IBM 75GXP Drives

G

I currently own an IBM 75GXP 75gb drive and have had repeated problems with it. After looking back through the posts here, I noticed that others have had similar problems to what I have. The problem comes about when out of the blue, the drive emits what others describe as a screeching or scratching sound with intermittent clicks. The result is either bad sectors or lost files and commonly the lack of Windows boot-up files. Right now I'm running this on an AMD 750 reference board with a Slot A 1ghz Thunderbird processor and attached to a Promise ATA 100 card. Something I noticed is that some other people saw the "bad sectors" label that Windows gives them and immediately identified it as a hardware problem with the drive. Through my studies I have concluded that this is more a problem with drivers and partitioning schemes as well as operating system versions. I noticed that after a normal high-level format, the drive will continue operation for approximately the same amount of time from when it was brand new to when the problem first occurs. I would like to request that anyone who has an IBM 75GXP drive and has encountered these problems, or someone who has had the drive and no problems for over 6 months to post the following information:

1. Operating Systems and Versions (ie. Win98SE, Linux (Kernel version))
2. What model your motherboard is or what chipset(s) its based on and any external or modular ATA controllers attached to it. Also, the type of IDE slot it's hooked up to (ATA33,66,100)
3. The size of the drive.
4. Your partitioning scheme.

Oddly, I've had two of these drives, one was replaced from warranty, and have had these problems repeat themselves maybe 10 or so times. But strangely my brother, who has the same drive, only smaller in size, has had no problems whatsoever. Maybe from some posts we might be able to identify the source of these problems. It seems that IBM doesn't know a thing about this, and because the drives are rapidly aging, I doubt they're going to do anything either.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
did you know there is a known issue with windows 98/ME, fast 1000mhz+ processors and ibm drives?

hae u tried using the patch?

curious hamster

My Hamster doesnt like sarcasm. He may very well bite you in your hard to reach places!

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>Okie dokey, I have only had this since March, but here ya go. I have experienced no problems with the hd's. Even survived a lightening strike (albeit more expensive stuff didn't).

Abit KT7A-RAID (via KT133a)
Athlon 1.2 @ 1.5333/266
NT sp6 dual boot w/ 98 se (although I exclusively use NT - 98 rarely ever used)
2x 45g 75gxp ATA100 (striped-0)
c: NT os (8g NTFS primary)
(hidden) 98 os/apps (30g FAT32 primary)
d: NT files (44g NTFS logical)
(hidden) 98 swap (Fat32 1g logical)
e: NT Swap (1g NTFS logical)
f: Shared 1 (2g Fat16 logical)
g: Shared 2 (2g Fat16 logical)
h: Shared 3 (2g Fat16 logical)

obviously the NTFS go hidden the Fat32 primary active. It totally sucks that the larget shared drive (one read by both NT and 98) is 2g. By the way, NTFS totally rules.

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>