[SOLVED] iam going to get an i7 12700k

mahmoudkito

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2016
hello, i will buy an i7 12700k and i already have gtx 1660 super and 600 watts cooler master elite psu and 16gb ddr4 ram can i run the i7 and the 1660 super with my current psu?

Solution
You can but running an expensive high end $400 cpu on a substandard $40 psu would be absolute madness.

So essentially the answer is no!

Also I'd ask if you're that budget limited what are you going to be using for cooling?

While the i7 isn't anywhere close to being as inefficient or as thermally demanding as its i9 counterparts it still requires very good aftermarket cooling - a budget 120mm air cooler isn't really going to cut it.
You can but running an expensive high end $400 cpu on a substandard $40 psu would be absolute madness.

Also I'd ask if you're that budget limited what are you going to be using for cooling?

While the i7 isn't anywhere close to being as inefficient or as thermally demanding as its i9 counterparts it still requires very good aftermarket cooling - a budget 120mm air cooler isn't really going to cut it.

Solution

mahmoudkito

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2016

what do you suggest for cooling ?and yes iam on a limited budget and is a 750 watt psu is enough to run the i7?

Last edited:
Watts does not make a good power supply.
There are many 700w power supplies that will do 700w for a few milliseconds. Then they die a painful death destroying other parts with it. Some die outputting 400w, much less tan the 700w on the label.
Never cheap out on the power supply, unless you have money to replace everything connected to it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Kitchen knives. Ever bought a $2 kitchen knife that seemed to go dull just by looking at it? Made from cheap grade steel that simply never holds an edge. Doesn't matter if it's a small knife or a big cleaver, it's going to dull soon as you cut a tomatoe. Buy a quality knife, they stay sharp for a long time and will slice bread without crushing it.

Same goes for a psu. A quality psu uses much higher grade components, goes through higher standards of quality control, has better protective circuits and generally has far superior output amounts of voltage and cleaner power.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

Look at the label rating vs actual power. Big difference, and brand name or not doesn't mean quality.

Reactions: Unolocogringo