IBM 60GXP is oddly running slow

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I posted this exact same thing in reply to someones message but here it is again incase no one sees it in the other location:
I have a 45 gig 75GXP drive and it runs great, I got it a few months after the hard drive model was released and I have zero problems. Because that drive was so nice and fast I got two 40 gig 60GXP series and I run them in RAID-0 although right now in XP they won't show up for some reason. So because those were fast I got a 60 gig 60GXP to replace the 75GXP (75GXP will go to my dad) BUT at first when I put it in windows 98 transfered to it slow as can be. Then after a reformat it STILL ran super slow, but once I finished updating the OS and drivers it didn't have problems any more.
Then I go to install windows XP and it runs SUPER slow again. I'm talking 4 hours to install XP because its so damn slow, AND it takes me about 20 minutes for XP to finally load. so in my case I'm just curious why the heck my drive runs slow sometimes and super fast other times.
Is it possible I formatted it wrong? or partitioned it wrong?

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
What drivers are you using for RAID? Perhaps they might need to be updated or something?

Check your IDE cables. Unplug, and replug them in to make sure they aren't loose.

<A HREF="http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm" target="_new">http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm</A>

Download Drive Fitness Test, and check all your hard drives thoroughly. Perhaps one more format to do the trick? I don't know...I'm not familiar with RAID. (Sorry)

If all else fails, RMA it...

BTW, can you go to PCPitStop and run a full test, then tell me the details of your hard drive results? Maybe I can compare them to mine.

Don't pay any attention to my chickenscratch. :eek:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
so is the 60gxp in raid or not.... if not check to see its UDMA status... make sure it hasnt somewhow slipped back to PIO mode (yuck)

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?

TRENDING THREADS