Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Recently I´ve had a couple of systemcrashes for unknown reasons, really mean crashes...Only solution is to reinstall Windows again.
I suspect that it is my HD that are messing things up, it´s a IBM60gxp.
When I installed a game I got a error message, it said that a windows directory were missing.
I restarted and found out that there were only 3 directories left on my drive and they had funny characters instead of their original names.
I ran scandisk and it took like 3 hours to correct all the files (anyone knows how to install windows without running scandisk?).
It´s not a virus (not that I know of anyway) and I have run the SMART utility to see if my disk is faulty, everything seems fine...
Anyone has any ideas?

The best defense against the atom bomb is not to be there when it goes off.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
have you tried a llf?
a low level format restores the drive to the state it was in when it "rolled" out of the manufacturer's plant.
then format, and install windows.
if that doesnt fix it, then i dont know.
another thing, how long ago did you get this drive.
if it was recent, and the store you bought it from will take it back still, i would say take it back.
sounds to me like the drive is failing, or there is something wrong with the controller for the hd.
give some more system specs...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
How do I do a Lowlevelformat?
I bought it 3 months ago.
I have a P2-266 with a quite old Abit motherboard (VA-6 if I remember correct), not using ATA-100, but ATA-66.
256Mb ram, Sony CD-writer (The HD has a own cable).

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
ibm's site should have a program that can run diagnostics on the drive...and it will have something in there that will low level format the drive.
after three months, i dont know if you will be able to take the drive back to the place you bought it.
but....i think it will still be under warranty from ibm.
so if the diagnostic program comes back with errors, then give ibm a call, and see what they say.
they might be able to swap drives for you, and give you one that isnt defective...but you must run the tests on the drive to rule out the drive...
also, if you have another ide cable sitting around, try using that, because i had a problem with an old wd drive, and i swapped out the cable, and BAM, it worked.
here is a link to ibm's program that can do the tests, and the low level format.
<A HREF="http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm" target="_new">http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm</A>
i hope that it can fix the drive, because i know how annoying a non-functional drive can be....first hand!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
It might be...I downloaded some soundfiles that contained
sounds your HD will make if it´s fubar.
My HD does not sound anything like it.
So, I can rule the "click-of-death" syndrom out.

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
btw, you mean the controller on the mobo, right?
Or is it a controller in the hd as well?

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
ok, I will find out eventually when I hook it up with my new Epox mobo, only 1 month to go...