reach 5Ghz. Some folks will use 2, 3, or even 4. Have you tried an AVX offset? Some folks need considerably more voltage for a 0 offset. You CPU cooling system plays a big role as well in stability and being able to get to this speed. There is no guarantee whatsover that the 9900k can run at 5Ghz. I've seen reviewer's needing closer to 1.4v in some cases, which runs extremely hot. Again, it's the "silicon lottery". Some folks can get there no problem, some can't no matter what settings are used. It's not a defective part, so wouldn't truly qualify for an RMA at an honest business. Your settings look similar to mine, but I'm running LLC7, and don't use Speedstep, C1E, ect. and other power saving settings.

SharPPPy

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
A few things going on here. There isn't technically anything wrong with your CPU or RAM, it's almost certain. Have you read up on OCing and modern platforms before attempting. The RAM is very likely fine, it's either some tweaks to your memory relating settings in UEFI need adjusting, or you "lost" the silicon lottery with your CPU's IMC. RAM is tested and verified to run at it's speed, but that speed isn't guaranteed on your particular system. Officially, the 9900k is only supported up to 2933. The CPU and motherboard themselves play a big role. You are also trying to run CPU with your older RAM kit without any AVX offset, which can be difficult to reach 5Ghz. Some folks will use 2, 3, or even 4. Have you tried an AVX offset? Some folks need considerably more voltage for a 0 offset. You CPU cooling system plays a big role as well in stability and being able to get to this speed. There is no guarantee whatsover that the 9900k can run at 5Ghz. I've seen reviewer's needing closer to 1.4v in some cases, which runs extremely hot. Again, it's the "silicon lottery". Some folks can get there no problem, some can't no matter what settings are used. It's not a defective part, so wouldn't truly qualify for an RMA at an honest business. Your settings look similar to mine, but I'm running LLC7, and don't use Speedstep, C1E, ect. and other power saving settings.
Thank you very much Liquid.
So what do you think about first 2 pass with memtest v8.2 pro where i take 60 Errors with my ram 4000mhz. Now i trying with my old ram 5ghz and is stable, here the setting:

XMP profile 1
Core ratio 50
AVX 0
Cache 4.3
Core voltage: 1.31
LLC6

and i pass Prime95 after 1 hour and Cinebench.

If i try to put AVX from 1 to 4 the system crash istant during Cinebench. Atm i have in my room 26°/27°, is so hot in italy in this days XD.

Now i wanna try back my ram @4000

My water block is full EK:

xbhce9.jpg

So AVX 0 is working, but 1 or more causes issues? That seems to be reversed, as higher the offset, the lower the performance for AVX instructions. Nice build, btw :) What is the exact RAM kit you are using? Have you tried manual adjustment of DRAM, VCCIO, and VCCSA? I would be certain of CPU OC or RAM before final adjustments. In other words, be sure 5Ghz is stable on CPU. Run more benches, games, Realbench, ect. Many programs to verify stability.

SharPPPy

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
So AVX 0 is working, but 1 or more causes issues? That seems to be reversed, as higher the offset, the lower the performance for AVX instructions. Nice build, btw :) What is the exact RAM kit you are using? Have you tried manual adjustment of DRAM, VCCIO, and VCCSA? I would be certain of CPU OC or RAM before final adjustments. In other words, be sure 5Ghz is stable on CPU. Run more benches, games, Realbench, ect. Many programs to verify stability.
Ty liquid again.
If i try to put avx 1 or more system crash istant when i start cinebench, now i reach 2120 as score, but after 20 min prime crash and system put me in the bios where he adjust dram voltage from 1.35 to 1.40 and VCCIO and system agente voltage to 1.35.
Which parameters i have to modify to keep stability?

My ram are F4-4000C17Q-32GTZR

Thanks very much again

Last edited:
What prime are you running. Shouldn't use higher than 26.6 due to extreme stress from AVX power draw. More details on this can be found. I'd recommend realbench. Have you tried lower VCCIO/SA? Usually, there is a stability window. To low or high can cause issues.

SharPPPy

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
What prime are you running. Shouldn't use higher than 26.6 due to extreme stress from AVX power draw. More details on this can be found. I'd recommend realbench. Have you tried lower VCCIO/SA? Usually, there is a stability window. To low or high can cause issues.
I run prime 26.6, i try now 1.22 both for VCCIO and System Agent Voltage
I try too put up 1.33 vcore

Yes, work with only CPU OC, no XMP or memory adjustments. Leave at stock 2133, no XMP until CPU itself is dialed in. You are adding to many variables otherwise. What is max CPU voltage you are comfortable with, and what OC? Are you looking for AVX at 5ghz as well, or lower frueqency as most software doesn't use.

SharPPPy

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Yes, work with only CPU OC, no XMP or memory adjustments. Leave at stock 2133, no XMP until CPU itself is dialed in. You are adding to many variables otherwise. What is max CPU voltage you are comfortable with, and what OC? Are you looking for AVX at 5ghz as well, or lower frueqency as most software doesn't use.
About max voltage on cpu atm i don’t know in specific, because in my room i have like 27/28 degrees so the temperature could be high @ lower voltage.

Now i will try 1.32 vcore
LLC 6
AVX 0
Max/min cache Auto

Ok. I'm using 1.325v and AVX offset of 1 for reference. You are attempting core/cache both at 5ghz. If not stable, try AVX offset 1, 2, even 3. If no luck there, try 4.9ghz with same voltage. Need to find limits of your CPU. 1.3v your max safe you want to attempt? Are you using manual voltage? Cache at stock 4.3ghz? I'd use LLC7 to minimize vdroop, as it's likely similar to my board being same seeies/generation. Avoid 8 as it overshoots.

SharPPPy

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Ok. I'm using 1.325v and AVX offset of 1 for reference. You are attempting core/cache both at 5ghz. If not stable, try AVX offset 1, 2, even 3. If no luck there, try 4.9ghz with same voltage. Need to find limits of your CPU. 1.3v your max safe you want to attempt? Are you using manual voltage? Cache at stock 4.3ghz? I'd use LLC7 to minimize vdroop, as it's likely similar to my board being same seeies/generation. Avoid 8 as it overshoots.
I think i can go 1.33 but i nei check the temp, yes sue cache stock 4.3 and LLC6.
Now i try what i wrote before, if crash again i will try to adjust LL6 to 7 and AVX 1

SharPPPy

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014

I try to go down @ 4.9 with same voltage, but the system is not stable. I think i send back this CPU

SharPPPy

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
AVX offset adjust only, or CPU cores? Have you tried 4.8 all-core? More voltage, 1.35 or 1.375?
I Try 5ghz with avx 1 and 1.325 and crash (Prime)
5ghz avx 0 - 1.325 crash (Prime)
4.9ghz (avx 1-2-3) - 1.325 crash (Prime)
4.9ghz avx 0 - 1.325 crash (Prime)

I think i have bad cpu and temp are high

Ok. What about other programs than prime? Haven't used it in years myself. Its not the gold standard it used to be as it's not as "real world" as some others. Tried Realbench yet? 4.8 tested? What are your temps, likely high, as I can understand that. These CPUs get hot fast even with soldered IHS around 5ghz.

SharPPPy

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Ok. What about other programs than prime? Haven't used it in years myself. Its not the gold standard it used to be as it's not as "real world" as some others. Tried Realbench yet? 4.8 tested? What are your temps, likely high, as I can understand that. These CPUs get hot fast even with soldered IHS around 5ghz.
if i try to put 1.33 or 1.325, repeat, in my room i have 26/27°, when prime start the heavy stress after 15/16 min temp going like 90/96°.
and not being able to keep 5g is frustrating, 4.9 too

Ouch, maxed out your cooling. What is total radiator capacity again? Single loop? Prime isn't really realistic load/temps for most users, though not sure what your system is used for. The best 9900k's will hit 5ghz in 1.25v range, give or take a bit. The worst are in neighborhood of 1.4v. This may have improved with newer steppingstone though. What LLC are you at? I'm asking as for my board, I'll drop from 1.325v to about 1.27v under full stress on LLC7. After research, this is normal for this generation ASUS boards.

SharPPPy

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Ouch, maxed out your cooling. What is total radiator capacity again? Single loop? Prime isn't really realistic load/temps for most users, though not sure what your system is used for.

2x EK-CoolStream PE 360 (Triple)
EK-Velocity D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
EK-FC GeForce GTX FE RGB - Nickel

Fan and other:
2x Boxe Corsair Series LL120 Bianco RGB (6 pcs)